A ski hat plays an integral role in your comfort level, as well as your safety, when you’re out on the slopes. But despite its importance, a lot of skiers and snowboarders don’t put much thought into the type of headgear they wear. They just slap on a beanie and hope for the best.
But the ski hat you choose can make all the difference in the world between a successful slalom and a wipeout. With so many ski hats on the market, how do you know what features to look for and which one to choose? No worries! That’s why we put together this helpful guide for you!
After spending hours upon hours researching countless ski hats, we’ve narrowed down the options and have selected what we believe to be the best brands currently available on the market. We’ve also included a buyer’s guide, which highlights some of the most important factors that you should take into consideration before you purchase a ski hat.
To finish up our guide, we’ve included answers to some of the most frequently asked questions that skiers and snowboarders have about this all-important gear. So, without further ado, allow us to introduce to you our top picks for the best ski hats.
Top 3 Ski Hats
In this section, we feature a brief introduction to our top three picks for the best overall, best premium, and best budget ski hats. For shoppers who are in a rush and don’t have a lot of time to read through our more in-depth reviews and want to quickly find out what our three best choices are, this section is for you.
Best Pick: French Fitness Revolution
- ! THE ULTIMATE SKULL CAP BEANIE: Imagine yourself while you run, jog, snowboard, ski, workout or even walk in the cold season. Wouldn’t it be nice to wear a skull cap so lightweight and comfortable, but one that would still give you thermal retention on chilly weather? This is where we come in with a superior stretchy and breathable beanie that has a fleece fabric on the inside to keep you warm.
- ONE SIZE FITS ALL: Our fabric blend is so stretchy that you'll have to worry no more about how comfortable you'll feel wearing it. Your comfort is our main target, so we designed a product that matches all heads shapes and sizes.
- FITS UNDER HELMETS, GOES WELL WITH GOGGLES: Are you a fan of skiing, snowboarding, cycling or biking? No matter the activity, our moisture wicking skull cap makes sure that will wick away sweat, keep you warm and still feel like second skin under your helmet. Or together with your goggles.
- WASHABLE: Maybe you'll use it as a running beanie or when playing any other sports, so frequent wash may be necessary. No worries, our skull cap will look as good as new and keep its properties wash after wash.
- OUT OF PRESENT IDEAS? We took care of that, too. Our product comes in a nice premium package that makes it a nice present idea. It's both practical and fashionable. Play it safe and offer something so useful that it will brighten your loved one's day!
The French Fitness Store Skull Cap Helmet Liner Running Beanie combines all of the features that a high-quality ski hat should offer. Made of high-quality, lightweight, thermal-retention, durable moisture-wicking fabric (a blend of polyester and Lycra), this hat will keep you warm when the temps are cold, yet will prevent you from overheating, and won’t weigh you down.
Premium Pick: Camoland Winter Trapper Trooper Hat Ushanka with Earflapcs
- 100% polyester out shell and soft faux fur lining, fit for head circumference 22’’-24.5’’, unisex
- Detachable face mask & outside ear flaps can be buckled up or down to suit different occasion
- Out shell waterproof & windproof, thermal furry liner offers best heat retention for your chins, ears and neck
- Compared with normal hats with face mask, this trapper hat has an extra large space for wearing glasses, no more squeezing feeling.
- Perfect for winter outdoor activities and sports such as skiing, snowboard, hiking, camping, motorcycle etc
If you’re looking for a top-of-the-line ski hat that will offer incredible protection, the Camoland Winter Trapper Trooper Hat Ushanka with Earflaps is a great choice. This hat is made for serious skiers and snowboarders. It features a waterproof and windproof polyester shell with a soft fur lining, so it can stand up to the elements and those long sessions on the mountain while providing complete comfort the entire time.
Budget Pick: Home Prefer Men’s Winter Beanie Hat with Brim
- 100% acrylic, premium soft warm and comfortable
- Best fit for the head circumference 57-60cm / 22.44"-23.62"
- High quality, flexible, thick, durable, fashionable, stretchy
- Unique double layered design keep you warm and looking cool, cuff brim with visor to keep your eyes out of sun rays
- Great for any outdoor activities, or just looking stylish
For skiers and snowboarders who are looking for a well-made and reliable hat that won’t break the bank, this option from Home Prefer is a great choice. While it says it’s made for men, it really is a unisex design. Made of 100 percent acrylic material, it’s soft, comfortable, and can ward of the cold with no problem.
Top 7 Ski Hats
Now that we’ve had a quick look at our top picks for the best overall, best premium, and best budget ski hats, let’s take a closer look. In this part of our guide, we offer a more detailed overview of each of the above-mentioned options, as well as a four additional high-quality hats that can be used for skiing and snowboarding.
French Fitness Revolution Store Skull Cap
For our best overall ski hat, we chose the French Fitness Revolution Store Skull Cap Helmet Liner Running Beanie. Made of 89 percent polyester and 11 percent Lycra, so this hat is lightweight, soft, and durable.
The materials and design provide heat retention, so it traps in body heat and will keep you nice and warm, even on the coldest of days.
It’s also moisture-wicking, so you won’t have to worry about sweat building up inside the hat. And because the material is stretchy, it moves with you and won’t hold you back. The sleek design is thin enough to fit underneath helmets and goggles with ease and literally feels like a second skin.
It’s completely washable and won’t shrink, either; just toss it in the machine after your sessions and it will look good as new. The one size fits all sizing means that skiers and snowboarders of both sexes and of all sizes can comfortably wear it. It’s also available in several color options; you can choose for a two pack or a six pack of hats, too.
- Lightweight, moisture-wicking, breathable fabric
- Offers great heat retention
- Soft and extremely comfortable
- Stretchy fabric moves with you
- Machine washable for easy care
- One size fits all design for great versatility
- Available in an assortment of colors
- Affordably priced
- A few users said that they noticed the dye ran off of the hat
Winter Trapper Trooper Hat
For serious skiers and snowboarders who are looking for the ultimate protection, the Winter Trapper Trooper Hat is an excellent choice. The 100 percent polyester shell is windproof and waterproof, so this hat can easily stand up to the elements and rough wear.
The faux fur thermal lining is super-soft, feels great against the skin, and adds to the warmth this hat provides. There’s a detachable face shield, which also has a polyester shell and is lined with the same fur for even more protection against the wind and cold. With dual valves built right into the face shield, you’ll be able to breathe freely. If you don’t want to use the face mask, just detach It and wear it as a standard hat.
The ear flaps can also be flipped up or down and secured in place when you aren’t using them. With plenty of room between the top of the hat and the face mask section, you’ll have no trouble wearing a pair of glasses or goggles with this ski hat and won’t feel like you have to squeeze them in. Reflective stripes along the sides and back of the hat will keep you visible while you’re on the slopes so you will always remain visible.
This trapper-style ski hat can fit head circumferences between 22 and 24.5 inches and is considered a unisex size, so both men and women can enjoy all of the benefits that it provides. With all of these features and such a high-quality design, the Winter Trapper Trooper Hat Ushanka with Earflaps Face Mask is pretty affordably priced, too.
- Durable, waterproof, windproof polyester shell
- Heat retaining and soft faux fur lining
- Detachable face mask section with built-in valves
- Ear flaps that can be flipped up or down and secured in place when not in use
- Large area between the top of the hat and the top of the mask portion easily accepts goggles or glasses
- Reflective safety stripe
- Unisex sizing
- Affordably priced
- A few users said that fog developed on their goggles while wearing the hat and face mask combination
Home Prefer Men’s Winter Beanie Hat
If you’re on the market for a warm, comfortable, and stylish ski hat that won’t break the bank, the Home Prefer Men’s Winter Beanie Hat with Brim is definitely an option worth considering. It’s made of high-quality acrylic material.
The double layers design retains heat well and will keep you warm all ski or snowboard session long. The material is also breathable, soft, and lightweight, so the hat will move with you and won’t hold you back.
The hat is made to fit heads with a circumference between 22.44 inches and 23.62 inches, so while it says that it’s made for men, it’s actually a unisex design and can be worn by women, too. A cuff brim and built-in visor will help to shield your eyes from sun glare while also keeping you looking cool on the slopes.
Available in eight different colors and economically priced, with the Home Prefer Men’s Winter Beanie Hat, you’ll be warm and protected while also looking cool.
- Made of lightweight, soft, and durable acrylic material
- Stretchy and can accommodate both men and women
- Double layered design offers great heat retention and will keep you warm and protected on the slopes
- A built-in visor helps to shield your eyes from sun glare
- Available in a variety of colors
- Economically priced
- Some users said that it was a bit on the large size
Smartwool Store Merino 150 Beanie
Another great choice for a ski hat is the Merino 150 Beanie from the Smartwool Store. As the name suggests, it’s made of a blend 87 percent Merino wool and 13 percent Nylon, this ski hat is one of the most durable, softest, lightest weight, and breathable materials.
Equipped with a warm lining that locks in body heat, you’ll say toasty warm even when the temperatures drop below freezing. The wool material is woven into a jersey fabric, which further adds to the comfort and softness, as well as the breathability.
It’s also sleek, so it’ won’t hold you back and will easily move with you. Care is easy, too: just toss it in the washing machine on the cold cycle, tumble dry on low, and it will be as good as new each and every time.
Not only is the Smartwool Store Merino 150 Beanie hat warm, comfortable, and easy to care for, but it’s super stylish, too.
- Made of a blend of 87 percent Merino wool and 13 percent nylon
- Lightweight, breathable, and durable
- Built-in insulation for excellent heat retention
- Attractive design
- Machine washable
- Available in two colors: light gray heather and black
- Some user’s reported the material is too thin
Outdoor Research Store Shiftup Beanie
Made in the USA by Outdoor Research, a company that is based in Seattle, Washington, and is a highly regarded manufacturer of technical gear and accessories, this ski hat is thoughtfully designed and well-constructed.
Made of a hexagon fleece material, which is comprised of 89 percent polyester, 6 percent Tencel, and 5 percent spandex, this hat is built for skiing and snowboarding. It’s lightweight, yet warm, sleek, breathable, and durable.
Thanks to the breathability of this ski hat, you won’t have to worry about sweat collecting around your head, yet because it offers great retention, you’ll stay nice and warm, even when the temperatures get really cold. The design is simple, yet stylish, and the hat is available in a collection of attractive colors, including black/charcoal, night/Tahoe, night/ultraviolet, and pewter/lemongrass.
With one-size-fits-all sizing, this hat is made to fit skiers and snowboarders of all sizes and genders, and it’s easy to care for, too.
- Hexagon fleece fabric is made of 89 percent polyester, 6 percent Tencel, and 6 percent spandex
- Lightweight and breathable
- Offers great heat retention
- Durably constructed
- Unisex size
- Available in four attractive colors
- Machine washable
- It does seem to run a bit large
Burton DND 3 Pack BeaniesWith the Burton DND Beanies, you’ll get three high-quality ski hats for the same price as or even less than the price of other ski hats on the market. That’s because it comes with three hats in a pack.
All hats are made of 10 percent acrylic and are super durable and warm, yet lightweight and breathable. The slouch fit is trendy and the amount of your ears that are covered can be adjusted.
Machine washable, this collection of hats is easy to care for, and the unisex sizing and design makes it suitable for all riders and skiers.
To further add to the benefits, there are several color combinations to choose from, so you can get a collection of hats that will truly suit your style.
- Made of 100 percent acrylic material
- Lightweight and breathable
- Warm and durable
- Machine washable
- Comes with a collection of three hats
- Available in an assortment of colors
- Unisex sizing and style
- A couple of buyers noted that these hats were a bit on the loose side
CC Beanie Tail Soft Stretch Cable Knit Messy High Bun Ponytail Beanie Hat
For ladies who have a hard time figuring out how to wear their hair while they’re sporting a ski hat, the CC Beanie Tail Soft Stretch Cable Knight Mess High Bun Ponytail Beanie Hat is a fantastic option.
The smart design covers your entire head and your ears, while providing an opening in the back that will accommodate a ponytail or messy bun; just put the hat on, pull your hair through the hole, and style.
You’ll stay warm and look great while you’re on the slopes. Made of 100 percent acrylic material, this hat is breathable, warm, and stretch, so it will easily move with you and won’t hold you back.
The hat comes down over your years, so it will keep them shielded from the cold temperatures and the wind, and it offers full forehead protection, too. The design of this hat is very attractive and it’s available in a large range of colors and prints. It also features the signature CC Exclusives leather trademark sign attached to the front brim.
- Unique ponytail opening is ideal for women with long hair
- Offers full coverages for the entire head and ears
- Made of 100 percent acrylic material
- Breathable and warm
- Lightweight and durable
- Machine washable
- Available in a large selection of colors and patterns
- Affordably priced
- A few customers said that the opening in the back was too small to accommodate their hair
Other Best Selling Options
- Material:100% Polyester fleece(Soft,Warm and Comfortable Materials)
- Purpose:Cycling,Hunting,Camping,Skiing,Running,Motorcycle etc.
- Protect you from Outdoor Sports in Cold weather
- Full Face and Neck Coverage Design
- Soft,Warm and Comfortable Materials
- Premium warm material: 100% high quality stretchy polyester fabric&soft-spun knitted,extremely comfortable and soft.It has great heat collection performance that can offer maximum heat retention,long-lasting and warmest winter hat.
- Classic Stylish Knitted：Precise Knitting fashion beanie,creating a nice and fashionable look design,matches with any wardrobe like cardigans, scarves, leggings or other formal and casual clothes.
- Wide Application Hats: Slouchy knit beanie hats for daily party,it has a solid color and funky look,it also great for outdoor sports like snowboarding, running,skating, biking, snowshoeing, skiing, hiking or any outdoor activities& travel .Enjoy your good time during autumn and winter.
- One size fits all: We use stretchable materials so that can adapt to various head shapes,whether small head or big head even basketball head.It is easy to wear or take off,combines plenty of stretch and a snug fit,suitable for most women & men.
- Fabulous gift idea: For someone who is sensitive to certain materials,you can choose our OZERO winter accessory,it is pretty hand-knitted soft feel,do not let you feel itchy at all You can also present to your relatives or friends,it perfectly suitable for various occasions and fits both men and women.Style & Trend warm gift choice.
- Carhartt Company Gear Collection
- Fleece hat featuring logo tag, ear flaps, and pull-down face mask with moisture-wicking backing
- One size fits all
- Material - The cable-knit hat is made of 100% soft Acrylic, with faux fur pompom on the top of the hat which is thick and comfortable. Can make you feel warm and fashion.
- Size - It is one size with good stretch, for head circumference: 52-60cm that will fit most people.
- Detail Design - The slouchy beanie with a fur pompom, we use the same color as the hat when they combine together will look matched. Also, the pompom is removeable, it will be more easier for you to care and clean.
- Application - The hat is oversized design, so you can wear it when you dress up casual and youth style outfit, or can be used as ski cap. Moreover, it will also bring you warm, since it's thick and soft.
- CARE&CLEAN - After receiving the hat, use hair dryer with cold wind and brush with small-tooth comb to make the fur fluffy. Then, shake the faux fur pompom to let the float hair gone, handwash only for hat to prevent deformation.
- READY FOR DUTY: Wear our skull cap on its own or under your helmet. Wear it as you ride, snowboard or ski. Wear it as you run, work out or play football. Heck, wear it as you're doing laundry. It's so lightweight and comfortable you'll forget you're wearing it. Like you, this skull cap is ready for duty.
- PREMIUM PERFORMANCE: Our stretchy, breathable fabric wicks away sweat while the brushed lining provides lightweight thermal retention.
- LISTEN TO YOUR EARS: No more numb frozen ears, they say! Give them this helmet liner to keep them nice and toasty. They'll thank you, we promise.
- ONE SIZE FITS ALL NOGGINS: Experience thermal retention & moisture wicking performance with our 89% polyester 11% spandex blend, our skull cap beanie will fit comfortably, even if you have an Einstein-sized noggin.
Ski Hat Buyer’s Guide
Whether you’re planning to spend the day in the backcountry or you’re going to hit the half-pipe for a couple of hours, you need more than just a good pair of skis or a snowboard. These two winter sports require a good bit of gear; and more importantly, the right type of gear.
A ski hat is one of the most important items you’ll need when you’re spending time gliding down a mountain or along the trails. Given the fact that you lose half of your body heat through your head, a ski hat plays an integral role in your safety and comfort when you’re out on your runs.
It traps in body heat so you don’t end up freezing in frigid temps. It also helps to protect your ears and forehead from frostbite and windburn (if you pick up a lot of speed, you know exactly why this layer of protection is crucial). It can also prevent beads of sweat from running down your head, onto your face, and into your eyes.
Above, we’ve offered a nice selection of ski hats in a variety of styles. But how do you know which one you should choose? In order for your ski hat to provide the intended protection and to ensure that it will really suit your needs, it’s important to take a few key factors into consideration before you make your decision.
In this part of our guide, we highlight some of the most important factors that should definitely be at the top of your mind when you’re shopping for a ski hat.
As can be seen from our collection of ski hats, there are several different styles available. Options include a beanie-style, a Balaclava-style (with a built-in face mask), our slouch-style hats.
Beanie-style hats are ideal for wearing underneath helmets and goggles, as they are very streamlined. Balaclava-style hats feature built-in face masks and neck protectors. Lastly, slouch-style hats, as the name indicates, are designed to be loose on the top of the head so that there’s a bit of material that “slouches” over. The style that will work best for you really depends on your specific needs.
You’ll also want to consider the material that the hat is made out of. Ski hats can be made out of a wide range of materials, including polyester, cotton, wool, fleece, and acrylic, or a blend of different materials.
The fabric will have an impact on the overall durability, comfort, and warmth that the hat will provide. For instance, hats that are made of wool, acrylic, and cotton tend to be more breathable, as they have an open-weave design, which allows more air to flow through.
Hats that are made of polyester and fleece, on the other hand, are often more durable, as they can better withstand wear and tear.
Of course, you want your ski hat to be as comfortable as possible. Options that are soft, not too tight, but not too loose are highly recommended. Remember that you’re going to be wearing your hat while you’re coasting down the mountain and you aren’t going to want to keep on fussing with it – or run the risk of having it fall off of your head.
Make sure that the hat fits your head properly and that it can move with you; that it isn’t too stiff. Fleece or faux fur liners further add to the comfort, as they provide a layer of soft material against your skin.
It’s also important to consider the breathability of your ski hat. You want it to keep you warm, but you also don’t want it to collect and trap sweat around your head. That’s why breathability is important, as you can really work up a lot of sweat while you’re skiing or snowboarding. If your hat is stuffy, it’s almost guaranteed that you’re going to be uncomfortable.
What’s your personal style? Are you more of a trendy-type, or do you prefer a more rugged look? Ski hats come in a wide range of looks and while the appearance won’t have much of an impact on the function of the hat (though in some cases, it can), if you want to be sure that you’ll look your best when you’re slaloming, the appearance is definitely a factor that you’re going to want to consider.
Lastly, you should consider what it will take to care for your ski hat. Make sure you read care instructions, as some hats can only be washed by hand and hung to dry. If you opt for one of those types of hats and you toss it into the washer, it’s likely that the hat is going to drink or become otherwise damaged and you’ll have to purchase a new one.
For the easiest care, we recommend looking for a ski hat that is machine washable and dryable. That way, when you’re done with your session, you can just toss your hat into the wash with all of the rest of your gear. Imagine how annoying handwashing a ski ha would be when all you want to do is kick back with a beverage in front of a fire and relax after a long session.
Ski Hat FAQs
To wrap up our guide, we’ve included answers to some of the most frequently asked questions that we have found consumers wonder about.
Do you really need to wear a hat?
There’s no rule that says you have to wear a hat, but you will probably regret not wearing one. As we mentioned in the beginning, hats help to keep you warm, as they lock in body heat. They also protect your ears and your forehead from windburn, sunburn, and the frigid temperatures. In other words, a ski hat plays a big part in your overall comfort and even your safety while you’re out on the slopes; hence why we recommend wearing one.
What materials are the best for a ski hat?
It really depends on your specific needs. Ski hats can be made of an assortment of materials, including polyester, cotton, wool, fleece, and more. We recommend looking for something that is made of a blend of materials, such as cotton and polyester, as it will increase the durability of the hat.
Is it better to go with a bigger hat or a smaller hat?
It can be hard to figure out the right size for a ski hat. It’s really best to get a hat that fits you appropriately; that isn’t too big or isn’t too small, but rather, is just right. If you aren’t sure, however, we suggest going with something that’s just slightly bigger. If the hat is too small, it will feel restrictive and will keep riding up on your head, which can be downright uncomfortable and annoying.
A ski hat is one of the most important pieces of protective gear when you’re out on the slopes. With the information we provided in this review and guide, you should have no trouble finding the perfect hat for your specific needs.