With so many different types of hiking sandals on the market, trying to figure out which option will best meet your needs can seem like a daunting task. There’s no need to stress, though, because we’ve taken the liberty of doing the legwork for you!
After spending countless hours searching the internet, reading through countless reviews, and comparing literally dozens of different pairs of hiking sandals, we’ve narrowed down the field to a handful of what we believe are the best options currently available and have assembled them in this handy guide.
Below, you’ll find our top picks for the best hiking sandals. We’ve included detailed reviews of each pair of sandals so that you can get a better idea of what type of features the offer and determine which option will best meet your needs. We’ve also added a buyer’s guide, which details the key factors you should take into consideration before you decide on a pair of hiking sandals.
To wrap things up, we answer some of the most frequently asked questions that we found shoppers asked about hiking sandals. With the information presented in this thorough guide, you should be able to choose a pair of comfortable and supportive sandals that you’ll be able to wear for all your treks.
Our Top Picks
To start things off, we decided to offer a brief overview of our top three picks for the best overall, best premium, and best budget hiking sandals. Why? – Because we know that a lot of readers are busy and don’t have the time look through all of the information that we’ve packed into this guide (we totally get it!) For that reason, we’ve spotlighted our top three options so that you can find a great pair of sandals for your treks – even if you don’t have the time to read through the entire guide.
Best Pick: Keen Men’s Newport H2 Sandal
- Performance sport sandal featuring bungee lacing system and rear pull-on loop
- Supportive contoured arch; Care: All KEEN water sandals are machine washable. Use a small amount of detergent, wash on gentle cycle and air dry. Fit Tip: This style is running a 1/2 size small. We suggest ordering a 1/2 size larger than your usual size
- Metatarsal ridge support
- Care - Machine washable, use a small amount of detergent, wash on gentle cycle and air dry
A good pair of hiking sandals should be comfortable, durable, supportive, and reliable, and Keen has successfully combined all of those features into their Newport H2 Sandal. While they’re designed for men, women can also benefit from all of the features they offer by going a few sizes down (they are available in men’s size 6.5 all the way up to 17!).
Premium Pick: Keen Men’s Solr Sandal
- WATER-RESISTANT UPPER: Made for the Sea, Ocean, Lake, and River (SOLR). These men’s water sandals feature a recycled, plastic webbing that is water- and abrasion-resistant for durable wear and quick-dry lining for active use in and out of the water
- TRACTION & PROTECTION: KEEN Aquagrip, non-marking rubber with stop zonal siping provides maximum grip on slippery wet terrain and leaves no imprint when walking indoors; Iconic toe bumper offers additional safety to help prevent injury
- SUPPORT & COMFORT: KEEN Konnectfit heel-capture system combined with lace-lock bungee capture system provides a secure, locked-in fit reducing heel slippage and offers quick and easy on/off; EVA midsole for enhanced, lightweight cushioning
- FIT & INSOLE: This style is running true-to-size and KEEN suggests ordering your normal footwear size; Non-removable EVA footbed with added arch support for all-day comfort
- CARE TIPS & ODOR PREVENTION: All KEEN water sandals are machine washable. Use a small amount of detergent, wash on gentle cycle and air dry; Includes Eco Anti-Odor, a natural, probiotic-based technology for breaking down the odor in sweat
When it comes to outdoor sandals, Keen really knows their stuff, which is why our pick for the best premium option is their Solr Sandal. Just like our pick for the best overall hiking sandal, Keen’s Solr are also made for men, but women can easily wear them by sizing down (sizes range from 7 to 15).
Budget Pick: Puno King Men’s Hiking Sandals
- Quality Guarantee: Soft Padding Inside on the front Protect your Toes; Comfy Eva and Rubber Outsole Sandals Makes sure Non-Slip when your hiking and climbing
- Best Friends Of the shoes: Shoes Heel are Thick enough and Rugged Tread with a tough rubber cap to protect your toe on the outsole for Stable Walking Best Friends Of the shoes: Shoes Heel are Thick enough and Rugged Tread with a tough rubber cap to protect your toe from the outsole for Stable Walking
- Comfy wearable: synthetic uppers with bungee laces and hook & loop adjust to personalize the fit; rubber outsole provides good support for your feet.
- Where to wear: Perfect for daily casual wear, outdoor, climbing, hiking, lake, fishing, beach, enjoy your trip in comfort!
- Season to wear: Open-air breathable sandal for daily wear in spring,summer and autumn, you can wear them to walk on the streets city for several hours a day
If you don’t want to spend a tremendous amount of money but you also don’t want to sacrifice quality, then the Puno King Men’s Hiking Sandals are definitely an option that you should consider. Again, they’re made for men, but women can easily fit into them, too, they just need to size down. The soft padded interior on the interior of the toe area prevents you from injuries and the EVA and rubber outsole provides exceptional grip and comfort. affordably priced.
Top Hiking Sandals
Now that we’ve offered you a sneak peek at our top picks for the best overall, best premium, and best budget hiking sandals, let’s take a more in-depth look. Below, we offer more detailed reviews of the shoes that we highlighted in the above section, as well as additional high-quality options.
Keen Men’s Newport H2 Sandal
Keen is regarded as one of the premier manufactures of hiking sandals, and for good reason: they are expertly designed with comfort, durability, protection, and reliability in mind.
Their Newport H2 Sandal are exceptionally designed performance sandals. Featuring 100 percent polyester waterproof webbing with a quick-dry lining and opened sides and backs, these sandals will keep your feet dry from all types of moisture, including water and sweat.
The multidirectional lugs with razor siping offers superior grip on slippery terrains and the iconic bumpers along the front keep your toes protected from injuries. Lace-lock bungee systems secure your feet in place while allowing you to easily put them on and take them off.
Compression-molded EVA midsoles provide exceptional cushioning so each step will be as comfortable as the next. Available in a wide range of sizes, from 6.5 to 17, while they’re made for men, they can easily fit women’s feet, too. There are also an impressive 32 color options available, so you’ll be able to find a look that will totally suit your style.
- Polyester webbing, water-resistant upper
- Water repellant lining
- Multi-directional lugs for exceptional grip
- Thick, yet comfortable toe bumpers for increased protection
- Lace-lock bungee capture system for secure fitting and easy on and off design
- Compression-molded EVA midsole
- Available in a large range of sizes and can be suitable for women
- 32 different colors to choose from
- Machine washable
Keen Men’s Solr Sandal
As we mentioned, Keen is one of the most trusted manufactures of hiking sandals, which is why, for our premium pick, we chose another model from this brand: the Keen Solr Sandal.
Like our best overall pick, these Keen hiking sandals also feature the manufacturer’s iconic rubber toe pump for increased protection, a bungee lock system, and waterproof materials; however, the Solr model does offer some enhanced features, which is why we chose them as our best premium pick hiking sandals. The Keen Konnectfit heel capture system, which features adjustable hook-and-loop straps along the back of the shoes, allows you to get the ideal fit.
The bottoms of these shoes offer even more grip than the previous Keen hiking sandals we discussed, as they’re an Aquagrip design, which is comprised of stop zonal siping to ensure maximum grip on the slipperiest surfaces. Made with recycled plastic webbing, these hiking sandals are water-resistant and abrasion-resistant. There’s a quick dry lining, too, so you won’t have to worry about your feet being sopping wet. With EVA midsoles, your feet will have plenty of cushioning for all day comfort.
Again, while the Keen Solr hiking sandals are advertised for men, women can also benefit from the comfort and support that they offer by simply going down a few sizes. To finish off the high-end features, these sandals are also outfitted with Eco Anti-odor probiotic-based technology that helps to prevent any odors from developing inside the sandals. However, if they do become stinky or dirty, just toss them in the washing machine for a quick freshening up.
- Recycled plastic webbing
- Water resistant and abrasion resistant
- EVA midsole provides enhanced and lightweight cushioning for superior comfort
- Rubber toe bumper prevents toe injuries
- Keen Konnectift heel-capture system and the lace-lock bungee system allows for a secure and comfortable fit
- Features Anti-Odor technology to prevent stinky feet
- Available in several size options (remember, ladies who are interested in these sandals should size down
Puno King Men’s Hiking Sandals
If you’re looking for a reliable, comfortable, and supportive pair of hiking sandals but you don’t want to spend a fortune, the Puno King Men’s Hiking Sandals are a great choice.
They feature soft padded insoles for extreme comfort and a rubber toe bumper to protect from injuries. The high-quality rubber outsoles feature strategically designed treads for non-slip grip that will keep you secure on any surface. The bottoms are also thick enough to withstand all types of wear and tear and prevent your feet from being exposed to shock.
Bungee laces and hook and loop straps allow you to achieve a secure, comfortable fit. Thanks to the open-air breathable design, you won’t have to worry about your feet sloshing around in pools of sweat. Like the previous two models we’ve discussed thus far, these hiking sandals are marketed toward men, but since they’re available in a variety of sizes, women can easily size down and enjoy all of the benefits that they offer.
They also come in four different neutral colors that will go with every outfit. Of course, because they’re our best pick for budget hiking sandals, they’re also affordably priced.
- Made of durable, high-quality materials
- Features soft padded interiors for extreme comfort
- Thick treaded bottoms absorb shock and offer exceptional grip
- Bungee closure and hook and look adjustable straps along the heels allow you to achieve the perfect fit
- Available in several sizes
- Four different color choices to choose from
Keen Women’s Whisper Sandal
If you’re a woman and you want to take advantage of the benefits that Keen – one of the most trusted manufacturers of hiking sandals – without having to size down a pair of men’s sandals, the Whisper Sandal from Keen is an excellent option to choose.
These closed-toed sandals feature a rubber toe bumper and will keep your feet properly secured and well-protected. The high-quality polyester fabric wicks moisture away so you won’t have to worry about having wet feet on your treks. With the signature quick-lace bungee system, you’ll have no trouble slipping these sandals on and taking them off.
Thick, high-grade rubber bottoms feature a multi-directional lug pattern for exceptional grip on all types of surfaces, and with a compression molded EVA midsole, you’ll have confidence knowing that your feet will remain exceptionally comfortable for miles and miles on-end.
Available in 33 different attractive color options and offered in sizes 5 through 12, you’ll have no trouble finding a high-quality pair of sandals that will suit your style and fit your foot perfectly.
- Made of high-grade polyester water-resistant fabric
- Thick rubber toe bumper for protection
- Thick outsole bottoms with a multi-directional lug pattern provides superior traction
- Compression molded EVA midsole for exceptional comfort
- Attractively designed and available in a wide-range of colors and sizes
- Affordably priced
Teva Women’s Sirra
If you’re planning on doing some light hiking and are on the market for a lightweight, yet reliable pair of hiking sandals, Teva’s Women’s Sirra sandals are definitely an option to consider.
They have an open-toed designed, so do keep that in mind, as they won’t protect your toes from bumps and bangs, so they likely won’t be ideal for rugged terrains; however, they’re certainly suitable for sandy and open terrains. Water-resistant polyester webbing uppers are highly durable and quick-drying.
The ladder lock enclosure is easy to adjust and provides a customized fit. Lightweight EVA foam outsoles are highly comfortable and the rugged durabrasion rubber outsole can easily withstand all types of abuse while providing incredible traction. The midfoot shank provides torsional rigidity, as well.
All of these factors combined make the Teva Womene’s Sirra hiking sandals a comfortable and reliable choice for lighting treks. They’re available in nine attractive colors and sizing options range from 5 to 11.
- Water-ready polyester webbing uppers
- Highly durable and fast-drying
- Ladder lock enclosure offers a customized fit
- Lightweight EVA foam outsole for exceptional comfort
- Rugged durabrasion rubber outsoles can withstand all types of wear and tear and offers outstanding traction
- Midfoot shank offers great torisional rigidity
- Available in a variety of attractive colors and sizes
Skechers Reggae Sew Me
Another comfortable, reliable, and attractive pair of hiking sandals for women is the Reggae Sew Me from Skechers. Like the Teva Women’s Sirra, these are intended for hiking in sandy, non-rugged areas.
Thanks to the completely open design, sand easily shakes off of your feet and provides exceptional breathability. Constructed of high-grade leather and featuring a rubber sole, and featuring a cushioned and contoured comfort foot bed, these hiking sandals are highly comfortable and incredibly durable.
The instep strap with quick-access buckles allows provides an easy on-off design. The midsole is made of shock-absorbing foam, which further adds to the comfort and support that these sandals provide.
- Made of high-grade leather
- Thick rubber soles with thoughtful traction for superior support
- Cushioned and contoured foot bed, combined with shock absorbing lightweight foam midsoles provides outstanding comfort
- Attractively designed
- Available in four different style/color options
- Offered in sizes 5 through 11
Other Best Selling Options
- Perfect Quick Drying Material:Soft upper with stretch breathable ultra light weight fabric for fast draining and cross ventilation help shoes get dry quickly,and creates a cooler and healthier shoe environment,just like socks, flexible and comfortable.
- Breathable Insole: Flexible insoles with holes are made of soft EVA material, they can absorb shock and reduce muscle fatigue in feet and legs.
- Easy On and Off: The pull tap at the heel allows easy put on. The convenient shoelace/ magic strap closure design helps to quickly adjust the shoes according to the width of feet, make sure the shoes are tightly fixed on your feet, so as not to worry about falling off easily.
- Safety & Non-slip: Upgraded anti slip rubber sole and soft thickened insole can provide safer traction, prevent slips and falls, and protect your feet from sharp rocks and stones.
- Occasion: Perfect for beach games, hiking, swimming, pool, surfing, water park, boating, fishing, walking, yoga and other indoor and outdoor, leisure and sport activities. Especially for family outings!
- Multi Layer Toe cap protection.
- Heel height: 1.5" (approx).
- Lightweight, flexible and comfort sport sandals.
- Durable TPR outsole and adjustable hook-and-loop closures.
- Closed-toe sandal with quick-dry construction.
- SIZING ALERT : True to size Sandals for Women! Recommend ordering your usual Sandal Size Ex: usual size WOMEN 7 (D) > WOMEN 7(D)
- STYLISH & COMFORT : Our Sports Sandals features 3D designed contoured Footbed and Rubber Out-sole for greater shock absorption. Quick adjustable sandals with quick-drying Hook and Loop Straps, upgraded shocking absorbing padded inner sides, EVA midsole for form fitting ergonomic arch support and rugged all around foot protection design.
- QUALITY & DURABILITY : Athletic Outdoor Water Sandals and Water shoes are build for ultimate comfort, high quality materials that are built to last, along with ergonomic foot design so your feet and toes are supported all day long.
- HIKING & OUTDOOR VERSATILITY : Specially designed for Hiking, Camping, Trekking, Walking the trails, Beach wear, Kayak fishing and a multitude of outdoor activities.
- VARIOUS COLORS & DESIGNS : Havana Black, Light grey, Brown, Wine, Aztec Beige, Maya Diamond Aqua, Red, Black and Blue along with our other variations and styles. Be sure to check out our other Women's Sandals and Sandals for men.
- DURABLE FOOTBED: Built for comfort, designed to last, these sandals have a two part midsole: with plush TECHLITE footbed held by our firmer TECHLITE frame for added all-day support.
- BORN FOR THE WATER: Our Women’s Columbia Sandal feature a water impervious upper construction utilizing hydrophobic webbing, thermoplastic buckles for reliable action on, in, or around all forms of water activities.
- ALL TERRAIN TRACTION: Our signature Omni-GRIP non-marking wet traction rubber outsole provides important grip for all conditions, in the river, creekside, or on the trail.
- TRAIL READY SANDALS: Designed from inception to be durable footwear, these sandals will provide sure-footed performance on the trail or rafting the rapids.
- BUILT TO LAST: Columbia’s attention to detail is what sets our footwear apart. Specifying only the highest quality materials, expert stitching and craftsmanship. These are long-lasting sandals you will enjoy for seasons to come.
- Ergonomic design provide a natural foot posture. They offer a lot of arch support and stable side motion which is super supportive and comfortable for hiking ,standing walking,or doing sports...Also with superior workmanship in stitching and trimming.
- Stylish jacquard ribbon details adds a sporty look. Soft textile lining between all the straps and your skin which provides optimal comfort which will not cause blisters. Multiple adjustable straps with hook-and-loop closures assure a personal fit, easily take on or off and stay firmly in place even long distance walking.
- The shoes midsole is made of bouncy MD which absorbing shock when landing on the ground. So that it can effectively mitigate impact. The footbed also with dense anti-slip triangle patterns to prevent slipping and quickly dry when get wet.
- The outsole with lugs are distributed scientifically to guide water and dirt, and to improve durability and ground gripping, also increase its skid resistance,wear resistance. Thick sole can protect you from sharp objects and good for someone with plantar fasciitis.
- Multi-functional : The waterproof outdoor sandals are the best all-around choice for amphibious applications. You can enjoy your time on cracked sidewalks,on cobblestone streets,up dozens of flights of stairs,on the beach,dirt paths, in the rain, in the sun
- Performance sport sandal featuring bungee lacing system and rear pull-on loop
- Patented rubber toe cap. Torsion stability ESS shank
- Removable metatomical dual-density EVA footbed
- Hydrophobic mesh lining
- If you're wearing your KEENs daily, they won't always be scuff and dirt-free. To treat day to day wear and tear, especially on lighter color leathers, we recommend using a leather cleaner and conditioner, found at most footwear dealers and/or shoe repair shops.
- EVA FOOTBED: The cushiony EVA yoga mat insole are soft and can absorb impact. The foot bed is textured to provide extra grip.
- ARCH SUPPORT: The arch support built into the sandal can help provide support to the foot while standing. It can also help control the foot and restrict excess pronation during the gait cycle.
- HEEL PROTECTION: Padded heel straps are soft and can reduce chafing and protect your heel from blister when you walking for a long time.
- INGENIOUS DESIGN: Easy hook-and-loop closure comes on and off quickly and gets the fit just right.
- ANTISKID OUTSOLE: Soft & skid-resistant rubber outsole gives you safe and secure footing and prevents from abrasion and slip.
Hiking Sandals Buyer’s Guide
Having the right gear is imperative for hiking, and of all the different types of hiking gear, footwear is undeniably the most important. Your feet need to be properly protected and comfortable, otherwise you can bet that your hike is going to be a miserable experience.
When it comes to footwear for hiking, most people automatically assume that boots are the only option; however, if you don’t like the idea of your feet being confined and sweaty, than strapping them into a pair of boots probably isn’t your idea of fun. If you’re more of a sandal type of person, you’re in luck, because believe it or not, hiking sandals have become all the rage these days.
Why consider hiking sandals over hiking boots? Because you won’t feel as constricted, you’ll be able to stretch your toes, and you won’t have to deal with trudging around in pools of sweat (gross!).
We know what you’re thinking: “Can hiking sandals really offer the protection and comfort that I need?” The answer is a resounding “YES!” Many sporting apparel manufacturers have taken notice of the benefits that wearing sandals while hiking can offer and they’ve risen to the occasion and designed some really high-quality footwear that perfectly blends together the comfort that sandals offer with the support that hiking boots provide.
In fact, once unheard of, hiking sandals have become so popular that nowadays, there are tons of different types and styles to choose from.
When you’re shopping for a pair of hiking sandals, it goes without saying that you want to ensure you’re purchasing a pair of high-quality, supportive, and comfortable shoes. While we’ve provided a comprehensive list of the very best hiking sandals that are currently on the market, you may be wondering how to decide which pair will best meet your needs.
In this section of our guide, we provide you with some key factors that you should seriously take into consideration to help you choose the right pair of sandals for you.
There are two main styles of hiking sandals: open-toed and closed-toed. Open-toed are better if you want a lot of breathability and you’re planning on using them to hike on relatively flat and sandy terrains.
Closed-toed hiking sandals are better suited for more intense hikes on rugged terrains, as they’ll protect your toes and keep your feet secured, while still offering breathability. With that said, it’s important to consider where you’re going to be hiking in your sandals so that you can choose the right type for you.
Once you decide which style hiking sandals will work best for you, support is the next thing that you’re going to want to consider. The type of support the sandals will offer depends on the midsole, as this is the part of the shoes that is placed between the outsole and insole, and as such, the material used in the insoles will have a direct impact on support and shock absorption.
Most hiking sandals feature EVA or PU foam materials. EVA foam is lighter weight and softer, but is usually isn’t as durable, while PU is more durable, but and more supportive, but it doesn’t offer as much cushioning. Which is the better choice for you? If you’re planning on carrying lighter loads (30 pounds or less), EVA midsoles should work just fine for you, while if you’re intending on carrying anything heavier than 30 pounds, PU midsoles would be a better choice for you.
In addition to the midsoles, you’re also going to want to consider the outsoles. This is the bottom layer of the shoe; the part that touches the ground. It should be made of durable materials and feature plenty of treads.
Generally speaking, outsoles that feature deep lugs – the part of that provides traction – will give you more traction, so if you’re planning on hiking in wet or slippery areas, sandals that feature deep-lugged outsoles are the best option.
The closures of your hiking sandals are important, as they dictate the type of security the shoes provide, play a big part in the overall comfort of the shoes, and determine how easy it will be to put them on and take them off.
A lot of hiking sandals feature bungee-style closures, which are easy to adjust and put on and take off. Snap buckles are another type of closure, and as the name suggests, they’re comprised of buckles that snap into place. Like bungee closures, snap buckles are easy to operate, but in order to ensure a proper fit, make sure that they are attached to adjustable straps.
Of course, another one of the most important factors to consider when you’re shopping for a pair of hiking sandals is durability. The materials that the shoes are made of will directly impact the durability. If you’re planning on hiking in areas where your feet will be exposed to water or moisture, look for water-resistant materials.
Leather is a good option, too, as it’s very durable; however, keep in mind that it isn’t water-resistant and if your feet get wet, they will take a long time to dry. The material used on the soles will also impact the durability of your hiking sandals. Thick, yet pliable high-grade rubber is your best bet, as it can withstand all types of wear and tear, yet will move with your feet.
Nobody wants to hike with sweaty feet, so make sure that your sandals are breathable. While the very design of sandals automatically makes them breathable, some are more breathable than others; for example, open-toed sandals obviously allow more air to pass through. If you’re looking for closed-toed sandals, make sure that they feature breathable fabric interiors so as to minimize the amount of sweat buildup.
Lastly, you want to be sure that your hiking sandals fit you properly. If they’re too tight, they’re obviously going to cause problem, such as blisters; however, if they’re a bit on too big, they can also pose issues, such as blister development. Make sure that your hiking sandals fit properly; your toes shouldn’t feel cramped and the heels shouldn’t flip up and down when you’re walking.
Hiking Sandals FAQs
In this portion of our guide, we provide answers to some of the most frequently asked questions consumers have about hiking sandals.
Should I choose sandals over boots?
If you like the idea of having your feet exposed to fresh air, then yes, hiking sandals are a viable option to hiking boots. Whether they’re open-toed or closed-toed, they’ll feature openings along the sides and/or backs, which will allow for more breathability than boots.
How do I size hiking sandals?
The same way you would size any other type of footwear. If you’re shopping online, look for a size guide for the shoes you are considering and measure your feet and choose the appropriate size accordingly.
Are hiking shoes really supportive?
If you purchase a high-quality pair, yes, they can be very supportive and very comfortable.
Comfort is the name of the game when it comes to your feet and hiking. By choosing the right pair of hiking sandals, you’ll be able to enjoy long hours of trekking without having to worry about painful feet. With the information presented in this guide, you should be able to find a high-quality pair of hiking sandals that you can rely on to keep your feet comfortable and secure.