Gathering the family or friends around the grill for a meal is a great way to spend the afternoon. You all share conversation and good times as you wait for the food to finish cooking. However, cooking outdoors is an effort; you have to go out to the hardware store to fill the propane or gas tanks or get charcoal from the store.
What if it was as easy as plugging in your grill to the electrical outlet? There’s no additional expense of using gas or coal, and you get a fast, efficient setup of the grill. An outdoor electrical grill is a great option to take with you on the road.
Set it up at a tailgate, or take it to the park for a cookout. It’s a portable and effective cooking solution to take with you anywhere you go.
If you want a professional setup for your covered patio, a built-in electric grill is a great option for a permanent cooking fixture. It’s more efficient than a charcoal or gas grill, and you get easy cleaning without having to find a place to put hot ash.
In this review, we’ll look at the best outdoor electric grills.
Our Top Picks
We curated this list of the ten best outdoor electric grills from the thousands of listings and dozens of manufacturers. From our top ten, we narrowed down our selection to these top picks in three categories.
We have the best overall, premium, and budget models to suit your grilling requirements and your budget.
Best Pick: CharBroil 20602108 Patio Bistro
- High-quality electric grilling for convenience without the hassle of gas or charcoal
- TRU-Infrared cooking technology prevents flare-ups, delivers even heat and cooks juicier food
- Integrated control knob to adjust temperatures easily
- Durable porcelain-coated grate is rust-resistant and easy-to-clean
- Removable warming rack for indirect cooking or to keep food warm
The CharBroil outdoor electric grill wins our award for the best overall model in this review. This grill comes with a sturdy powder-coated steel frame that’s corrosion-resistant. There are under-grill storage and wheels to help you move it around the patio. This model comes with 320-square inches of cooking space, an easy-motion lid, and a built-in thermometer. You get a ceramic-coated cast-iron grill and variable temperature settings for efficient cooking with no cold spots.
Premium Pick: Kenyon B70425NH Texan Built-in Electric Grill
- Power Source Type: Corded-Electric
- Model Number: B70425NH
- Item Package Dimensions: 35.0" L x 27.0" W x 17.0" H
- Item Package Weight: 62.0 lb
The Kenyon Texan Built-in outdoor grill is our choice for the best premium model in this review. You get a stainless steel design that’s corrosion-resistant, providing a professional look. This unit mounts into a surface, providing a flush, elegant look. You get a touch-screen operation of the grill, with variable temperature settings up to 550F. This model comes with a dual cooker hood, but there’s no temperature gauge in the lid. This model features porcelain-coated grills for efficient non-stick cooking and easy cleaning.
Budget Pick: George Foreman 12-Serving Electric Grill
- George Tough Nonstick Coating
- 12+ Servings
- Variable Temperature Control
- Removable Stand
The George Forman range of grills is a favorite across America. This model is the ultimate GF grill, offering you an outdoor cooking experience that’s apartment-friendly. This model comes with a 12-serving capacity, non-stick grilling palates, and a drip tray. You get a stand and an aluminum lid included with this model, and there’s adjustable temperature control. The slanted design lets the fat drip away from the food, and the drip tray and grilling plates are removable and dishwasher safe.
Outdoor Electric Grill Reviews
After reading through our top picks, let’s unpack them in detail. We’ll also look at the other model we selected for the best outdoor electric grill.
After reading through the reviews, check out our buyer’s guide. We’ll walk you through everything you need to know to select the right model for your home.
CharBroil 20602108 Patio Bistro
This grill offers top performance without the hassle of gas or coal will love this Charbroil model. You get the same design as the gas-powered grills, with an attractive grey powder-coated frame. This model is weather and corrosion-resistant, with a clean, elegant finish.
You get ceramic-coated cast-iron grills, with TRU-infrared cooking elements offering adjustable heating. This model comes with protected elements, guaranteeing no flareups or charred food. You get a pull-out drip tray for easy cleaning and 320-square inches of cooking space on the grill, with two-tier cooking racks.
This model also comes with a thermometer in the lid and easy open-and closing. There’s a storage rack under the grill and a hanging rack for your grilling tongs and tools. This model also features wheels for easy movement around the patio.
This model is ideal for feeding a family or inviting a few guests around for a weekend cookout. You get top-quality performance from one of the leading brands in electric grills.
- TRU-Infrared cooking technology
- Pull-out grease tray
- Porcelain cooking grates
- Lid-mounted temperature gauge
- 320-square inches of cooking space
- Powder-coated rust-resistant frame
- Casters for maneuverability
- Variable heat control
Kenyon B70425NH Texan Built-in Electric Grill
This Kenyon Texan built-in electric grill wins our award for the best premium model in this review. You get a professional-grade built-in grill for your patio, featuring marine-grade 304 stainless steel construction.
This Kenyon model comes with dual cooking hoods featuring independent movement. Choose to operate this grill on either half for separate cooking—Grill your chicken on one side and your steak on the other.
This Kenyon model features the new IntelliKEN controls, providing adjustable heat control up to 550-degrees from the dual 1,500-Watt heating elements. This model comes with ceramic-coated cast-iron cooking grates offering non-stick cooking and easy cleaning.
With this Kenyon electric grill, you get fast heating times and a clean, flush mount to your surface. While this model isn’t portable, it makes the ideal grill for large covered patios.
- Dual independent cooking hoods
- Professional chef quality
- IntelliKEN heat control
- 2 x 1500-Watt heating elements
- Marine-grade 304 stainless steel construction
- 3-year warranty
George Foreman 12-Serving Electric Grill
Apartment dwellers with minimal balcony space will love this standing Gorge Forman electric grill. Everyone knows the George Forman grill – it’s a staple in kitchens across America. However, this full-size electric grill is a great choice for your outdoor BBQ needs.
This model comes with 200-square inches of cooking space, which is enough for 12-servings. This model is apartment approved and safe for use in smaller living quarters. You get adjustable temperature control and a non-stick grilling surface that drains fat away on a slope – just like the original George Foreman grill.
This model comes with a stand included in your package for outdoor grilling. You get a removable grill and drip tray included with your purchase, and they’re dishwasher safe. The George Forman grill comes with a domed lid and a temperature control probe included with your purchase.
- An affordable option for tailgating
- Apartment-approved design great for balcony’s
- Adjustable temperature control
- Non-stick George Foreman cooking surface
- Fat-draining design
- Drip tray and removable stand
Kenyon B70400 Texan All Seasons Built-In Electric Grill
The Keyon, All Seasons series is a great choice for a premium outdoor electric grill. This model comes with a built-in design, creating a flush look with your countertop.
This model also comes with independent cooking hoods, allowing you to split the cooking surface for different food types. This model comes with a marine-grade 304 stainless steel construction, providing excellent resistance against corrosion and bad weather.
This model comes with dual 1,500-Watt cooking elements, providing adjustable cooking temperatures up to 600F. This model features touch-control settings and easy cleaning of the ceramic-coated cast-iron cooking grill.
The touch panel is waterproof, and you get a built-in drip tray for easy cleaning. This model is a great choice for people who like to entertain or do most of their cooking outdoors. It’s a professional-grade model that most chefs would be proud to use.
- 2 x 1,500-Watt heating elements
- Professional-grade quality
- Variable heat control up to 600F
- Marine-grade stainless steel construction
- 7-minute rapid preheat
Kenyon B70060 No Lid All Seasons Built-In Electric Grill
This Kenyon All Seasons model is a great choice for your outdoor covered patio. This model features the same flush-mounted design as other Kenyon models in this review.
You get an open-grill design, featuring a ceramic-coated, cast-iron grill that’s easy to remove and clean. The marine-grade stainless steel construction provides corrosion resistance while making cleanup a breeze.
This model comes with a single 1,300-Watt heating element that guarantees no flareups or charred food. This model gives you variable heat control over the element, with cooking temperatures up to 600F.
With this Kenyon no-lid All-Seasons model, you get a waterproof touch control panel for user-friendly operation., The rapid heating elements let you get the grill up to temperature in less than 7-minutes.
- 1,300-Watt heating element
- Variable heat control up to 500F
- Dishwasher safe grilling plate
- No flareups
- Sleek modern design
Weber 52020001 Q1400 Electric Grill
Weber is a household name in grilling. This company makes some of the best kettle grills available, and it’s no surprise to find they make outstanding electric models as well. This 1,560-Watt model offers you excellent outdoor grilling performance.
The Weber Q1400 electric grill comes with porcelain-enamel cooking plates and 189-square inches of cooking space. You get a fully-assembled design that’s ready to plug-and-play right out of the box. This model includes a cast aluminum lid for high-temperature grilling and easy cleaning.
With the Weber, you get aluminum heat retention liners for holding in the heat on the cooking surface, speeding up your grilling time. This model also includes a glass-reinforced nylon frame that’s lightweight, making it a good portable choice to take to the park for a cookout.
- A 1,560-Watt electric heating element
- Porcelain-enameled cast-iron cooking grate
- Cast aluminum lid
- Ready for plug-and-play use
- Infinite temperature control settings
- 189 square-inch total cooking space
- Compact and easy to clean
Cuisinart CEG-980 Outdoor Electric Grill
The Cuisinart CEG-980 is the perfect outdoor grill for singles and couples. If you live in an apartment with a small balcony, this model is an excellent choice. You get options for using this electric grill as a tabletop unit or as a standalone model thanks to its telescopic legs.
This model comes with enough cooking room to feed six to eight people, and you get ceramic-coated cast-iron grills that offer excellent heat conduction and easy cleaning. This model comes with adjustable heat control, with five settings to suit your grilling preference and the food you’re cooking.
You get 145-square inches of cooking space, with a 1,500-Watt element producing up to 5,120-BTU. The indicator light on the control side lets you know when the elements are up to temperature and that the grill is in operation.
This model comes with a hood and an aluminum design for lightweight movement around the balcony.
This model offers fast heating times, with the elements coming up to temperature in less than 10-minutes. You also get convenient compact storage, making it a good choice for camping or tailgating.
- 1,500-Watt power
- 5,120 BTU burner
- Variable heat control
- 145-square-inch grilling space
- Telescopic stand
- Briefcase-style carry-handle
- Compact and portable
Techwood Electric BBQ Grill
This electric outdoor grill is a fantastic portable unit to take with you to the park on a cookout. This model comes with fast heating action and powerful elements, featuring adjustable heat control for the perfect cooking temperature.
You get a 240-square-inch cooking surface, with a warmer rack and temperature probe included with your purchase. This Techwood model comes with enough cooking space to serve 15 people, and it features an apartment-approved design for safe cooking on confined balconies.
This model comes with a porcelain-coated cast-iron grill, providing you with easy cleaning after you finish cooking.
This grill includes a removable stand for easy access when grilling and tabletop use. The cooking hood comes with an attractive red powder coated finish for corrosion resistance, and there’s a vent to release the heat in certain cooking applications.
- Lightweight and portable
- Adjustable heat control
- 240-square inch cooking area
- Porcelain-coated cast-iron premium cooking grates
- Temperature probe
- Space-saving design with stand included
Masterbuilt MB20150618 Electric Veranda Grill
This Masterbuilt model is another ideal choice for apartment dwellers. This grill comes with a 1,650-Watt cooking element and adjustable heat control with five settings. You get a porcelain-coated cooking grate for non-stick cooking and easy cleaning.
This model comes with a hinged grill lid for easy covering of the grill, and you get a removable reflector plate providing the grill with even heat distribution across the cooking surface. This model includes overload protection, and it’s another apartment-friendly model that is suitable for small balconies.
The Masterbuilt Electric Veranda Grill features a retro-looking brick-red stand and an aluminum lid. We like the temperature gauge’s addition, allowing you to check on the cooking temperature without removing the cover.
- A good choice for balconies and small outdoor spaces
- Retro design and stand
- 1,650-Watt variable heat control
- Porcelain-coated cooking grates
- Built-in thermostat to prevent overheating
- A temperature gauge in the lid
- Hinged grill lid for easy operation
Other Best Selling Options
- Safe & Healthy - These Meat Tenderizer are made of 100% food-safe 304-grade stainless steel and food-grade ABS, say no to harmful chemicals. The Meat Tenderizer Tool is easy to use and control because it is an ergonomic design with a comfortable, non-slip handle，and the marinade injector is dishwasher safe.
- Efficient Cooking - Good concept and ingenious meat tenderizer gadget allow you to Tenderizing and flavorizing meat at the same time for fast and flavorful results, reduce cooking time up to 40%. high-quality stainless-steel needle blades on the meat tenderizer create channels in your favorite cut of meat while the 3 flavor needles inject marinade and provide a deeper level of flavor.
- Sturdy & Durable - a sturdy marinade injector plunger offers improved pressure control. Rotating the Sauces Enhancer Injector layer, "I" towards "X" marks that locks the blade for safety, "I" towards“●” indicates the whole depth, and "I" towards “half ●” is a half depth of the needle. 2 depth settings for different thicknesses of meat. If it's used carefully and maintained well, you can cook delicious food for years.
- Multi-use - The Food/Sauces Injector is perfect for almost any meats, such as beef, lamb chops, pork loin, chicken breast, turkey, fish, sauce enhancer, and so on. The meat tenderizer needle blades can break down the connective tissue of the meat, making the meat tender and easy to eat. A great tool for home kitchen and outdoor barbecue party.
- Satisfaction Guarantee - We are committed to providing you with the highest quality and full customer satisfaction. If you're not completely satisfied with our professional meat injector, contact us and we'll personally work with you until you're 100% happy.
- INDOOR AND OUTDOOR USE: The S’mores maker can be used indoors or outdoors, no wood or campfire needed. Contained use, can be used on the countertop or tabletop.
- 8-PIECE SET: This S’mores maker includes grill top, organizing, serving tray, four roasting forks, burner holder, and snuffer.
- HIGH-QUALITY MATERIALS: The roasting chimney and 4-compartment serving tray are made from white ceramic and the fuel-holder and grill top are made from durable stainless steel.
- ROASTING FORKS: Included are 4 stainless steel roasting stick with easy-grip, stay-cool handles.
- EASY TO USE: Requires 2-1/2 ounce canned Chafing fuel, sold separately. Ceramic parts are dishwasher safe; all other components are hand-wash only.
- EASY INSTALLATION - The Durostar Wheel kit is easy to install and takes less than 30 minutes to install.
- INCREASED PORTABILITY - Installing the wheel kits allows you to have convenient portability for your DS4000S.
- CONVENIENT STORAGE - Easily remove the handle for easy storage in your home or jobsite.
- Outdoor tent food cover is ideal for large crowds or moving buffet lines. Food covers for outside are easy to lift one handed, serve food with the other. Generously sized food nets for picnics fits full size dinner plate and serving dishes up to 16” inches in diameter and 10" inches high.
- Zero Waste, Elegant Look: Food screens for outside reduce stress and improve al-fresco dining. Bottom of collapsible food covers are finished with moderate lace edging acting as a barrier, an effective net for food. Better for the planet, re-usable outside food covers protect platters of food better than tinfoil, paper towels or paper plates with zero waste. Include the food pop up tent in all your party supplies.
- Great for Indoor Use Too: Food tent covers for outdoors covers plates outside and indoors. Protect fresh baked loaves of bread cooling on the counter, keep bowls of fruit and veggies safe. Prevent curious cats and kids from eating a dish not ready to serve. Protects food when windows are open to let in a breeze. Good for birthday parties, taco bar, tail gate, BBQ cook-out, camping or D.I.Y. sundae station.
- Hostess Gift and Protection: From BBQ cover to plant cover, give them as housewarming or hostess gift, or grill master or gardener gift. Secure protective tent with garden stakes or line with small rocks. Easier to position than plant netting, use as row covers for vegetables, or for mushroom and herb drying
- Useful Year Round and Easy to Store: Easy to open, collapses like an umbrella and stores slender. Cleans well, wipe, rinse off and air dry if food gets on it. Takes up little space in RV, drawers or shelves. Useful year round camping, patio dining, family cookouts or picnics. Cover bowls of popcorn during outdoor movie nights, tailgating or meal prep. For bistro restaurants or summer catering, elevates the typical spread.
Outdoor Electric Grill Buyer’s Guide
After reading through our reviews, you probably have a model or two in mind for your home. Choosing the best outdoor electric grill is challenging, especially with so many good choices. Our buyer’s guide gives you helpful tips and information for choosing the right grill in this section.
Why Choose electric Grills over Charcoal or Gas?
An electric outdoor grill offers you better portability and convenience. If you’re going camping or tailgating, an electric grill is easy to setup.
It’s also easier to use on your patio. There’s no need to fill up with propane or nat gas or keep a bag of charcoal on hand. Electric grills are easy to clean, and there’s no ash left after the fire burns out.
What are the Characteristics of the Best Outdoor Electric Grill?
When purchasing your electric outdoor grill, look for the following design choices to match your outdoor entertainment requirements.
- Freestanding – Freestanding grills are the most popular option. These models come with a frame supporting the grill, allowing you to set it up anywhere on the patio and roll it away after use. Freestanding designs come in fixed and portable models, with feet or casters for easy mobility.
- Tabletop – A tabletop electric outdoor grill doesn’t have a stand. Instead, you’ll need to set it on a tabletop or counter. These models are excellent portable choices for tailgating and camping. They typically have a lightweight design and smaller cooking areas. As a result, they provide compact storage and easy movement around the patio or campsite.
- Built-in – These electric outdoor grills come built-into a countertop. Most of them are for use in covered areas, with plenty of ventilation or a cooking hood nearby to remove the cooking fumes. These models are what you expect to find in professional kitchens—offering you the highest power and professional chef-style finishes.
When purchasing the best electric outdoor grill, it’s important to consider the materials.
- Aluminum – Aluminum offers you a lightweight frame, and it’s the top choice for portable models. However, it’s not as strong as cast-iron or stainless steel.
- Cast-iron – It’s heavy and durable. However, you’ll need a powder-coated finish to prevent corrosion of the grill.
- Stainless steel – Marine-grade 304 stainless steel is a popular choice for professional outdoor grills. Stainless steel is resistant to corrosion and easy to clean.
Size and Capacity
- Cooking space – Choosing the right cooking space depends on how many people you’ll be serving. The needs of a couple are less than that of a family. There’s no sense spending the extra money on buying a large model if you never intend on using the entire space. The average cooking space for smaller models is around 150 to 200-square inches. That space provides between six to eight servings in a single cooking session. Families of four to five people can use up to 300-square inches of cooking space. If you have the occasional cookout with friends, you’ll need up to 400 to 500-square inches of cooking area. Choose the right space to match your needs. You’ll find that the smaller models offer the same cooking advantages as the larger grills, and they also come with compact storage. Smaller models are usually countertop designs that are easy to pack away and store. Larger grills are typically built-in models like the Kenyon or grills like the CharBroil Patio Bistro, featuring a freestanding design.
- Dimensions – The dimensions of the grill also make a difference in its size. If you’re looking for a compact model to take tailgating, we recommend going with a model like the Cuisinart that features telescopic legs. If you have a covered patio, a built-in model takes up a decent amount of counter space, so make sure you have the room before committing to your purchase.
What are the Features of the Best Outdoor Electric Grill?
We recommend looking for the following features in a prospective model when browsing our listing for the ideal electric outdoor grill.
The burners are the engine of your grill. Top-end models like the CharBroil Patio Bistro come with TRU infrared heating elements, offering rapid heating times and consistent cooking. Some manufactures measure the output of the grill in BTUs, while others use the element wattage.
If you’re going with wattage, we recommend sticking at no less than 1,000-Watts for your element. If you’re using BTUs, then pick a model with no less than 5,000-BTU of output. Large, professional chef-style grills come with anywhere between 1,500 to 3,000-Watts of output.
The grill is another critical component of your outdoor electric model. Look for cast-iron grills with a porcelain or ceramic coating.
The cast-iron heats up fast and holds the heat, transferring those coveted grill marks to your food. The ceramic or porcelain coating provides a non-stick surface that’s easy to clean.
Having a cooker hood fitted with a temperature gauge is handy when you’re cooking. The indicator lets you check on the temperature without lifting the hood and releasing the heat. It’s a useful resource to have on variable temperature grills, giving you accurate cooking times.
Adjustable heat control
Most models come with adjustable heat control. They’ll feature five or more preconfigured heat settings for your grill. Top chef models offer unlimited variable settings to 600F. However, they aren’t necessary for your average backyard cookout.
Most electric outdoor grills come with an electronic control interface. Make sure you keep the controls dry and clean, especially during storage.
A cover for your outdoor grill is useful on freestanding models. The cover allows you to keep the grill on the patio safe from weather damage.
Most models come with tiered cooking levels, featuring the main grill and a warming rack. The warmer frame keeps your food hot while you wait for the rest to finish on the grill. The warmer rack isn’t hot enough to keep the food cooking, but it prevents it from going cold.
If you want to know if your food is ready to eat, a temperature probe helps you identify the perfect cooking times.
A drip tray makes cleaning up a breeze. Look for models offering removable drip trays. Some grills, like the George Forman, come with coated, removable grill plates and a drip tray. It makes it super easy to clean them since they’re dishwasher safe.
If you’re choosing a freestanding model, make sure it comes with a powder-coated frame. If you’re leaving the grill outdoors, it needs protection from the elements. While a cover is a great idea, a powder-coated frame is essential for preventing rust.
Some freestanding models come with large plastic wheels. This design makes it easy to move the grill around the patio.
Some freestanding models come with storage racks under the grill area. The CharBroil Patio Bistro also features a handy frame for hanging your tongs and grilling equipment.
Your outdoor electric grill needs a cover for efficient cooking. A lid holds in the heat, improving your cooking times without drying out the food.
Outdoor Electric Grill FAQs
Can I use aluminum foil on my electric grill?
Sure, but it’s not necessary. Many people use foil on traditional grills to prevent flareups from burning the food. However, with an electric grill, you don’t get any flareups. Electric models feature protected elements. As a result, the fat doesn’t land on the element, causing a flare. We recommend avoiding the aluminum foil on your electric grill and embrace the grill marks on your food.
Does food taste the same on an electric grill as it does on a charcoal or gas grill?
There’s a slight difference in the taste of your food when it comes off an electric grill. The coals or smoker chips on other models leave a distinct flavor in the food. However, that’s not the case with electric models. Some electric models allow you to add smoking chips to improve the flavor. However, your food will still taste great off the electric grill.
Can I leave my outdoor grill outside?
Yes, you can leave your electric outdoor grill outside. However, you’ll need to ensure you cover it. Remember, water and electrics don’t mix. IF it rains hard on your grill, it’s going to ruin the circuitry. You can pick up a cover online for a few dollars, providing your grill with all the protection it needs to weather the elements.
Where can I buy the best outdoor electric grill?
We recommend picking up your outdoor grill from Amazon, the world’s largest online retailer. Amazon offers you the widest product range and the best prices on your outdoor grill. If you’re a Prime member, you get free, fast shipping to your door and buyer protection on your order. Amazon also offers easy returns and exchanges on your grill.
Outdoor Electric Grills – The Verdict
Having an outdoor grill is a necessity for any time of year. When you feel like enjoying the outdoors with friends and family, an outdoor grill is a great way to celebrate the good weather.
By now, you should have your eye on a prospective grill for your home. However, we realize it’s challenging to settle on one model from all the excellent choices in this review. If you’re still on the fence with your purchase decision, why not go with one of our top picks?
The Char-Broil 20602108 Patio Bistro is our top choice for the best overall model in this review. This outdoor grill comes with everything you need to cook fantastic meals. There are 320-square includes of cooking space, and you get a warmer drawer included with your purchase.
The lid on this model opens smoothly and stays open to help you remove the food. The cover also features a temperature gauge, and the grill used TRU-infrared heating elements, with adjustable heat settings. The powder-coated frame is corrosion-resistant, and you get wheels on the bottom for easy movement around the patio.
The Kenyon B70425NH Texan Built-in Electric Grill is our top choice for this review’s best premium model. This grill comes as a built-in unit for your covered patio. It features design and construction with marine-grade 304 stainless steel and porcelain-coated cast-iron grills.
This model is a great choice for cooking for large groups, with two 1,500-Watt heating elements offering cooking temperatures up to 600F. The Kenyon comes with a touch-screen operation and a removable cooking hood.
The George Foreman 12-Serving Electric Grill is our top choice for apartment dwellers. This model comes with 200-square inches of cooking space and 5,100 BTU of heating power. You get adjustable temperature control and non-stick cooking plates. The drip tray is dishwasher safe, and so are the cooking plates, making for easy cleanup.