Before there were guns or knives, our ancestors were roaming the plains with a slingshot for protection and hunting. A slingshot may seem like a primitive tool, and it is. Still, it was a slingshot that allowed David to fell, Goliath, so let’s take a lesson from that story.
Most of us remember the slingshot from our youth. However, for many who grew up in the 80s or 90s, are now parenting kids of their own. A slingshot no longer resembles the same toy from the past. Gone are the wooden frames and crude elastic catapults.
Today’s slingshots feature precision design, counterweight systems, specialized projectiles, and serious power. If you’re heading out hunting, you might not believe it, but there are hunting slingshots.
If you’re already a master with the bow, then a slingshot can give you a new challenge for taking down smaller animals on the hunt. These accurate and powerful weapons are capable of lethal force, especially at close range.
In this review, we’ll unpack the best hunting slingshot options and make our suggestion on the best models available. Be sure to check out our buyer’s guide and FAQ sections after the review.
Best Pick: Professional Outdoor Slingshot
- 100% Solid Alloy Professional Slingshot,It weighs 1.6LB.Firmness,Accurate and Powerful.It uses 3X3 high velocity rubber bands.A simple stretch can unleash super power and allow the ball to reach great distances.It is the best slingshot for beginners and experts
- This slingshot with Magnet Design - Makes it possible to quickly replenish the steel balls,The wrist brace design makes the ejection base more stable. Ergonomic grip handle is more comfortable and easy to use.The power is stronger than the other slingshots.
- Slingshot with a Removable infrared sight flashlight, Find all the targets in the night. Quickly and accurately hit the target，Give you great fun to find your target at night （Batteries not included-AAA*3）
- Two more reserve rubber bands include,easy replace.Professional slingshot for outdoor Hunting, Exercise, Game competition,entertainment. Great for eye and attention training.It is a very creative and novel gift for your friends and family.
- Package Included:1x Slingshot,3 x Rubber bands,40-60 x Ammo balls,1 x Infrared sight flashlight,1 x Flashlight stand base (can be adjusted for various flashlights)， 3 x Wrench ,1 x Screw；100% Sturdy Quality Assurance. 100% Return Guarantee. Order today will give you a pleasant and satisfying experience
If you’re looking for the best hunting slingshot available, the Professional Outdoor Slingshots is the best choice. This model has plenty of power, and it comes with plenty of accessories and three spare rubber bands.
Runner-Up Pick: The COOY Hunting Slingshot
- NEW EXPERIENCE -- This slingshot is carefully designed with new materials, a black appearance， fashion streamlined hollow bow body and comfortable handle grooves. Its higher standards and faster speed will give you a more accurate shooting experience.
- HIGH QUALITY -- Made with stainless steel frame, aluminum alloy aiming device and wooden handle, which is solid, durable and more comfortable to use.
- PRECISE SHOOTING -- All metal material slingshot with double spring design. It is a professional hunting tool with Ergonomic handle grip, more power, accurate and high velocity.
- APPLICATION-- Great for eye and attention training, entertainment, competition and hunting，also great for boutique collection.
- PACKAGE CONTENTS -- 1 x slingshot, 2 x slingshot rubber ,1 X Screw Key,2 X Slingshot Rubber, 1 X Hard Clay Balls,1 X Steel Ammo Balls1 ,x Shooting Targets 16 × 16 in 1 X small flashlight combo.
For the best overall hunting slingshot, the COOY offers you a great option at an affordable price. The performance from this slingshot is outstanding, and you get the same features as the more expensive pro model we just mentioned.
Budget Pick: Daisy B52 Hunting Slingshot
- Extra Wide Fork
- Flexible Wrist Support Provides Steady
- Stable Support Then Folds Away
- Shoots 1/4" or 3/8" steel and 1/2" glass shot
- Black solid steel frame with extra-wide forks
If you’re looking for an affordable model for your kids, let them learn on the Daisy B52 Hunting Slingshot. This model has everything your kids need to learn how to shoot at an affordable price. This model is also a best-seller on Amazon, so you know it’s a popular slingshot with a good reputation.
COOY Hunting Slingshot
At first glance, you might confuse the COOY slingshot with a mini-crossbow. This unique design features everything you need in a professional-level hunting slingshot.
As far as the look of the weapon, it’s impressive. The setup features an ergonomic grip with a LED torch and laser attachment at the bottom that acts as a counterweight. The light and laser are excellent for target practice in dim conditions and home defense scenarios where you need to provide a distraction.
The performance of the COOY is outstanding. The springs and wrist strap on this model aren’t just for show. They provide exceptional stability during the shoot and additional power from your draw. This model is suitable for hunting, and it’s compatible with arrows as well.
The slingshot feels comfortable in your hands and allows for good performance in both the butterfly and flip-style shooting techniques.
Overall, The COOY offers good performance at an affordable price point. However, there are some user complaints about short band life. The dual-band system in this model could probably benefit from an upgrade to a triple-band setup.
- Unique design
- Spring-assisted system
- Powerful shot
- Handle spotlight
- Ergonomic grip
- Superior accuracy and performance
- Might be overkill for some
The Scout Hunting Slingshot
Made with American craftsmanship, the Scout Hunting Slingshot is a fantastic choice for your kid’s first slingshot. This model has high-quality design and construction featuring premium materials.
The body of this slingshot consists of durable and lightweight polycarbonate. With the slimline design of this model, you can put it in your pocket without any difficulties. The aesthetically-pleasing design of this model has a somewhat military feel to it, with the use of dark olive green and brown in its finish.
There are three other color designs available, but we think the olive/brown setup offers the best-looking platform for hunting.
This slingshot delivers in terms of performance, with fast, accurate shots, especially at close range. Unfortunately, the lack of wrist support means that it’s not the best choice for distance shooting. However, in the 15-foot distance range, this slingshot is deadly accurate.
Most other hunting slingshot models rely on three tubular elastic bands for the sling. This model features a solid, flat elastic band as the catapult, with an oversized projectile holder at the back. You also get a wrist sling that provides hands-free use when moving through the brush after your prey.
The user-friendly flip-clips allow for fast and efficient band changes, and the textured grip provides non-slip performance when drawing and aiming the slingshot. When purchasing this model, you get an owner’s manual from the North Carolina manufacturer and a satisfaction warranty.
- Traditional design and setup
- Good for beginners and kids
- Affordable and effective
- Lightweight and compact
- Adaptable to shoot arrows
- Wrist loop
- No wrist support for stronger draws
Professional Outdoor Slingshots – Adjustable Stainless Hunting Model
Professional hunters with experience behind the bow or crossbow will appreciate this model. It’s not the best choice for your 10-year old son, but if you’re looking for the most powerful model in this review, then this slingshot is for you.
This hunting model makes its intentions clear from the moment you lay eyes on it’s camouflaged frame. The ergonomic grip features drilled ports to drop weight from the slingshot. The sewn leather backstrap on the grip adds a custom look and feel to the slingshot while improving your grip on the draw and while aiming.
At the base of the grip, you have a torch and laser guide, allowing you to hunt in dimly lit conditions. The torch and laser also provide targeting and distraction capabilities when using this model in a home defense situation.
The power from the triple elastic bands is tremendous, and this model is compatible with bowheads using an additional arrow accessory. This model offers the strongest shot in this review, with less-lethal capabilities that make it suitable for taking down game birds and small livestock at close range.
The steel frame of this model features a camouflaged ceramic coating for additional durability. It also provides an eye-pleasing aesthetic that lets you know this model is for professional hunters.
You get a maintenance kit included with this slingshot, three spare elastic bands, a toolkit for disassembly, and a mounting rack. Unfortunately, one of the drawbacks is that the torch/laser combo doesn’t come with batteries included.
The power of this model can be challenging for younger kids to handle. We recommend this model for ages 13 and above. The accuracy and power on tap from this slingshot are impressive, and it’s by far our top choice in this review in terms of hunting performance.
We think that this model gets its additional power from the shorter elastic bands in the sling. While that does make the shot more powerful, it makes the draw harder as well. Therefore, teens and adults will have the strength to complete a full-draw on this slingshot. However, youngsters might struggle and lose the shot due to trying to manage the slingshot.
- High tension bands provide superior performance
- Good wrist support
- Ergonomic grip
- Torch acts as a counterweight on the grip
- Accurate and powerful
- Near-lethal from close range
- Comes with a carry case included
- No batteries included in the torch/laser setup
SinoArt High-Velocity Adjustable Stainless Rocket Slingshot
For a simplistic and functional model, you don’t get much better than the SinoArt High-Velocity slingshot. This minimalistic model consists of 6-parts – the sling and arm, the wrist strap and support, the mount and screw, and the handle.
By unscrewing the screw in the head mount at the top of the handle, you can disassemble this slingshot in seconds, making it the ideal model for traveling. Strip it in seconds and stash it out of the way in your luggage. We’re sure even TSA would let you through with it – but don’t take our word.
This simplistic model features and adjustable-power setup that you control through the mounting screw. Loosen the screw and move the elastic sling further away from you for a stronger shot, or vice versa.
The ergonomic grip feels comfortable in your hands, and this model is incredibly accurate, with no handslap, even for beginners. The manufacturer textured the grip, allowing you to grip the slingshot, even if your palms are sweaty. You get good control and accuracy using this model, and it’s a top choice for beginners and professional hunters.
However, the issue we have with this model comes with the elastic for the sling. You only get the option of one solid tubular elastic. We feel that there is a lot of power missing from this model, and a triple-band setup would have made this a real contender for the best hunting slingshot.
You also get a no-questions-asked money-back guarantee on your purchase, ensuring that you’ll get good customer satisfaction out of this slingshot.
Overall, this slingshot is good for hunting small game birds, and we rate the effective shooting distance at between 15 to 20-feet.
This model has durable components, and you can expect it to last for decades, except for a few band changes from time to time. We think the manufacturer would have done better by providing this model as a kit with extra replacement bands.
- Powerful performance from strong elastic bands and superior wrist support
- Easy to take down and strip
- Ergonomic grip
- Requires the use of a screwdriver to adjust
Daisy B52 Slingshot
Americans grew up on Daisy airsoft products. We’re sure you had a Daisy BB gun when you were a kid? Anyway, this American company carries on its tradition of producing functional, affordable, and effective non-lethal bb guns and slingshots.The Daisy B52 slingshot is another example of a simplistic but effective product from the Daisy lineup. This model features a clean design, with a black frame and yellow band with a black projectile pocket. This model looks cheap, and the frame has a somewhat low-quality feel to it.
However, the reality is that this slingshot performs perfectly, providing accurate shots while remaining incredibly lightweight on the wrist. The single elastic draw claims to have as much power as a triple elastic. However, in our testing, we found it lacked by about 25%.
However, this Daisy model is perfectly acceptable as a hunting slingshot, and we think it’s a good choice for taking down small game birds. The lethal distance for this model would be from 15 to 25-feet, depending on the strength of the user.
This Daisy is an excellent choice for newcomers to slingshot hunting. Kids will also love the simplistic operation and setup of this Daisy, making it an ideal for their first slingshot. Get them an American classic and buy them this Daisy model for their first-ever slingshot.
- Leading brand manufactured in the United States
- Wide fork for better accuracy
- Excellent wrist support
- Top-seller on Amazon
- Compact for stowing
- Good choice for beginners
- Shoots glass or steel shots
- Rubber doesn’t last as long as other premium models
For another excellent compact option in this review, check out the Torque Slingshot. This model features a robust design with a polycarbonate body that’s lightweight and easy to carry in your pocket. We can’t say that the Torque is the most eye-pleasing model in this review. However, if you value function over appearance, then this model is a great choice.
We feel that the Torque makes a tremendous first slingshot for your kid. Children between the ages of 5 and 12 will find that this slingshot provides them with excellent accuracy while allowing them to experience a full draw.
Professional hunters will find this model somewhat underpowered, and it’s a good choice for small game birds only. We would say that the effective lethal shooting distance on this model is between 15 to 20-feet.
You get an ambidextrous grip with this model, making it easy to swap between grips. This slingshot goes well with flip-style and butterfly techniques of shooting. However, the elastic band is somewhat underpowered to other models in this review, such as the Scout.
The unique handle on this model improves your accuracy at the range. However, we found that it leads to levels of hand fatigue that only allow for limited operation. Overall, this model is a good choice for kids, but we feel that the Scout model we mentioned earlier is a better choice for first-time and experienced users.
- Compact and easy to stow
- Works for both left and right-handed shooters
- Easy to change out bands
- Decent performance
- No wrist support
Best Selling Options
- POWERFUL -- Made by 6 rubber bands, the power is stronger than the other slingshots.
- MWTAL BOBY AND WRIST Support FRAME DESIGN -- The design makes the ejection base more stable. Steady handle and wrist support frame play a greater ejection intensity. Ergonomic design, made the grip handle is more comfortable and easy to use.
- REMOVABLE SMALL FLASHLINGHT DESIGN - -You can find all the targets in the night. Quickly and accurately hit the target.
- APPLICATION-- Great for eye and attention training, entertainment, competition and hunting.
- PACKAGE -- 1 slingshot with rubber band + 1 free spare rubber band + hard clay balls + Steel Ammo+ More professional equipment.
- PROFESSIONAL SLINGSHOT: Y shot slingshots with high velocity, accurate and powerful. magnetic leather hold the ammo more sturdily and easier.
- REMINDS YOU OF YOUR CHILDHOOD: You will back to unforgettable childhood memory --when I was younger and did a lot of hunting with a sling shot! Also can share happy time with your friends, family!
- PREMIUM MATERIAL: It is heavily constructed and molded to fit well in the hand. Adjustable wrist brace design makes the ejection base more stable. Ergonomic grip handle is more comfortable and easy to use.
- MULTI PURPOSE: Not only a fun entertainment choice, but also great for eye and attention training, entertainment, competition and outdoor hunting.
- PACKAGE: 1 slingshot with 3pcs high tension rubber bands, 50pcs hard clay balls, 50pcs steel ammo and 3pcs screw keys.
- Point 1---This is a Professional Hunting Tool, More power, accurate and high velocity, Magnetic leather keep slingshot ammo well, Ergonomic handle Grip, comfortable, easy to use
- Point 2---Top anti-rust stainless-steel; High-tension rubber band; Top leather wrapper;Top firing accuracy, Durable with die-casting aluminum alloy frame.
- Point 3---Outdoor Hunting Slingshots catapult high powerful slingshots with 3-quality rubber bands.Magnetic leather design keep Hunting slingshot ammo well,refill the wrist rocket slingshot more quickly.
- Point 4---Great for eye and attention training, entertainment, outdoor competition , fitness catapult and hunting, also for boutique collection.
- Point 5----Packed with a plastic gift box, 3 3-quality rubber bands, 3 Screw Key 1 Extra-light bracket and 2 packages slingshot ammo.
- POWERFUL: hunting slingshot with triple Strength rubber bands and ergonomic molded adjustable handle grip feels powerful and comfort in your hand
- PRECISE SHOOTING: adjustable wrist brace and golden proportions slingshot makes you precision hunting, this slingshot also good for a beginner
- HEAVY DUTY: all metal material slingshot with durable rubber powerful bands is great for field adventures and hunting the rabbit
- PROFESSIONAL HUNTING TOOL: high velocity, accurate and powerful. magnetic leather makes you can replenish bullets quickly
- ADEQUATE ACCESSORIES:100 ammo balls enough to outdoor hunting, one more reserve powerful rubber bands include, can easy replace
- [PROFESSIONAL SLINGSHOT]--Stainless steel slingshot with 1mm thick flat bands for strength. Quick change flat rubber bands.A lighter frame that can be used for a long time without feeling tired.
- [SHOOTING Slingshot]--Equipped with stainless steel sight. Effectively help beginners practice and accurately target.
- [WOODEN SLINGSHOT]--Using sleek wood as a handle. The design of the recurve bow makes the shooting experience more comfortable.
- [HUNTING SLINGSHOT]--Suitable for use in different environments. Including attention training, entertainment, competitions and hunting, it is also perfect for collections and gifts.
- [PACKAGE CONTENT]--Slingshot *1--Flat Bands *2(random color)--Mechanical Sights *4--Shooting target *1--Steel Ammo Balls *50--Instruction Manual *1
Hunting Slingshot Buyer’s Guide
Now that you know the best hunting slingshots available let’s show you how to pick a model that meets your needs.
A first-timer shooter that’s 8-years old will have quite different requirements from a 30-year-old professional hunter. In this buyer’s guide, we breakdown everything you need to know about finding the best hunting slingshot to match your experience and hunting ability.
Are Hunting Slingshots Legal to Use without a License?
First, we dispense with the formalities. You’re probably wondering if these slingshots are even legal in your state? That’s a good question, and some states might have legislation that outlaws the sale and use of these hunting weapons. Check with your local police department to see if they are legal before making your purchase.
Hunting slingshots are legal in most states across the US, and you shouldn’t have any issues with buying or using them. However, it’s essential to respect the power of these weapons. Hunting slingshots can cause serious damage to property or injury to people.
Never point or shoot a hunting slingshot at a person unless it is in a home defense situation. Shooting other people may land you in hot water with law enforcement and could result in possible jail time.
Be responsible when using your slingshot. Don’t use it to kill birds around town. If you’re giving it as a gift to your kid, make sure you teach them about proper and responsible use of the weapon.
You won’t need a license to operate a hunting slingshot, but that doesn’t mean you don’t need any training on the safe operation of the slingshot. This weapon can cause severe injury in untrained hands. Make sure you watch a few YouTube videos and wear the necessary PPE when practicing.
What Type of Ammo Do You Use in a Slingshot?
Slingshots take pellet ammo. Some models might include the capacity to shoot arrows as well. Depending on the model you buy and your hunting needs, there is a variety of ammunition available for you to choose from.
- Steel Projectiles – These are metal balls ranging from 0.68-mm to 0.44-mm in diameter. These rounds are dangerous and cause the most damage on impact. They have the best stopping power, and if you’re trying to bring down animals, then these rounds are a must.
- Glass Projectiles – Glass projectiles are like rubber-coated marbles. They bounce more than steel, so be careful using them in the house.
- Copper Projectiles – Some professional hunters like using copper rounds in their slingshots. These rounds are more expensive than the steel and glass versions. However, they tend to deform on impact, requiring a professional touch to shoot them accurately.
- Tungsten Carbide Projectiles – Hardened projectiles that are lighter than steel balls but have the same strength. However, these rounds are costly, and you’re better off using steel balls instead.
- DIY Projectiles – You can use almost any projectile you can think of in your slingshot from hex-nuts to pebbles, plastic, or wood. However, make sure you choose DIY ammo that doesn’t wear out the back shooting pad on your sling.
What Kind of Ammo Do I Need in My Slingshot?
Ammo comes in different materials grades, and it also features different designs. Round ammo is the most common, but some rounds have fins attached at the back for better stability when moving through the air.
Are Slingshots Dangerous?
Yes, slingshots are dangerous weapons. Just because we all remember slingshots in movies where little kids would use them to shoot and irritate other people, doesn’t mean that it’s still the same today. Modern slingshots can inflict severe injury on other people if you decide to shoot them.
It’s for this reason that slingshots are a popular less-lethal option for home defense. If you shoot someone using a steel round at close range, say less than 10-feet, the power from the slingshot may cause penetration of the skin. If you were to catch them in the face, it could cause a life-threatening injury.
It’s important to remember that because your slingshot is a less-lethal weapon, it doesn’t mean that you can’t go to jail if you injure someone. Only use these weapons for hunting, competition, or self-defense.
Do I Need to Replace Parts on My Slingshot?
Over time, you might find that some of the parts on your slingshot start to weather and require replacement. The first parts of the slingshot that require replacement are the back pad and rubbers on the sling.
Rubber bands will eventually fail over time. Rubber perishes, so even if you never use the slingshot, eventually, the rubber in the sling will degrade and snap when you do decide to pull it. The sling will typically last for around 1,000-shots before needing replacement.
Most slingshots only require you to replace the rubber bands, and maybe the rubber grip on the handle. However, most models are low-maintenance, and many of them include replacement slings for extended use before you need to buy spares.
Can I Fly on an Airplane with a slingshot in my luggage?
No, most airlines will not let you carry on a hunting slingshot. However, you might be able to pack it in your stow-luggage that goes into the luggage department. We recommend that you contact your airline and ask before you pack your bags.
What’s the Difference Between the Butterfly and Flip-Shooting Styles?
If you’re a newbie to shooting slingshots, you need to settle on a shooting style to define your hunting technique. There are two styles of shooting: the butterfly style and the flip-style. What are the differences between these two styles, and why does it matter to you?
What Is Butterfly-Style Shooting?
The butterfly shooting technique is the default mode that most new shooters fall into when they first practice with their slingshot. To start with this technique, place the slingshot in your power hand. Place the shooting round in the back pad of the sling and draw back the rubber band or bands.
When practicing the butterfly style, the goal is to align the band with your head and shoot through the forks. Depending on your preference, you should draw it to either the right or left side of your head. After pulling it back, you aim, and then release to fire.
What Is Flip-Style Shooting?
Flip-style slingshot shooting is like the butterfly method, but with a few subtle but significant changes. The shooter must pull back on the projectile and band, with the slingshot positioned at the same height.
However, with the flip-style method, you don’t pull back as far as with the butterfly method. Instead of drawing the band back towards your ear, you draw it towards your face, utilizing a quick release. Using this technique, the speed of the pull and release provides the power in the shot.
The flip-style of shooting suits home defense scenarios where you need to get off as many shots as possible in a short period.
Choosing the right shooting style depends on your situation and your needs. For power shots, the butterfly method is the best choice. This technique allows you to line up your aim and hit the target with full power.
The flip-style is good for competition or home defense. However, shooters need to master both styles to ensure they have total control over the weapon.
What Is the Effective Range for a Slingshot?
The effective range of your slingshot depends on a few factors.
- Your age and strength – While hunting slingshots are user-friendly, then often come with strong rubber bands. Young kids might not have the strength needed to draw back the band to the full-stretch position. As a result, their shots will be softer than an adult.
- Technique – Your experience in shooting a slingshot also plays a significant role in the range and accuracy of your shoots. Professional hunters and slingshot users can hit targets up to 400-feet away using a professional setup.
However, the majority of users will have the best effective range between 15 to 25-feet, depending on the ammo. At 20-feet, the power is already going to be significantly less than at 20-feet. Therefore, at 30-feet, your slingshot is going to lose plenty of power and accuracy.
The closer you are to your target, the better your accuracy, and the power you have in your shots. For larger targets, you’ll need to get closer to an effective kill shot. Some models of professional hunting slingshots come with the ability to use real arrows instead of rounds.
What Does FPS Mean?
FPS, or feet-per-second, is a unit of measurement to tell you’re the speed of the projectile, and the force it has on impact.
The stronger the elastic band in your slingshot, the higher the performance, and the faster the FPS. Near-lethal capacity is around the 300 FPS mark, and that’s far below what a slingshot can do. However, some paintball markers manage to get up to readings of over 300 FPS.
Survival Slingshot FAQs
Check through this list of frequently asked questions for more information on choosing the slingshot that’s right for you.
Does a slingshot make for a good survival weapon?
Yes, a slingshot makes an excellent hunting tool for taking down small animals like game birds. Slingshots are useful in less-lethal home defense scenarios as well.
Which is the better option for my slingshot – bands or tubes?
In the past, enthusiasts believed that flat bands offered you more power in your shots. However, the reality is that the triple-tube system provides the most robust slingshot performance available.
Is a forearm brace necessary for my slingshot?
No, it’s not entirely necessary. However, if you want accurate shots, then a forearm brace is the best way to upgrade your slingshot’s performance.
When drawing, how do I hold the slingshot steady enough to aim?
If you’re having trouble lining up an accurate shot, improve your aim by shifting the band a bit before you line up your shot. This deliberate disturbance in your rhythm will help you reset and improve your accuracy.
How do beginners prevent band handslaps?
The handslap refers to the rubber band coming back and hitting your hand after you release the shot. To prevent this from occurring, newbies should remember the rule of “TTF” – Through The Forks. Shooting with this strategy prevents the rubber from giving you a handslap.
Does my slingshot require any maintenance?
The rubber bands or tubes will need replacing from time to time, depending on how often you use the slingshot. Some models might need replacement parts like springs, batteries, or flashlight bulbs.
The Verdict – The Best Hunting Slingshot
By now, you should have a good idea of the best hunting slingshots, and which one will meet your needs. However, if you’re having some trouble nailing down your final option, why not rely on our top picks?
Choose the slingshot that suits your requirements and make your purchase. We recommend you purchase your hunting slingshot online from Amazon. You’ll find the best deals and the widest range of hunting slingshots available.