Because headlamps are so important, like most hunting equipment, there are dozens of options to choose from. If you’ve never shopped for a headlamp before or you’re looking to upgrade the one you already own, trying to wade through all of the different models and figure out which one will best suit your needs can seem like a pretty daunting task.
Not too worry, because we’ve taken the liberty of doing the research for you! After scouring the internet and comparing dozens of different models and reading through countless customer reviews, we’ve weeded out the highest quality, most reliable headlamps for hunters currently on the market.
Below, you’ll find descriptions of our top choices, as well as a handy buyer’s guide that highlights the most important factors that should be taken into consideration when you’re shopping for a hunter’s headlamp.
We’ve also answered some of the most frequently asked questions that consumers have about this all-important hunting tool. With the information presented in this guide, you should be able to choose the best hunting headlamp for your specific needs.
Our Top Picks
We realize that not all readers have the time to go through all of the in-depth information we’ve included in our guide. If you’re in a rush, this section is for you. Here, you’ll find a brief overview of our top picks for the best overall, the best premium, and the best budget headlamps for hunters.
Best Pick: Bushnell TRKR 325L Multi-Color Headlamp
For the best hunting headlamp overall, our pick is the TRKR 325L Multi-Color Headlamp from Bushnell. With 325 lumens of white light, this headlamp will shines a powerful beam of light up to 95 meters away on high mod and has a 38 meter reach on low mode. It also feature a red light mode to preserve your night vision while still allowing you to see clearly without drawing the attention of your game. The blood tracking mode cases a blue light that reflects drops of blood so you’ll be able to find your prey wherever they go.
Premium Pick: GearOZ Coon Hunting Lights Headlamp
- Long beam range for spotting coons, predators, coyotes eyes around 500 yards to 800 yards.
- Rechargeable 18650 battery with circuit safety protection, power up headlamp over 15 hours.
- Engineering grade waterproof shell protects your headlamp from rough weather and collision.
- Switch between 6 different lighting modes. Adjust to a full range of lighting needs.
- Gifted box packing with 1 instruction manual, make a great gift!
If you’re looking for a top-of-the-line, powerful, feature-rich headlamp for hunting and you have some room in your budget, the GearOZ Coon Hunting Lights Headlamp is a great choice – and our pick for the best premium hunting headlamp. Designed for tracking all types of game – from deer to varmint and even predators – you’ll have no trouble finding your target when this headlamp lights the way. With a range of up to 800 yards, you’ll be able to spot your prey from far away, and with six different light modes, you’ll be able to adjust it to meet all of your lighting needs.
Budget Pick: EverBrite Rechargeable Headlamp
- 7 Lighting Modes : The EverBrite headlamp equipped with a memory mode that stores the brightness setting for the next switch-on. The headlamp features seven different lighting modes and its dual switches control CREE XPE LED (high/medium/low/strobe) and COB Lighting (White/Red/Green), allowing optimal lighting for any situation.
- Superior Brightness : With 350 lumens (max setting) of power, the headlamp can easily spot a distance of 196 FT for a maximum of 3 hours, and proximity lighting can emit up to 200 lumens, which gives you a large area of light for any nighttime mission.
- Ideal for Outdoor Activities : The headlamp is perfect for general use such as camping, hiking, climbing, fishing and more. IPX4 water resistance rated and 1-meter (3 FT) impact resistance tested make it durable and weather worthy. Moreover, it has an emergency whistle and a red-flashing taillight on the rear that is designed specifically for night runners.
- Lightweight & Comfortable Headband: The lightweight design (only 3-1/2 oz.) as well as adjustable elastic headband will make it comfortable to wear for long periods of time. 30-Degree tilting head enables you to focus light wherever you need it.
- Long Lasting and Widely Use: Up to 5 hours (Medium-beam mode) of powerful, non-diminishing brightness from the included one premium rechargeable 1500 mAh Li-ion battery. Can be uses in a broad of situations and circumstances. Such as camping, hiking, running, jogging, fishing, hunting, cycling, reading.
For budget-conscious hunters who are looking for a durable and reliable headlamp that won’t break the bank, the EverBrite Rechargeable Headlamp is an excellent choice. It features seven lighting modes and a memory mode that is capable of storing the brightness setting the next time you switch it on. Dual switches control CREE XPE LED (high/medium/low/strobe) and COB lighting (white/ red/green), allows this lamp to achieve optimal lighting conditions in any environment.
Hunting Headlamp Reviews
Now that we’ve shared a sneak peek at our top three picks for the best overall, the best premium, and the best budget headlamp for hunters, let’s dive in a little deeper.
In this section of our guide, we provide a more detailed look at our top picks for the best hunting headlamps, including the three models mentioned above – the best overall, best premium, and best budget hunting headlamps – as well as a collection of additional top-quality, durable, and reliable models.
Bushnell TRKR 325L Multi-Color Headlamp
The best hunting headlamps are durably constructed, comfortable, and offer a powerful, reliable source of light. The Bushnell TRKR 325) Multi-Color Headlamp ticks off all of those boxes. It features three different lighting modes, including white, red, and blue.
The white mode can be shined on a high or low setting. On the high setting, it has a 325 lumens output to cast a beam that reaches 95 meters away, and on the low setting, it shines a 38 meter beam. The red mode is easy on the eyes, yet tough on the darkness, to provide a reliable source of light that preserves your night vision.
Lastly, the blue light is designed for blood tracking, as it reflects drops of blood so that you can easily locate your game. In addition to providing several modes of reliable lighting, this headlamp is also extremely durable. It has an IPX-4 rating and is made of aircraft-grade aluminum, so it can withstand light rainfall and 1 meter drops.
With two adjustable straps – one that wraps around the head and one that goes across the top – the Bushnell TRKR 325L multi-color headlamp is not only reliable and durable, but it’s comfortable, too. And, because it’s backed by a 1 year warranty, you can buy with confidence.
- Features white, red (night vision), and blue (blood tracking) lights
- Adjustable white lighting
- Long-lasting run time
- Aircraft-grade aluminum construction
- IPX 4 weather-resistant and drop-resistant rating
- Features 325 lumens of ultra-bright lighting
- Two adjustable straps – one that wraps around the head and one across the top
- Backed by a 1 year warranty
- Affordably priced
GearOZ Coon Hunting Lights Headlamp
For our premium hunting headlamp, we chose the GearOZ Coon Hunting Lights Headlamp. This headlamp is capable of illuminating all types of prey, from varmints, like squirrels, to predators, like coyotes.
It features three white light modes: the low setting has an 800 yard beam range and a 30 hour runtime, the regular setting has a 50 yard range and 20 a 20 hour runtime, and the ultra-white setting has a 500 yard range and a 10 hour runtime.
In addition to the white lighting, this headlamp also features red and green light settings that can elicit eye shine on game that’s up to 50 yards away and can fully illuminate the body of your game up to 30 yards away.
It also features an amber light setting that can be used for bowfishing. Not only does this hunting headlamp provide an array of adjustable lighting options, but it’s also incredibly durable. It has an IP68 rating, so it can easily withstand dust and submersion in up to 1 meter of water for up to 30 minutes.
Powered by a fully rechargeable 18650 battery, complete with circuit safety, it’s incredibly safe, too. To further add to the appeal of the GearOZ Coon Hunting Lights Headlamp, you can purchase it in two different ways: attached to a constructed black or camo headlamp, or the headlamp on its own.
- Features 6 lighting modes, including three modes of white light, as well as red, green, and amber settings
- Equipped with four LED bulbs
- Powered by a 18650 rechargeable battery that’s equipped with circuit safety
- Long range reach
- Highly durable with an IP68 dust- and water-resistance rating
- Can be purchased affixed to a constructed baseball hat or as a standalone headlamp
- Can illuminate all types of game, from varmint to predators
EverBrite Rechargeable Headlamp
The EverBrite Rechargeable Headlamp is reliable, comfortable, and affordable. It’s equipped with seven lighting modes and dual switches that control the high, medium, low, and strobe setting (CREE XPE LED) and the white, red, and green lighting (COB lighting), you’ll be able to achieve the ideal lighting for any setting.
It’s even equipped with a memory mode, which stores the brightness setting that the lamp is currently set to so that it automatically turns back onto the same setting the next time you use it.
With 350 lumens of power at the max setting, this headlamp casts light up to 196 feet away for a maximum of 3 hours, so you’ll have a large area of light for any missions you go on in the dark. There’s even a whistle for emergencies and a red flashing taillight to call attention from behind.
This lamp is also extremely durable and has an IPX4 rating that can resist water up to 1 meter deep; it’s impact resistant, too. The headband the lamp is attached to is extremely lightweight and fully adjustable, too, so that you can achieve a secure and comfortable fit.
- Features 7 lighting modes
- Casts white, red, and green lighting
- Outfitted with a memory mode that stores the brightness setting
- Offers up to 350 lumens at the max setting of power that can cast light up to 196 feet away for up to 3 hours
- IPX 4 water-resistance and impact-resistance rating
- Lightweight, adjustable, and comfortable elastic headband
- Powered by a 1500 mAh lithium-ion battery
- Economically priced
GaiGaiMall Blue LED Headlamp Flashlight Blood Tracking
The Blue LED Headlamp Flashlight from GaiGaiMall is designed specifically for blood tracking. The LED color spectrum is optimized to improve visibility in a variety of lighting conditions.
Not only can it be used for tracking the blood of your prey, but it can also be used for fishing, for inspecting your hunting equipment, and even for reading maps and directions. The LED light features three zoomable light modes that allow you to adjust the focus across three different settings – high, low, and strobe.
The headlamp is water-resistant and can withstand all types of conditions with ease, and it’s attached to lightweight and adjustable headband that allows for 90 degree rotation, so you can get the ideal fit for your needs and shine the light in different directions.
Powered by three AAA batteries that offers a long run-time, and stored in a case that is made of anodized aircraft aluminum for superior durability.
- Outfitted with ultra-bright LED lights with zoom settings with three modes: high, low, and strobe
- Powerful blue light enhanced visibility and can be used to track blood, as well as for fishing, for checking equipment, and even for reading maps
- Powered by three AAA batteries with a long run-time
- Housed in an anodized aircraft aluminum case for extreme durability
- Water- and drop-resistant
- Attached to lightweight and adjustable headband
- Lamp can be adjusted 90 degrees
- Affordably priced
IKAAMA 6000 High Lumens Headlamp
The IKAAMA headlamp is incredibly powerful and super durable. It’s constructed of a combination of alloy, ABS, and PC, so it’s not only super durable, but it’s lightweight, too. It’s outfitted with three CREE LED bulbs that sine strong and bright 6000 lumens of light.
It has four different modes, with the lowest setting providing a focused light, the medium and high settings providing more pinpoint light, and the brightest setting flashes as a strobe to attract attention in emergency situations. The lamps can adjust a full 90 degrees, so you can shine light exactly where you need to.
With an IPX5 rating, this headlamp is water resistant and even features a waterproof switch, so it’s safe and reliable, even when it’s raining. The lightweight, adjustable design provides a comfortable and reliable fit; in fact, it’s so lightweight (just a bit more than .5 pounds) that you won’t even know that you’re wearing it after a few minutes.
It’s powered by 18650 rechargeable batteries and comes complete with a DC adapter and a USB cable. Backed by a lifetime warranty, you can buy this hunting headlamp with confidence, as the manufacturer will correct any issues that you may be experiencing, no questions asked.
- Outfitted with three CREE LED bulbs that cast a max of 6000 lumens
- Four modes of light, including low, medium, high, and an emergency strobe setting
- Constructed of aluminum alloyw, ABS, and PC for lightweight durability
- 90 degree swivel design to easily rotate and shine light wherever you need it
- IPX 5 water resistance rating, waterproof wiring, and a waterproof switch, so it’s safe to use when it’s raining
- Weighs just a bit more than 0.5 pounds and fully adjustable for a comfortable, yet sturdy fit
- Backed by a lifetime warranty
Lumen Shooter Headlamp
Last – but certainly not least – on our list of the best hunting headlamps is the Lumen Shooter. If’s outfitted with a single light that casts four different colors – white, green, blue, and red – with outstanding output.
The white light is ideal for hunting predators, alligators, and varmints, such as raccoons. The blue green light, which is the most sensitive light to the eyes, highlights the details on green vegetation and is ideal for hunting hots, coyote, fox, bobcats, and other predators.
The red light promotes night vision and is excellent for light shy prey, such as bobcat, deer, and coyote. The blue light illuminates blood and pipeline liquid and is ideal for tracking blood and for fishing. It’s easy to switch between the four different color modes, and there’s a memory function that stores the last setting that the lamp was used on.
It’s powered by a rechargeable battery with a USB charging function for quick recharging and reliable lighting. The headband is lightweight and adjustable, so you can achieve a comfortable and stable fit.
- Features a powerful lamp that shines four different colors – white, green, blue, and red
- Can be used to hunt all types of prey, including varmints, predators, and even for fishing
- A zoomable feature allows you to achieve pinpoint accuracy
- Powered by a rechargeable battery that can be recharged with a USB cable
- Lightweight, yet durable design
- Adjustable headband allows you to achieve a comfortable, yet sturdy fit
Other Best Selling Options
- [SUPER BRIGHT LED]: Illuminates up to 80 meters with a 260-lumen beam of LED light in high mode - This head lamp can light up the room, or the campsite, with ease.
- [MAXIMUM DURABILITY]: Features a durable construction that withstands 1-meter drop test, a shatterproof lens, and a water-resistant IPX4 rated body - making this head light the perfect rugged companion both indoors and outdoors.
- [7 VERSATILE MODES]: Provides 7 light modes: red, high, low, spot high, spot low, wide high, and wide low; convenient Smart Dimming technology controls light intensity. With versatile modes, you'll have optimal lighting for just about any situation.
- [LONG RUN TIME]: Long-lasting and effective with up to 35 hours of LED light in low mode. So you have the reliable power and light you need. The perfect back-up light in case of power outages.
- [ENERGIZER POWER]: This LED headlamp runs on 3 Energizer Max AAA batteries (BATTERIES INCLUDED) so you have the power and visibility you need, right out of the box. Ready to go hiking, running, camping, hunting, and so much more.
- 7 Lighting Modes : The headlamp features seven different lighting modes and its dual switches control CREE XPG LED (high/medium/low/strobe) and COB Lighting (White/Red/Green), allowing optimal lighting for any situation.
- Superior Brightness : With 300 lumens (max setting) of power, the headlamp can easily spot a distance of 328 FT for a maximum of 2.25 hours, and proximity lighting can emit up to 180 lumens, which gives you a large area of light for any nighttime mission.
- Ideal for Outdoor Activities : The headlamp is perfect for general use such as camping, hiking, climbing, fishing and more. IPX4 water resistance rated and 1-meter (3-1/4) impact resistance tested make it durable and weather worthy. Moreover, it has an emergency whistle and a red-flashing taillight on the rear that is designed specifically for night runners.
- Lightweight & Fully Adjustable : The lightweight design (only 3-9/16 oz. with batteries) as well as adjustable elastic headband will make it comfortable to wear for long periods of time. 30-Degree tilting head enables you to focus light wherever you need it.
- Widely Used: Can be uses in a broad of situations and circumstances. Such as camping, hiking, running, jogging, fishing, hunting, cycling, reading.
- Super Bright & Long-lasting - Powerful premium LED generates a brilliant beam with daylight color and definition. Runtime of up to 45 hours on low and 3 hours on high. (Powered by 3 AAA batteries - not included.)
- Lightweight and Comfortable - Weighing only 1.8 oz (3 oz with batteries), it is the ideal headlamp accessories for runners and outdoor adventurers. The removable, washable, and adjustable headband comfortably fits adult and children alike.
- Weather and Shock Resistant - Water resistant and drop tested to stand up to harsh conditions, the S500 headlamp is suitable for rain or snow, indoors or outdoors. It is the perfect addition to your running, camping, fishing, hiking, backpacking, hunting, or cycling gear.
- Pivoting Head and 7 Modes - The 45 degree adjustable headlight gives you the freedom to direct light exactly where you need it - even in tight spaces. Quickly choose from 7 lighting modes. ( White Beam: Low, Medium, High, Strobe I Red Beam: Low, SOS, Strobe)
- Exceptional Value, Includes 2 Headlamps - Keep one in your car, one in your home, or gift one to a friend or family member. Package Contents: 2x GearLight S500 LED Headlamps, 1x User Manual, 1x Warranty Card. (Batteries are not included)
- With XML-T6 LED Main White Light and XR-E R2 2 LED Side Green lights ,you can enjoy your camping, hiking, cycling, climbing and other outdoor activity.
- Green light- the human eye is most sensitive to the green range of light; Soft green light and animals are not spooked by a green light headlamp, so this led headlamp with green light is great tool for fishing & hunting
- 3 Brightness Choice ( High white 100% brightness- Medium white 50% brightness- Medium green 50% brightness) to meet your need in different circumstance.
- Micro USB Interface and adjustable -which means that you can charge it at any place and can be used as a emergency power bank .The view angle of the light is adjustable , so you won’t be tired when you with this headlamp
- It comes with a headlamp , a US charger, a USB cable ,a three headlamp car charger ,2 Rechargeable 18650 Battery. Any question fell free to contact us.PlEASE NOTE we have to remove the battery plastic protector before we use it ,or it can not be use normally
Hunting Headlamp Buyer’s Guide
Whether you’re a novice or experienced, every hunter knows that having the right type of equipment is an absolute must. Some equipment is obvious, such as your weapon of choice, camo clothing, decoys, and a great pair of protective shoes.
Others aren’t so obvious but are just as important, like a hunting headlamp. If you plan on heading out before the sun goes up or staying out after it goes down, a headlamp lights your way so that you can see where you’re going while still having full use of both of your hands. Some might argue that a headlamp is one of the most crucial tools that a hunter can have in their toolbox.
Unfortunately, many hunters – especially beginners – often overlook the importance of a headlamp.
The best hunting headlamps are lightweight, waterproof, and feature adjustable straps so that you can achieve a comfortable and secure fit. They’re also equipped with adjustable beams that allow you to change the light level to accommodate the situation and setting you’re in. Of course, the best headlamps for hunting are durably constructed and reliable, too. Needless to say, a headlamp is one of the most crucial tools a hunter can have in their arsenal.
Now that you’ve read through the reviews of our top picks for the best hunting headlamps, you’re probably wondering which one to choose. While each option mentioned on our list is certainly well-constructed and reliable, you may be wondering how to go about figuring out which one will best meet your needs.
In this section of our guide, we highlight some of the key features that should be taken into consideration when you’re shopping for a hunting headlamp. By taking these factors into consideration, you’ll be able to choose the best lamp that will suit your particular needs.
Type of Light
Hunting headlamps can feature a variety of different types of lights: white, blue, green, and/or red. Some lamps feature a single color, while others offer a collection of colors. Different colors of light serve different purposes.
- White light is idea for navigating through dark settings, such as through the woods or around a campground; however, it isn’t ideal for spotting or stalking game, as the brightness of white light tends to scare most game away.
- Red light is ideal for spotting and stalking, as most prey can’t see red light, which means you’ll be able to spot and get up close to your game without scaring it away. Red light is also ideal for night vision.
- Blue light is ideal for tracking blood, so you can track your prey after it has been injured. Blue light is also suitable for fishing, as it doesn’t cast shadow on the water, but rather shines through it and illuminates what’s swimming through it.
- Green light is the type of light that the human eye is the most sensitive to. Because it’s a soft hue, like red light, it also avoids spooking animals. It’s idea for hunting hogs, as well as for fishing.
As mentioned, some headlamps are outfitted with a single color of light, while others feature two or more different colors. When you’re shopping for a headlamp for hunting, make sure you consider the type of hunting you will be doing and the conditions you will be in to determine which one will best meet your needs.
Type of Beam
The type of beam the headlamp features is important because it impacts your vision, as well as your target. There are two main types of beams:
- Diffused. This type of beam covers a wide range because it disperses the light so you can easily see the items that are within your line of sight.
- Focused beam. This type of beam is ideal for targeting objects at a distance, as it points a focused beam of light over a relatively long distance.
Distance of Beam
In addition to the type of beam, you should also consider the distance of the beam. Headlamps are designed to illuminate the path ahead of you so that you can see what’s in front of or around you.
For ideal viewing, choose a beam that reaches at least 250 feet, as it will provide the optimal viewing so you can easily spot your prey, as well as any danger that may lie ahead.
Source of Power
Headlamps for hunting can be charged by either rechargeable or replaceable batteries. Rechargeable batteries are more eco-friendly, as you won’t need to constantly replace the batteries; which, coincidentally, makes them more cost-effective.
The downside of rechargeable batteries is that you need to make sure they’re fully charged before you head out, and if you run out, you need to be near a power source to recharge.
While replaceable batteries aren’t as eco-friendly, as they need to be tossed when they die – which also makes these types of headlamps more costly in the long-run – the benefit is that if you run out of power when you’re out in the woods, on the field, at the campsite, or anywhere else, all you need to do is replace them and you’ll be back up and running.
Durability is also an important factor to consider. Since the weather is unpredictable and can go from sunny to rainy with a moment’s notice, it’s best to choose a headlamp that is at least water-resistant, if not fully waterproof. Drop resistance is a good idea, as it will allow the headlamp to withstand falls.
Look for a headlamp that is constructed of high-grade, yet lightweight materials, such as aluminum alloy, so that it can easily withstand wear and tear.
Since you’re going to be wearing it on your head for prolonged periods of time, you want to make sure that your headlamp is comfortable.
The best hunting headlamps are outfitted with elastic headbands that can be adjusted to the size of your head to ensure a secure and comfortable fit. Some headlamps can be attached to baseball caps, too (like the model we chose for our premium pick).
Hunting Headlamp FAQs
To wrap up our guide, we’ve included answers to some of the most frequently asked questions that consumers have about hunting headlamps.
Why should I use a hunting headlamp instead of a flashlight?
While yes, a flashlight does provide portable light, and there are lots of models out there that are super durable and reliable, they aren’t ideal for hunting as it will only leave you with one hand to use. A headlamp, on the other hand, provides hands-free lighting so you’ll have reliable light to illuminate your way, but you’ll also have full use of both of your hands.
What color light should I choose?
It depends on your specific needs. As mentioned, white light is beneficial for seeing in dark settings, but when you’re hunting, white light can scare pray. Green and red light are ideal for tracking prey, while blue light is useful for tracking blood.
What’s the ideal weight for a hunting headlamp?
The best hunting headlamps are lightweight to ensure comfort. You don’t want to choose anything that weighs more than a pound; your best bet is to choose a headlamp that’s about 0.5 pounds or less.
A headlamp is a vital tool for hunting. Not only does it help you spot you prey, but it also improves your safety, as it allows you to see where you’re going and anything that may be coming your way. With the information in we’ve presented in this guide, you should have no trouble finding the best hunting headlamp for your particular needs.