There is nothing worse than being out in the cold weather and having freezing feet. A good pair of socks and boots can help, but sometimes it’s not enough to keep the frigidness out.
Especially if you will be out in the cold weather for long periods of time skiing, snowboarding, or hiking; you may want to consider a pair of boot warmers.
There are plenty of options out there on the market depending on your needs. Prices also range from affordable to a little more expensive depending on how you expect your warmers to function.
There are units out there for a casual day in the cold, as well as for performance athletes that spend a majority of their time in frigid temperatures.
We took a look at some of the industry’s best boot warmers and here are our top 5 Picks.
Our 5 Best Boot Warmers
Multiple Heat Settings
|Hotronic XLP ONE Heated Sock|
Calves to toes
|Lenz Unisex Heated Sock|
Calves to toes
|Therm-ic Super Set Insole|
Bottom of foot
|ThermaCELL ProFLEX Insole|
Bottom of foot
|HotHands Foot Insole|
Bottom of foot
1. Hotronic XLP ONE Heat Sock – Best Pick
It’s worn just like a regular sock, and is just as comfortable as one as well. The Hotronic is made from a blend of 70% nylon, 20% spandex, and 10% merino wool, giving you comfort, warmth, and stretch.
It is also designed with gradual pressure distribution to maximizes both comfort and warmth. Powered by a lithium ion battery, heat is supplied along the lower leg and then wraps around to also heat up the toes and the ball of the foot. The battery pack is securely held in place on the back of the sock’s double cuff.
The XLP ONE battery pack is a reliable battery that maintains up to 90% of a full charge and 90% of its initial capacity after two years of nonuse. The battery will provide continuous heating power, rather than the uneven heating output you sometimes get with other models.
There are four heat levels with the Hotronic XLP ONE. There are also three base levels, plus a boost level that gives you an extra boost of heat on a timer. It’s a great option for a variety of temperature situations.
2. Lenz Products Unisex Set Lithium Pack Heated Sock – Bluetooth Remote
The Lenz Unisex warmer is also made to fit like a heated sock. It is soft and comfortable, made from a polyester blend with merino and a few other synthetic fabrics. They are flexible and designed so that the heating element does not place too much pressure on your foot.
The lithium battery is snapped securely onto the upper cuff of the sock so it is out of the way. You’ll get up to 14 hours of heat with a full charge of the battery. There are also three different heat settings so you have control in a variety of temperatures.
The Lenz Unisex socks also come with a remote control option that works through your phone via the Lenz Heat app. You can download the app for a free trial but unfortunately, the app does cost $4-5. However, it is useful as it lets you see the current percentage of the battery, allows you to adjust the temperature settings, and it lets you turn the socks heating element on or off.
The merino wool allows theses socks to breath and manages moisture, this keeps your feet warm but prevents them from sweating. They are also odor resistant and quick drying, making them the perfect option for long days out in the cold weather.
3. Therm-ic Classic Insole Super Max Set – Includes Overcharge Protection
You can achieve up to 18 hours of heat with this power pack when set to low, 7.5 hours on medium, and up to 3 hours on high.
Power and duration of heat depends on whether or not the batteries are freshly charged. Keep in mind that you have to option to turn the power off, so you can save energy by turning them off when inside for a lunch break. This helps to extend their life out in the cold.
If you utilize the highest setting you will get less heat time out of the Therm-ic Classic. You’ll still get enough hours in to have a great day out on the slopes or hiking. The nickel metal hydride batteries can be charged up to 1,000 times.
The heating set comes with a charger that includes overcharge protection, so you can go to sleep with it plugged in and don’t have to worry about overcharging the battery. It also has a fairly quick recharging time of 4.5 hours.
The charger is a global charger that will work in North America, UK, and Europe. It can also be used in other countries with a power converter so you can take your warmers with you to multiple locations.
4. ThermaCELL ProFLEX Heated Insole – Extra Batteries
The battery is easy to charge as it includes a wall charger or can be paired with any USB port. Simply remove the battery pack from the insole, rather than removing the entire insole, when you need to charge.
It is highly water-resistant, made from a polyurethane foam that is breathable, transfers heat efficiently, with great shape retention and shock absorbency. You will receive up to 5 hours of warmth per charge and there are 3 different regulated temperature settings for a variety of heat options. It takes approximately 4 hours to charge and also includes an extra set of batteries.
The insoles are extremely comfortable and can be used for daily wear, even without the heating element. You can get approximately 500 uses out of these heated insoles. The ThermaCELL Heated Insoles come with a convenient remote control that has a 7 foot range so you can mange your heating settings without removed the entire insole.
They won’t get quite as warm as some other boot warming units; however, they are enough to get the job done in mildly cold temps. These are a great mid-level option for someone that may take family vacations to colder environments a few times out of the year.
5. Hot Hands Insole Foot Warmers – Best Price
HotHands Insole Foot Warmers are single-use, air activated heat packs that provide warmth and are ideal for those that don’t spend a lot of time in the cold and just need something for a quick trip to colder climates.
The insole foot warmers are thin and measure the full length of an insole to keep your entire foot warm.
Most boots warmers are pretty expensive, making these one-time-use warmers ideal for those on a budget.
The heat is air-activated but it will take about 15-30 minutes for them to fully heat up. If the heat decreases too quickly, just expose them to warmer air for a bit and shake.
These odorless liners are safe and disposable without risk of hurting the environment. However, you shouldn’t apply them directly to your skin. There are 16 pairs included in one box.
Other Best Selling Options
- No more cold feet. premium-quality heated insoles with far infrared rubber heating element, large heating area, deep and even heat distribution.The 18 cm long heating surface warms the foot from the heel to the toe.
- Lithium-Ion Battery powered with 4-level heat regulator. Power: Li-Ion Battery 2500mAh, 7.4 V, 6W/DC.
- Box contents: 2 heated insoles, 2x Li-Ion batteries , 1 charger, 2 gaiters, 2 extension for gaiter,1 instruction manual. * extra battery purchase: www.amazon.com/dp/B07FMDYLJJ
- Washable (hand and machine), thickness: 6mm, Size:US 4.5 - 14, cable length: 70 cm
- Areas of application: * skiing and other sports. * *.Army, Police and ambulance staff. * *.Against the cold in the household. * *.Outdoor Cycling.* * Work in cold outside or in the fridge.
- STABILIZER CAP: the base of the insole that supports the rearfoot and provides structure and stability to the foam layer
- DEEP HEEL CUP: features a deep, narrow heel cup that helps absorb shock and position the foot in the boot for a smoother, more comfortable ride
- SUPERFEET SHAPE: the slim, contoured shape helps stabilize and support the foot, which can help redistribute weight evenly across the foot, reduce stress on feet, ankles and knees
- RESPONSIVE TEMPERATURE CONTROL: top cover treated with OUTLAST ADAPTIVE COMFORT to absorb, store and release warmth | THERMAL LAYER: open cell thermal layer traps warmth and adds protection against the cold | FOIL FOREFOOT: a light-but-durable insulating foil deflects cold away from the forefoot
- HIGH-IMPACT FOAM LAYER: the closed-cell foam supports and cushions the foot so you can keep taking runs while others are back in the lodge
- ✔ RECHARGEABLE FOOT WARMER: This is a portable rechargeable heated insoels. Rechargeable lithium ion polymer batteries are mounted to your ankle via velcro tape. These can be charged via power bank or mobile phone ac adapter.
- ✔ HIGH CAPACITY: High capacity batteries offer 5-6 continuous hours of runtime with fully rechargeable Batteries. Warming time is varies in different environment. The temperature will reach up to 120 °F to warm cold feet in winter without too hot to sweat.
- ✔ MOBILE CAMPING FOOT WARMER: The heated insoles is Made from soft elastic EVA-foam, Thickness is approximately 0.19 In . You feet don't feeling any tight squeeze when the insoles fit in to your shoes.
- ✔ VENTED DESIGN: This electric insoles can be bent by 180 degree. It is washable, reuseable. And you can wash it via brush.(not for machine washing). This battery foot warmers are the perfect solution to your cold feet- Keeping your feet warm without getting hot to the touch and making them sweat
- ✔ ONE SIZE FIT ALL: This insoles can be cut into your size. ( US Shoes Size 7.5-12 ) Best unisex heated boot insoles for outdoor sports, chores,hunting, hiking,camping,fishing etc.
Choosing The Right Boot Warmers
When choosing the right boot warmers for you there are a few things to keep in mind. You’ll want to think about how you will be using your boots and where you will be spending most of your time.
You’ll also want to factor in battery life, heat settings, installation and ease of use. When and where will you be using your boot warmers? Are you hiking, skiing, or simply walking around in a colder climate?
Someone who likes to get out there every once in a while, to local mountains, won’t need the same product as someone skiing in subzero conditions.
Battery Life And Heat Settings
Battery capacity and its duration are directly connected with temperature levels your beginners ski boot warmers will provide. Depending on the unit, you can achieve up to 22 hours of heat time on low settings, others may only provide 4-5 hours.
You’ll want to consider if the battery is rechargeable and also factor in the recharging time. Some units also include extra batteries to be sure to look into that if you know you’ll need extending heating time.
Heaters usually have multiple different heating temperatures that can effect how long the battery will last. If you’ll be spending a lot of time in frigid temps doing activities such as skiing, you’ll want a product that has a long battery life, as well as a high heating option.
You may also want to find a boot warmer that provides heat to more than just the bottom of the foot.
Also, be sure to factor in the installation method and ease of use of the product. Most units are placed in your boot with a mounted battery to the side of your boot or attached to the heating unit. Just make sure you find a warming unit that doesn’t have an uncomfortable battery location.
Some boot warmers come with a remote control so you can easily change settings, others require you to remove to boot to access the temp controls. This is a great feature as it allows you to quickly and easily access the temperature, so you can lower the temperature when you are active and increase it as you become sedentary and produce less sweat.
Every heating unit operates differently. Some come pre-packaged as socks with the warming mechanism comfortable weaved inside the material. Other options are simply an insole with a battery attachment.
New boots have the plugs already accessible and makes attachment of the battery super easy. Older models might have a little more complicated installation process as you must attach the wires to the boot with tape and strap the battery to the boot.
The ideal warmers should be as least invasive as possible. You don’t want to feel a bunch of additional items pressing into your foot throughout the day. However, you may notice a bit of extra material the first time you wear boot warmers. Modern ski boot heaters aren’t too heavy and you will adapt fairly quickly with use.
In general, the more durable the warming unit is and the more temperature levels there are, the higher the price.
However, there are still plenty of good quality to price ratio units on the market. Just be sure to thoroughly consider your needs before you purchase a unit.
If you don’t spend a lot of time in frigid temperatures, you will be able to withstand the cold with cheaper solutions.
A great pair of thick socks and a single-use heating option may be the right fit for you. However, if you will be spending a lot of hours with you feet deep in the snow, you will definitely want a more high-end unit with powerful heating options.