Grab your gear and head out to the beach – it’s a sunny day, and the weather is beautiful. With the sun high in the sky, the clear blue water beckons you. Strap on your snorkeling gear, defog your mask and start swimming out to the reef for some fun.
Swimming in the sea is amazing; the slow surge and ebb of the waves on a small-surf day are relaxing and entertaining. However, try and open your eyes underwater, and the painful stinging of the saltwater leaves them feeling dry and sore for the rest of the day.
If you want to avoid red eyes and see all the natural beauty on the reef, you need a diving mask. The mask forms a barrier between your eyes and the ocean, giving you a clear view of what’s going on underwater. With a diving mask, you can experience the glory of the colors bouncing off the fish as they swim around the coral’s spectacular displays on the reef.
You’re going to need to come to the surface for air eventually – no-one has the benefit of being born with gills like Kevin Costner in “Waterworld.” If you want to enjoy your snorkeling experience, you’re going to need a snorkel, and let’s not forget about the fins for propelling yourself through the surf.
Choosing the best snorkeling kit is a challenge if you have no idea about the best brands and equipment types. While it may seem like masks, fins, and snorkels are standard items, different designs affect your gear’s performance.
In this review, we’ll look at the best snorkeling gear for your next beach vacation.
Our Top Picks
We went through snorkeling sets from the leading brands to settle on these three options as our top picks.
We recommend you choose one of these sets for your next snorkeling experience. There’s a set to suit all types of budgets, and they all offer top levels of performance for your snorkeling trip. Choose the set that matches your needs and your budget and book the plane tickets to Cancun!
Best Pick: TUSA Sports Travel Set
- Travel snorkel set for adults includes mask, snorkel and fins in zippered travel bag
- Lightweight low-profile 2-window mask design with large lenses for maximum field of view
- Mask features ClearVu tempered glass lenses and hypoallergenic crystal silicone skirt and strap
- Hyperdry Elite snorkel features dry top technology and ortho-conscious mouthpiece
- Fins offer an advanced multi-flex long blade design with thrust channel technology
TUSA is a leading brand in snorkeling and diving equipment. This set from TUSA offers you the best overall value in this review. You get a set with a low-volume, high-visual mask, a dry snorkel for optimal breathwork at the surface after deep dives, and a pair of snorkeling find that fit into your dive boots.
Runner Up Pick: US Divers Admiral 2
- 2-window mask with expanded top to bottom viewing
- Hypoallergenic silicone face skirt provides ultimate comfort
- Pinch and pull Pro-Glide buckles for custom fit
- 100% submersible snorkel featuring Pivot Dry Technology
- Contoured barrel is ergonomically shaped for correct positioning and comfort
If you’re looking to purchase another awesome set, we recommend investing in the US Divers Admiral set. This snorkeling set comes with fins, masks, snorkels, and a handy carry case for transporting your gear.
Budget Pick: Promate Snorkel Set
- PACKAGE INCLUDES: Adjustable Open Heel Fins - Silicone One Window Mask - dry Snorkel - Nylon Mesh Bag w/ Cord Drawstring
- Open Heel Fins: Drag reducing jet vented design | Easy adjust strap with release buttons
- Single Lens Mask. The panoramic view you are looking for in a snorkel mask, with adjust buckle attaching skirt help fit more
- Dry Top Snorkel. For snorkeling, the most desirable snorkel is this Dry Top.
- Amazing low package price for all four items and good for traveling.
Snorkelers looking for the best value deal in this review can settle on this snorkeling setup. With the Promate snorkeling set, you get a mask, snorkel, fins, and a handy carry bag for your gear. All four pieces in this set come with high-viz yellow color, making it easy for your dive buddy and people on the boat to spot you underwater.
Snorkeling Gear Reviews
Now that you have an idea of the best snorkeling sets available let’s unpack them in greater detail. We’ll also look at a few other sets we think are worthy of inclusion in this review of the best snorkeling gear.
TUSA Sports Travel Set – The Best Overall Snorkeling GearThis TUSA set wins our top honors for the best overall snorkeling set. You get a mask, fins, and a snorkel included, along with a handy carry bag. TUSA makes some of the best dive equipment available, and it makes sense that they take the top spot in this review.
The short fins feature venting for better propulsion and control underwater. The snorkel has an ergonomic design with a semi-dry operation that keeps water out of the main tube. You get a mask with hypoallergenic silicone construction for a watertight fit and a low-volume appearance with wide viewing lenses.
- A hypoallergenic silicone mask skirt
- Anti-scratch mask lenses
- Soft mouthpiece with flexible snorkel neck
- Open-heel fin design for a comfortable and customizable fit
- Short fins for drifting
- Carry bag included
- Slightly Expensive
US Divers Admiral 2 – Runner Up Snorkeling GearThis US Divers set comes in second in this review. US Divers makes equipment for the SEAL teams, so you know this set will have a quality finish. You get a dry snorkel with this set, making it the ideal choice for beginners.
The short swim fins feature venting for enhanced propulsion and better control in the water. The snorkel with this set comes with an ergonomic design that contours to your head, providing a flexible mouthpiece and easy purge valve.
The mask has a low-volume appearance, with a 180-degree field of vision from the large lenses.
- The choice of real military operators
- Silicone skirting on the face mask for a watertight fit
- Wide side-viewing ports
- Contoured snorkel barrel
- Easy-purge, dry snorkel
- Adjustable fins for comfort
- Carry bag included
- Premium Price
Promate Snorkel Set – The Best Budget Snorkeling Gear
Holidaymakers looking for the most affordable, high-quality set they can find, should consider the Promate snorkel set. This model comes with vented fins, a panoramic lens for a wider viewing angle, and a contoured dry snorkel.
The open heel fins allow for easy adjustment, and you pack everything into the handy carry bag included with your purchase.
- Affordable price tag
- Wide-view frameless mask
- Contoured snorkel design
- Drag-reduced vented fin design
- Carry bag included
- Dry top snorkel
- No side viewports on the mask
Cressi Palau Snorkel Set
Cressi is another leading brand in snorkeling and dive equipment. This set has everything you need for your aquatic adventure. You get a low-volume mask with a clear frame and wide viewing angle for better vision underwater.
The contoured snorkel features a flexible mouthpiece with a purge valve, and the short adjustable fins are ideal for swimming. You get a dry snorkel with this set, and a handy mesh carry bag included.
- Leading dive brand for superior quality
- Palau short fins
- Contoured snorkel design with a flexible mouthpiece
- Easy-purge dry snorkel
- Dual-window mask with deep eye design for a wide view
- Carry bag included
- Premium Price
US Divers Adult Cozumel Seabreeze IIThis US Divers set makes for another top choice from this leading dive brand. With this set, you get super-fast swim fins with vented design, and a low-volume mask with full skirting to fit any face. The contoured snorkel design features semi-dry design, with an easy-bite mouthpiece and purge valve.
This set comes with a handy mesh carry bag, and you get closed heel fins. Closed heel fins are the best choice for snorkelers who don’t want the hassle or expense of using dive boots in their fins.
- Closed heel fin design for boot-free use
- Contoured snorkel
- Vented fins for easy movement in the water
- Dry snorkel
- Wide viewing lens in the mask
- Hypoallergenic silicone skirt for a watertight fit
- Carry bag included
- Closed heel design is not adjustable
BPS Short Fin Snorkel SetThis BPS set offers top-quality components for your snorkeling experience. You get short polypropylene dive fins, with an open-heel design for easy adjustment. The low-volume mask features two wide lenses providing a wide field of vision underwater.
The snorkel is a standout with a contoured design and flexible mouthpiece with a purge valve. You get a handy mesh carry bag included with this set.
- Open heel design for a customizable fit
- Short fins for avoiding coral
- Contoured dry snorkel with a flexible mouthpiece
- Wide-view mask with silicone skirt
- Carry bag included
- Somewhat expensive compared to US Divers models
Seavenger Voyager Snorkeling SetThe Seavenger set is an excellent choice for first-time snorkelers looking for a kit that’s easy to use. The panoramic mask in this set provides a wide field of view and plenty of range. The contoured dry snorkel is the best option to prevent you from sucking down seawater.
You’ll find it easy to move and turn in the water thanks to the vented fin design. This snorkel set comes in 16-different color variations and includes a convenient carry bag.
- Panoramic single-lens mask
- Hypoallergenic skirting for a watertight fit
- Contoured dry snorkel with a flexible mouthpiece
- Vented fins for smooth movement in the water
- Carry bag included
- Comes in 16 different color versions
- Some reports the mask might leak
Zeeporte Snorkel SetThe Zeeporte snorkel set is another top budget buy in this review. At less than $40, this set is great value for money. You get a panoramic mask for a wide field of view, along with a contoured dry snorkel.
The open heel fins have an adjustable design, and grip on the underside to stop you slipping in the boat on your dive.
- Affordable price tag
- The panoramic lens on the mask for 180-degree viewing angle
- High-density materials in fins for better swimming
- Hypoallergenic skirting for a watertight fit
- Contoured dry snorkel with an easy-purge mouthpiece
- Carry bag included
- Fin pockets feel a bit stiff
HEAD Sea Vu Dry Full-Face Snorkeling MaskThe HEAD Sea Vu snorkeling mask offers you a unique innovation in snorkeling. This mask is the ideal choice for swimmers who want to float on the surface while enjoying the view of the reef below.
The mask and snorkel’s full-face design makes it easy to breathe without the claustrophobic feeling of having a snorkel in your mouth. This full-face mask is not suitable for diving at depths more than a foot or two below the surface.
- Full face design for easy wear
- Suitable for surface floating
- Built-in dry snorkel at optimal breathing angle
- Easy-purge valve
- Polycarbonate anti-scratch lens
- Fogs up easier than a standard mask
Other Best Selling Options
- Full mask fin snorkel set: zeeporte long snorkel set with adjustable fins, two window tempered glass lens mask, dry top silicone snorkel, travel gear bag, it's the ultimate travel companion and is suitable for snorkeling, swimming, body surfing, boogie boards and much more.
- Panoramic view snorkel dive mask: made of a four-window design for a panoramic view with tempered glass lens and hypoallergenic silicone skirt, zeeporte snorkel mask can withstand underwater pressure while diving and snorkeling, ultimate comfort. the diving mask's skirt is designed with soft and flexible silicone and the food-grade silicone mouthpiece is safe creates a watertight seal with the any driver's face and attached to your mouth perfectly without any peculiar smell.
- Unobstructed breathing dry top snorkel: a high-quality snorkel with a dry-top valve that seals the breathing tube when submerged. dry top snorkel is designed to keep water from entering the breathing tube, ergonomic silicone mouthpiece is comfortable and durable. Lower purge valve allows water to be quickly expelled, so you can enjoy easy and unobstructed breathing while diving underwater.
- Flexible adjustable trek fins: longer, lightweight and the responsive blade assure a kick that is fluid, effortless yet at the same time quite powerful. trek fins with open-heel style and adjustable strap, the foot pocket and the strap are made of long-lasting rubber that ensures a comfortable fit. The zeeporte blade delivers excellent thrust with a modest kicking effort, perfect for your snorkeling or diving adventure.
- All-in-one packing gear bag: 3 essential items in one quick-dry mesh bag. re-usable zip-up bag with a shoulder strap, perfect for travel and recreational use. amazing low package for all four items and good for traveling.
- 180° Full Face Snorkeling Mask: Panoramic design full face snorkel mask made by high- definition premium resin lense and gives you superior views over a standard diving mask, it easier than ever to breathe comfortably through your mouth or nose when snorkeling. The Snorkel Set compatible with a motion camera stand, you can capture every amazing moment in the sea and share it with your friend.
- New Design Safety Breathing System: Three completely separate air channels are different from other single-channel or dual-channel snorkeling masks. It is safer because of the design is Intermediate air intake, air outlet on both sides. When you snorkeling, you won' t feel dizzy or even suffocated by inhaling a mixture of air and CO2, hence maximizing safety and make sure you inhale fresh air every time.
- Efficiency Anti-Fog and Anti-Leak: New design exhaust passages will help fast ventilate it will help let the vapor out from your mask, and anti-fog coating ensures the anti-fog effect. The suitable silicone skirt prevents leakage effectively, the floating ball in the tube guarantee to prevent water from entering the mask when you diving. Provide a safer and clearer snorkeling experience to you.
- The Gift to Snorkeling fan: This snorkeling mask will give you a great experience even if you are a beginner, amateur, and kids. The deeper silicone lining avoids making too much pressure for the user's nose bridge and helps you to comfortably wear, and very simple to install, Easy to fold and store, While also occupying less space. Made of High-Quality PC and Medical Grade Silicone, provide the unforgettable wearing experience
- Worry-Free After-Sale Service: We provide 24-hour customer service support when purchasing and after-sales! Please contact us via Amazon order message for any questions. it is our pleasure that we have a chance to help you free replace this item if you meet any questions in 180 days.
- ❤The OMORC ADVANTAGE:Join the 5 million+ snorkeling & swimming enthusiasts with our snorkel set.
- ❤ANTI-LEAK:OMORC snorkel set has a very soft liquid silicone skirt,reduces face water pressure,seals on your face well without worrying about water leakage,make your snorkeling experience better.(NOTE:ADJUST ELASTIC SILICONE STRAP TO FIT SNUGLY).
- ❤ANTI-FOG AND SUPER CLEAR: Advanced lens shape design and tempered glass with anti-fog treatment means you'll have a crystal clear underwater experience.OMORC Snorkeling gear gives you hours of enjoyable swimming, diving, or snorkeling.
- ❤FOOD-GRADE SILICON MATERIAL AND COMFORTABLE:OMORC snorkel kit is made from soft transparent and food-grade silicone,and comes with great comfort.The food-grade silicone mouthpiece is also comfortable for a long time, no jaw fatigue and any peculiar smell
- ❤MORE FUN, SAFER,AND EASIER:Dry snorkel set will prevent water from coming in and let air in,makes swimming more fun,safer,and easier!The bottom of the snorkel with a purge valve,it can helps you expel any water from inside tube,just simple exhales.
- MAKES SWIMMING MORE FUN, SAFER, AND EASIER! Snorkeling can be dangerous - mostly because people CAN'T SEE underwater! But this mask lets you enjoy PERFECT VISION from the moment you put it on to the time you take it off!
- TEMPERED GLASS LENS IS IMPACT-RESISTANT! Safety comes first! Not even the hardest knock from the sharpest or heaviest object can crack or break the lens in this mask. It's engineered to withstand DEEP WATER PRESSURE, too!
- ANTI-FOG LENS GIVES CRYSTAL-CLEAR VISION ALL THE TIME! When you're underwater, your breath can fog up the lens of cheaper face masks. But this mask is specially designed to be FOG-FREE - giving you hours of enjoyable swimming, diving, or snorkeling.
- BREATHE-EASY DRY SNORKEL LETS AIR IN, KEEPS WATER OUT! This high-tech, DRY snorkel keeps air out until you're READY to breathe in! No more surprise gulps of water in your mouth when you're trying to breathe!
- Collapsible SNORKEL: This 100% dry snorkel is ergonomically designed and uses the floating cleaning and sealing valves. You can snorkel confidently, even if you dive underwater, you will not get saltwater in your mouth! Unlike traditional snorkels, our NEW nearly fully collapsible silicone snorkel makes you store and handling of your snorkel set makes a breeze.
- HIGH CLARITY AND SAFETY: This diving mask has big eyes—the oversized inverted tear-drop shaped tempered glass lenses provide a 30% greater field of view than typical dual-lens masks. With this mask on, you can see fish, coral, and other sea creatures clearly. In addition, the lens is scratch-proof and shatter-proof to ensure safe underwater activities.
- ANTI-FOG COMFORTABLE AND SAFE MASK: The scuba mask is made of a silicone material, which is more flexible, more suitable for sealing. The ANTI-FOG mask has an adjustable strap that can be customized to fit any face shape. It can make you pull tight and make sure you feel comfortable.
- FOOD-GRADE SILICONE MATERIAL: Our snorkel is made of soft food-grade silicone and is very comfortable. Food grade silica gel suction mouth comfortably into the mouth, which allows prolonged use without any discomfort. Perfect diving equipment for adults and teenagers.
- WHY CHOOSE US? Include a mask, snorkel, and sturdy mesh bag. Mesh bag stores all of your snorkeling gear. We offer 18-month professional customer service. We believe the quality of our masks and snorkel sets, if your snorkel set is fogging or leaking, please feel free to contact us, we will REFUND, NO REASONS.
Snorkel Gear Buyer’s Guide
In this section, we’ll go over everything you need to know to narrow down your top choices in this review. By the time you finish reading this buyer’s guide, you’ll have a good idea of the best snorkeling set to suit your vacation requirements.
Why You Should Buy Instead of Rent Snorkel Gear
If you’re going to a hotel or resort that offers watersports, they might provide you with gear included in your package. However, we recommend you avoid using the house gear. Rentals or communal equipment won’t give you a custom fit. As a result, you’ll have to deal with issues like perished seals on the mask, which can ruin your snorkeling experience.
Swimming above the reef with a mask that leaks, or fins that feel tight on your feet will leave you wanting to get back to the boat. We want you to enjoy every second of your snorkeling experience, and that’s why we recommend purchasing personal snorkeling gear for your vacation.
For as little as $36, you could have a full snorkeling set and a magical dive experience. Take along your snorkeling gear, and you’ll enjoy every minute of your time in the water.
What are the Important Considerations for Your Snorkeling Gear?
When choosing your ideal snorkeling set, we recommend taking the following factors into account before making your purchase.
The mask is an essential part of your gear. Without it, you can’t see anything underwater, and the saltwater will ruin your vision on land. Make sure you check the following factors when purchasing a mask.
The Fit – The lining of the mask that fits your face is called the skirt. The skirt is the barrier preventing water from entering the mask. If it leaks, then you need to throw away the mask and get a new one. Therefore, you must choose a mask with a silicone skirt.
Silicone skirts mold to your face, providing a watertight fit that won’t leak, even if you dive deep. When you finish your swim, make sure you rinse out the mask with fresh water. The saltwater will accelerate the weathering of the skirting on your mask, making it perish before its service life is up.
Lens Visibility and Material Quality
When selecting your mask, look for models with polycarbonate lenses that offer excellent scratch resistance. These lenses provide the best clarity underwater, providing you with a crystal-clear view of the reef and wildlife.
Make sure that your mask features impact-resistant glass, to avoid cracking if you run into anything. When choosing your mask, you have the option of selecting a couple of different lens configurations.
- Single-pane Lenses – Single pane lenses feature single lenses for each eye. These models are better for deep dives as they can handle higher pressures. However, they are not necessary for snorkeling, where water pressure is low.
- Dual-pane Lenses – A dual-pane lens is a great choice for snorkeling. When wearing this mask, you get a full field of vision, with no restrictions.
- Wide-view lenses – Wide-view lenses feature deeper pockets on the bottom of the lens, increasing your field of vision underwater.
- Side-view lenses – Side view lenses widen your field of vision beyond 180-degrees, giving you a full FOV from your mask.
- Low-Volume or High-volume Mask? – We recommend going with a low-volume mask. While they aren’t entirely necessary for snorkeling, the closer your eyes are to the lenses, the better your view.
How Do I Defog My Mask?
There are various ways to ensure your mask doesn’t fog up during a dive. Some divers and snorkelers use specialized anti-fog drops, and there’s an old method of using baby-oil to prevent fogging.
However, we recommend using the classic approach to clearing your mask. Work up a wad of spit in your mouth, and spit into your mask. Rub the saliva around the entire faceplate, and rinse it out with saltwater. That’s all you need to ensure your mask stays fog-free.
Tips for Choosing Your Snorkel
Choosing the best snorkel requires you to understand the dynamics of breathing through this apparatus underwater. Each type of snorkel offers different user experiences, and we recommend knowing the difference between the models before finalizing your snorkeling set.
The Three Types of Snorkels
- Classic – The classic snorkel features a straight or looped design at the end. This snorkel is the worst choice for beginners, but the top choice for experienced snorkelers. The classic model will fill the snorkel tube with water when you dive, requiring you to purge it when breaking the surface.
- The purging action can be challenging for newbies to master and will probably result in your swallowing a bunch of seawater. However, professionals have plenty of experience with this and prefer the lightweight nature of these snorkels when spearfishing or diving.
- Dry Snorkels – These snorkels feature a valve at the top of the snorkel. A ball floats into the valve when you submerge the snorkel, preventing water from entering. As a result, you don’t have to purge hard when reaching the surface. However, the ball can float into the valve when a wave crashes overhead, causing breath disruption that leads to panic. Dry snorkels are the best option for beginners.
- Semi-Dry Snorkels – These snorkels feature a plastic tip that slants off to the side, featuring slits that prevent a large amount of water entering the snorkel. These models are the best choice overall. They take a few dives to get used to the purging, but they offer the best utility and use when snorkeling.
Look for a Contoured Snorkel Barrel
When choosing your snorkel, look at the barrel. The barrel is the main length of the tube from the mouthpiece to the top of the snorkel.
Look for models that have a contoured design shaping to your head. This design is the best to provide you with an ergonomic, streamlined design that’s easy to control on the surface.
Fins provide you with propulsion when snorkeling. However, in many cases, fins aren’t necessary. The best snorkelers learn to drift with the current, conserving energy on the dive. Therefore, when choosing your fins, look for models with shorter blades than standard dive fins.
Look for models that offer vented fins. These vents make it easy to change direction while providing better propulsion than standard solid fins.
When choosing your fins, we recommend going for open-heel models. These fins let you use booties in the foot pockets. One of the issues with closed heel fins is how they might slip off your feet in a strong surge. Closed heel fins might also be tight. If you’re new to snorkeling, your closed heel fins might put pressure on your feet, making them sore the following day.
The use of dive booties inside your snorkeling fins provides extra padding, making it a comfortable snorkeling experience.
How Do I Size Snorkeling Fins?
When purchasing your fins, we recommend going with models that offer an adjustable heel strap. Using this strap, you can customize the fit, providing you with a comfortable snorkeling experience. If you’re choosing closed-heel models, it’s important to note that your feet will shrink slightly after a few minutes of swimming.
Being weightless in the water, swimming in a flat position, reduces your blood pressure. As a result, your feet will lose about half a size. You’ll need to consider that when buying your fins. If you’re choosing between two sizes, it’s probably better to go with the smaller fins.
Useful Snorkeling Accessories
Your snorkel, fins, and mask are the primary kit you need to enjoy a snorkeling experience. However, there are a few accessories we recommend you bring along to your dive site.
Inflatable Snorkel Vest
If you’re in calm waters and want to float on the surface with your head in the water, look for an inflatable snorkeling vest. This vest has all the buoyancy on your back, allowing you to hang effortlessly in the water and drift with the current.
If you’re diving in colder temperatures, you might need a wetsuit. If you plan on deep diving during your snorkeling expediti0on, a wetsuit is a must. After 40-minutes of diving deep and returning to the surface, you’ll start feeling cold without a wetsuit for thermal protection.
Snorkel Mask Strap Cover
If you have long hair, consider getting a strap cover for your mask. The silicone mask strap seats comfortably to your head, and won’t move., However, it can pull on your hair, making things uncomfortable in the water. If you try to fix your mask strap in the water, it results in a flooded or fogged mask.
Waterproof Camera Housing
If you’re taking your vlog on a snorkeling expedition, make sure you have a waterproofed camera housing. Waterproof housings aren’t necessary for GoPros and many other action cameras. However, if you want to dive with your DLSR, you’ll need a custom housing for your specific model.
Waterproof Phone Case
If you must bring your phone on the boat, make sure you have it in a waterproof case. There are dozens of people at your dive site who probably lost their phone in the water filming a pod of dolphins swimming past the boat.
A dry bag is vital to keep your towel, phone, wallet, and a dry t-shirt ready for you onboard the boat when emerging from your dive.
Recently, marine biologists discovered that sunscreen creates a massive problem for coral reefs in oceans all over the globe. The sunscreen cover corals, causing massive die-offs in coral species. As a result, the sunscreen is accelerating the degradation of reefs at an alarming rate.
Make sure that you bring reef-friendly sunblock with you on your trip. You’ll keep the reefs safe while keeping the harmful UV rays off your skin. Remember to reapply sunscreen after an hour or so. Many snorkeling holidays get cut short thanks to nasty sunburns.
Snorkeling Gear FAQs
How Much can I expect to pay for a snorkeling set?
A good snorkeling set can set you back anywhere from $35 to $100, depending on the brand you buy and the level of equipment you purchase.
Professional equipment isn’t necessary if you only go snorkeling once or twice a year on vacation. However, if you’re a professional spearfisherman or dive instructor, professional equipment provides the longest service life.
What is a dry snorkel?
A dry snorkel describes a snorkel type that features a ball valve at the tip of the shaft. When you dive, the ball floats into a docking port, preventing water from entering the snorkel as your descend. A dry snorkel is an excellent choice for first-time snorkelers, as you don’t have to worry about purging the snorkel when returning to the surface.
Do I need to decompress after a snorkel session?
No. When snorkeling, you’re breathing air from the surface, diving to a max of 12 to 14-feet while holding your breath.
There is nowhere near the number of dissolved gasses in your bloodstream like you would after a dive with scuba gear. Therefore, there’s no need to decompress and let extra nitrogen escape from your body as you do with scuba diving.
What is the biggest mistake new snorkelers make?
Most new snorkelers forget to do two things before getting in the water. Both issues can ruin your day. The first is forgetting to defog your mask. Before you get in the water, spit heavily into your mask, and wipe the saliva all around the inside. Dunk the mask back in the water and remove the saliva. This action prevents your mask from fogging up while swimming.
Forgetting to apply sunscreen is the second mistake newbies make when going snorkeling. The water enhances the intensity of the sun’s rays, and you’re not going deep enough to stop the UV damaging your skin. The result is a horrible sunburn that can ruin your entire trip. Remember the sunscreen, and remember to go with a reef-friendly brand.
The Best Snorkeling Gear – The Verdict
By now, you should have an idea of which snorkeling set suits your beach vacation. There are so many good options in this review that you might find it hard to settle on a final choice. If that’s the case, why not go with one of our top picks in this review?
The TUSA Sports Travel Set is our top choice. With this set, you get a high-quality mask, snorkel, and fins used by professionals. TUSA is one of the leading brands in dive and snorkeling equipment, and you can be sure that this set will last you a lifetime if you take care of it properly.
The US Divers Admiral 2 snorkeling set wins our award for the best premium snorkeling set in this review. Featuring design and construction used by real military operators in the field, if it’s suitable for the SEAL teams, it’s good enough for your vacation.
The Promate Snorkel Set offers you a budget-value set with premium design and materials used in the construction of the mask, snorkel, and fins. The Promate set might be affordable, but it’s certainly not cheap, and a great choice for your vacation.