We live in a fast-paced society. Work, keeping appointments, running errands, tending to household chores; by the end of the day, you feel like you’re going to collapse (and probably do, right on your couch or in your bed!)
All of that chaos can leave you feeling run-down, detached, and just completely exhausted. While planning an elaborate vacation on a tropical island at a 5-star resort would certainly be wonderful, you’re budget probably doesn’t allow for such lavishness.
Fortunately, there’s a way that you can get away from it all, kick back, relax, and reconnect with your loved ones, yourself – and nature – without breaking your budget.
How? – By going camping!
When you’re feeling like you need to take a break from reality, camping is just what the doctor ordered. Spending some time in nature unattached to your demanding schedule and disconnected from electronics and the never-ending stream of information is exactly what you need to recharge your batteries and feel less like an automaton and more like a human again.
If you’ve never been camping before, you might be feeling a bit concerned about what to bringing. While you want to “get back to basics”, you still want to be comfortable and have all of the essentials on-hand to ensure your excursion is a success.
So, what should you bring? In this guide, we’ll share a list of all the basics that you’ll want to take along on your first camping trip.
The first (and most basic) essential that you’ll want to have for a camping trip is a tent. Shelter from the elements is absolutely essential, and a tent provides the portable shelter you need to stay warm, dry, and comfortable.
With so many different styles, types, and sizes to choose from, however, trying to select the right tent might seem like a daunting experience. Here are some tips to help you make the right choice for your needs:
- Size. You’ll want to make sure that you choose a tent that offers enough space for you and your comrades to spread out, but you don’t want your tend to be so big that setting it up and breaking it down is a pain. Consider the number of people who will be sharing the space and make sure that the tent can accommodate everyone. It should offer enough room to fit all of the air mattresses and/or sleeping bags you plan on using. Before you buy, it’s a good idea to get inside a set-up floor model so you can see how much floor space and head room it offers. Make sure there’s enough space for you to sit up without pumping your head and enough room for the tallest member of your crew to fully stretch out. As a general rule-of-thumb, choose a tent that has a capacity for two people more than the actual number of people who will be using it; for example, if you’re camping with 6 people, opt for an 8-person tent.
- Three-season style. A three-season tent is comprised of a body, mesh panels, and a rainfly. All of these things combined provide you with shelter from the elements, as well as the ventilation that’s needed to avoid stuffiness and dampness inside the tent.
- Privacy. If you’re camping with a big group or young children, you may want to consider a multi-room tent. A 2-room tent features two spaces that are separated by panels that can zipper shut, closing off one section of the tent from the other. A 3-room tent is the same basic design, but it also features a screened-in “porch” on the exterior, which is great for changing out of shoes and clothing or for storing gear apart from the main “living” area.
- A tub floor. You never know when it’s going to rain. To avoid getting flooded out, opt for a tent that features a one-piece sub floor that’s constructed of waterproof fabric. These floors are seamless, so water can’t penetrate through.
Best Selling Tents
- 【Roomy for 6 People Family】 CAMPROS tent is the perfect family tent you’ve ever seen. With Size: 11' x 7' x 72"(H)（77 sq ft）, 1 queen air mattresses or 6 sleeping bags are well fit in the tent. Ideal for family car camping or camping site.
- 【Durable & High-Quality Material】 Made with 185T polyester. With the 1000mm polyurethane hydrostatic rated coating high-tech, the tent guarantees PU1000mm water-resistant. The tent stays completely dry under the light rain. CAMPROS tent keeps you warm and take you to sweet dreams at night. Ideal for outdoor camping, hiking, fishing in all weather.
- 【Easy Set-Up】 No particular skills needed, 2 people could set up the tent easily in 5 min. The camping tent comes with a smooth 2-way zipper and well-made poles. The carry bag is 24.6 x 8.26 x 8.26 inches big as a sleeping bag. You could restore the tent in the carry bag easily.
- 【Breathable】The camping tent has 1 large mesh door, 4 mesh windows & mesh tent top, which allow the breeze to come in and keep the bugs out. The camping tent weighs 12.8 lb. You could carry the bag in your backpack or store in the car easily.
- 【No Risk Purchase】 CAMPROS offers unconditional 1-year quality assurance to offer you a risk-free purchase. If you have any questions about the tent, email us at any time. We offer a 24/7 customer service and we’ll give you a satisfied solution in 12 hrs. The tent also includes stainless stakes, guy line rope for protection. Just buy it!
- Weatherproof: Welded corners and inverted seams keep water from getting in; included rainfly offers extra weather protection. Strong frame is tested to withstand 35+ MPH winds
- Hinged door: Easily opens and closes and includes an extended awning
- Storage pockets: Keep small gear organized and off the floor
- Built to last: Double-thick fabric stands up to the elements season after season
- Conventional pitch: Sets up in 15 minutes
- Dark room technology: Blocks 90% of sunlight (vs. a comparable Coleman tent) so you can sleep in past sunrise
- Reduces heat: For a more comfortable rest anytime of day
- Weatherproof: Welded corners and inverted seams keep water from getting in; included rainfly offers extra weather protection
- Visibility at night: Reflective guy lines are easier to spot in the dark
- Room divider: For added privacy
When you’re sleeping out in nature, basic blankets won’t cut it; instead, you’ll want to invest in a quality sleeping bag to keep you warm and cozy.
Check the temperature rating of the sleeping bag and consider the time of year when you’ll be camping. If you’re going out during the warmer weather, a summer sleeping bag should work just fine; however, if you intend on camping again after your first trip or you just want to ensure that you’re ready for any type of weather Mother Nature throws your way, a 3-season bag is a better idea, as you can adjust it according to the temperature.
Another suggestion: avoid the “mummy-“type sleeping bags and instead, go for a standard rectangular sleeping bag; it will give you a lot more room to spread out.
You’ll also want to bring along a surface to set your sleeping bag up on. While an air mattress might be tempting, if it gets cold, it won’t do you much good, as there’s no insulation; plus, there’s a chance that it could pop or deflate, and even if it doesn’t, you’ll need to worry about inflating and deflating it.
With that said, we recommend a sleeping pad. These pads are specifically designed for camping. They provide a bit of cushioning between you and the ground, and they also act as a layer of insulation from the cold earth.
Look for something that’s made of durable, high-quality materials that have insulating qualities; the higher the insulation value (known as “R-value”), the better.
Best Selling Sleeping Bags
- USED FOR 3 SEASONS:Our Sleeping Bags can be used for 3 seasons.They are designed for 10~20 Degrees Celsius. Moreover, these bags also have a weather-resistant design to keep you warm even in extreme conditions and prevent you from any dampness - this is achieved through double-filled technology.our sleeping bags are designed to ensure that after a tiring day of trekking, hiking, travel or any other exploration you can get a good and relaxing night’s sleep.
- DESIGN: Separated zipper at the bottom can also make your feet often come out through the wind. Half-circle hood with adjustable drawstring keeps your head warmer even in extreme conditions.Our sleeping bags are designed to provide much needed rest after a full day of outdoor activities.
- MATERIAL:Outer Cover Material-premium 210T Anti-tearing Polyester Fabric which is waterproof and Breathable; Lining Material:190T polyester pongee ; Fill-Material:100% hollow cotton
- SIZE&EASY TO CARRY:(190 + 30)cm x 75 cm.Can be wiped clean making it versatile and convenient. Each sleeping bag comes with a compression sack with straps, allowing for super convenient storage and easy carry maneuverability
- 100% SATISFACTION :100% NO QUESTIONS ASKED, no hassle money back or replacement .We try over very best to make sure every customer is completely satisfied. If there's a problem, message us! Order now!At your service,dear.Anyway,thanks for your coming
- GREAT FOR ALL SEASONS - Rated temperature 5(℃)--25(℃), which allows sleeper warm even at 40(℉). Comfort temperature is 17(℃)--24(℃). This is achieved through double-filled technology. Perfect for backpacking, camping and hiking even using at home. Certainly the best sleeping bag for adventures
- GET FANTASTIC FREEDOM WITH SPECIAL DESIGN - Measures 29.5 W x 86.6 H in Perfectly fits an average size adult, and tons of space for kids. Two-way zipper with “zipper guard” to prevent stuck hooks effectively. Separated zipper at the bottom can also make your feet often come out through the wind. Double zipper slider allow you to open the bottom of the sleeping bag at a warm night. You can even fully open the sleeping bag then use as a blanket.
- ULTRA LIGHTWEIGHT AND EASY TO PACK - Can be packed down into an ultra compact bag in seconds. There’s no need to fold or roll it. Just stuff it into the sturdy carrying bag, pull the straps, and it folds down into a small, light THREE POUND package that will easily fit in any backpack.
- EASY TO CARRY AND CLEAN - Comes up with a travel-friendly carry bag, a compression sack with straps, which makes it quite convenient to store and carry along. Can easily be wiped clean or machine washed making it versatile and convenient.
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - 60 DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE. We’ve been struggling to provide the best experience to customers. Please Feel free to contact us if there is any issue should be solved. Thank you!
- DESIGNED FOR COOL/COLD WEATHER - Our sleeping bags have a waterproof, weather-resistant design to keep you warm even in extreme conditions and prevent you from any dampness - this is achieved through double-filled technology.
- USED FOR 3 SEASONS - Rated temperature 41-77℉/5-25℃. Comfort temperature is 50-68℉/10-20℃. Lightweight & compact design which is convenient to carry along for any outdoor adventures, and its ability to withstand extreme weather conditions – certainly the best sleeping bag for adventures
- EASY TO CARRY AND CLEAN – The Gold Armour sleeping bags are also extremely easy to clean as they are safer for machine wash too. Moreover, each sleeping bag comes with a travel-friendly carry bag, a compression sack with straps, which makes it quite convenient to store and carry the sleeping bag along. The bags are not only ideal for cold conditions but even for warmer weather.
- DESIGN: Separated zipper at the bottom can also make your feet often come out through the wind.
- Material - Outer Cover Material:210T Nylon,Waterproof and Breathable Fabrics;Lining Material: 190T Polyester Pongee; Fill-Material: 100% hollow cotton.
You’ll also want to make sure that you bring the necessary essentials to prepare meals. There are a few basics that you’ll definitely want to bring along, including:
- A camp stove. A traditional camp stove, which features two burners and is powered by propane, is really all you need. It’s lightweight, easy to transport, and easy to set up. It also offers enough space to hold skillets, pots, and even a camp coffee pot (you’ll definitely want to bring one of those along, too!). Make sure you pack a few canisters of fuel to be on the safe side. Also, we suggest trying it out before you head out, just to make sure you know how to work it.
- A cooler. Since you won’t have a fridge, you’ll need to keep your food and drinks cold somehow! Make sure you opt for a high-quality, durable cooler that offers enough space to accommodate the perishable foods you plan on bringing, as well as a few cold beverages. The thicker the insulation, the longer your stuff will stay cold. If you’re packing for a large crew, a cooler that features built-in wheels and handles is a great choice, as you’ll find it’s a lot easier to tote around.
- Pots and pans. Bring along at least one frying pan and one pot.
- Plates and cups. While you don’t want to use anything breakable, you should also avoid single-use products to reduce your waste. Reusable plates, bowls, and cups that are made of non-breakable materials are ideal. You can wash them down when you’re finished and use them over and over again.
- Cutlery and cooking utensils. Again, you don’t want to bring your best stuff, but you also should avoid single-use items. Instead, opt for inexpensive and reusable spoons, forks, knives, spatulas, tongs, mixing spoons, etc.
- A coffee pot. We mentioned it above, but it’s worth mentioning again; make sure you bring along a portable coffee pot that can be used on a camp stove so you can brew up a fresh cup o’ joe when you need a pick-me-up.
While a campfire can certainly serve as a source of light, it won’t do you any good when you’re trying to get ready for bed in your tent or you need to make a trip to the bathroom.
Portable lighting is essential. Pack plenty of flashlights and battery-operated lanterns. Headlamps are great, too, especially when you need to see what you’re doing but also need to use both of your hands.
A Utility Knife
A utility knife is another must-have. You don’t need anything crazy, but something that offers the basics, such as a foldable blade, a can opener, a screw driver, etc. This tool will come in handy for so many different reasons; cutting kindling, slicing food, opening cans, etc.
Staying hydrated is always important, but particularly when you’re out in nature, hiking, playing, or just soaking up the sun. Make sure you bring something that can hold plenty of water; ideally, it should be insulated, too, to keep your H2O nice and cool. An easy to open lid is important, and you may even want to opt for something that has a clip that you can connect to a belt loop for hands-free portability.
First Aid Kit
While you certainly hope you’ll get through your trip unscathed, it’s far better to be prepared. With a first aid kit, you’ll be able to tend to any unexpected cuts, bruises, scrapes, burns, bug bites, or blisters that may pop up.
The easiest option: purchase a pre-assembled first aid kit that features all of the essentials, including:
- Bandages (in an assortment of sizes)
- Antiseptic wipes
- Burn cream
- Anti-itch cream
- Medical tape
- Disposable sterile gloves
- Pain relievers
- Antiseptic cream
- Cough medicine
- Sun burn relief cream
- Antihistamine tablets and cream
- Eye wash
- Distilled water
You could also make up your own first aid kit. If you do, make sure you include these basic essentials. Also, if young children will be traveling with you, make sure you bring along kid-safe medications.
Best Selling First Aid Kits
- Contains 299 essential first aid supplies for treating minor aches and injuries
- Clear plastic pockets for organization and easy access to first aid supplies in an emergency
- Ideal for home, travel and on the go use
- Compact case measures 9.25" x 2.875" x 7"
- Case color may vary based on availability
- Fully organized interior compartments provides quick access. The rugged, sturdy, high density plastic case is impact resistant
- Compact size case measures 7.5in x 2.5in x 6.8in, is portable and can easily fit anywhere.
- Features Easy Slide Latches that securely locks into place.
- Manufactured by the #1 leading manufacturer of First Aid Kits in the USA. 100 pieces of comprehensive first aid treatment products.
- This Kit meets United States FDA Regulatory Standards as a Medical Device. Ideal for most businesses and perfect for family use at home or travel.
- OSHA Compliant
- 57 first aid supplies sufficient to treat up to 10 people
- Ideal for the small office, vehicle, home or jobsite
- Handle for transport to the injury site or wall mountable
- Durable plastic storage case with individual compartments to keep supplies organized and easily located in an emergency
Toiletries and Cleaning Supplies
To tend to basic hygiene, make sure you bring the basic toiletries and cleaning supplies. Examples of products that you’ll want to have on-hand include:
- Bar soap (packed in a portable, waterproof container)
- Sanitary products (if needed)
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Toilet paper
- Towels/hand towels
- Hand sanitizer
- Multi-surface spray cleaner (biodegradable is ideal)
- Paper towels
- Trash bags
Even if the campground has a restroom and a general store, you’ll still want to pack these items with you. If the store is out of soap or the bathroom runs out of toilet paper, you’ll be happy you came prepared!
Even if your campsite offers a picnic table and benches, you’ll still want to bring along a camp chair; these chairs are a lot more comfortable than those metal or wood benches.
Camp chairs that are collapsible are ideal. We also suggest investing in something with a high back for better support, as well as arms that come complete with built-in cup holders for your comfort and convenience.
Best Selling Camping Chairs
- Camping chair combines a cozy design with a convenient armrest cooler
- Built in 4 can cooler pouch keeps cold drinks within reach
- Fully cushioned seat and back provide support and comfort. Comfortable 18.1 inch. Sitting height
- Mesh cup holder and side pocket offer quick access to personal items
- Collapsible, folding design is easy to store and transport
- Lightweight: The folding camping chair weighs 6. 9 lbs. So you can take it everywhere with ease. It comes with a carrying bag for easy travel and to make storage easy. The durability makes for a reliable chair that can be used season after season
- Durable Material: 100% polyester fabric for a super strong and lightweight fabric. The 16mm steel tube frame with powder coating creates a durable frame. The portable camping chair can support up to 300lbs
- Comfortable Design: Scientific structure design with full back makes this sports chair comfortable to sit and relax. The foldable chair equipped with a cup holder and a cooler on each side, so you can relax without a care
- Open Size: Quad chair seat width-23. 2 inches, seat depth-19. 3 inches, seat height-18. 9 inches, total height-39. 8 inches. Great size for any outdoor activities and indoor use
- Versatile: Great camping chairs for adults. The natural color design makes this quad camping chair fashion and suitable for all your outdoor life, like hiking, camping, traveling, fishing or watching your favorite sporting events
- -This portable Dual Lock chair gives you a premium seating experience with no-sag seating, durable diamond ripstop polyester, and breathable mesh on seat back
- -The Dual Lock chair is perfect to take with you whether you are tailgating, camping, or watching your favorite sports teams
- -Includes: 2 cup holders, organizer with zip & mesh pockets, carry strap attached to chair, and carry bag
- -Supports up to 300 pounds. Dimensions-26 L x 35.4 W x 37.4 H inches. Product Weight- 9.4 pounds
- -Locks open for extra stability/ Locks shut for easy transport
Of course, you’ll want to make sure that you pack up some yummy snacks and nourishing meals. But again, you aren’t going to have access to a fridge or microwave, so the meals and snacks you’d usually munch on at home might not work at a campground. Instead, you’ll want to bring easy to prep and easy to cook items, or things that don’t need to cooked. Examples include:
- Dehydrated foods
- Trail mix
- Cereal bars
- Dried fruits
- Instant coffee/tea
- Deli meats/packaged meats/cheeses
- Popcorn (that you can cook on a campfire, of course!)
- S’more supplies
Those are just some suggestions. When it comes to the food you bring camping, just be smart and plan ahead. Make sure all perishable items are properly packed and stored in your cooler (and of course, be sure you bring along plenty of ice and ice packs so that your cooler stays nice and chilled).
Additionally, it’s a good idea to pack your perishables in air-tight, waterproof containers so that they won’t be exposed to water as the ice in your cooler melts.
Drinks are also important. Of all the beverages you pack, it goes without saying that clean water is an absolute must; however, you can also pack some other beverages, such as juices, sodas, and even some adult libations (for those who are 21 and over in your party, of course!).