Every responsible firearm owner knows where their weapons are at any time. If you misplace your gun or someone steals it, it results in a real headache with law enforcement when you have to explain that you lost your weapon to a criminal.
If you’re at home and don’t need your gun out for home defense, leave it in the safe. A gun safe is a specialized storage system designed specifically for storing firearms. A gun safe is a must-have item for any gun owner, and if you’re buying a gun, you should think about getting your safe before you pay for your firearm.
Gun safes are available in various sizes to suit handguns and rifles, as well as hybrid safes for both. When purchasing your gun safe, it’s essential to realize that this will be a one-off purchase, and this safe needs to last you a lifetime.
Therefore, you must choose a model that meets your needs, offering you the best protection for your firearms. In this review, we’ll look at the best gun safe for your home armory.
Our Top Picks
Check out our top picks if you don’t have time to read through all the gun-safe options in this review. We have our three top models on offer in different classes to suit your needs. Review these models and choose a safe that matches your needs.
Best Pick: SentrySafe QAP1BE
- Biometric gun safe provides secure storage for one standard handgun; pistol safe with fingerprint scanner for advanced protection
- Pistol safe features a gas strut to instantly and quietly open safe door for single-handed access to your handgun; ideal for use as a bedside gun safe
- Handgun safe is constructed with solid steel and a pry resistant door for strength and handgun security; manual keypad and override key for back up entry; California DOJ certified gun safe
- Exterior: 12.1 in. W x 9.9 in. D. x 3.2 in. H; Interior 9.7 in. W x 6.7 in. D x 2.2 in. H; weighs 12 pounds; four AA batteries required (not included)
- For optimal performance, SentrySafe recommends the use of four high-quality, name branded, alkaline AA batteries with an expiration date of 8-10 years from the current year. Generic and rechargeable batteries often do not have the lifespan needed to support long term usage
This biometric handgun safe is our choice for the best overall handgun safe in this review. This safe has everything you need to keep your firearm out of reach of children and criminals. The biometric fingerprint scanner ensures that only you can open the safe.
We like the quiet door release on the safe, which helps if you have an intruder in your home, and you don’t want them hearing you open your gun safe to retrieve your firearm.
Runner-Up Pick: Vaultek VT20i Biometric Handgun Safe
- UPGRADED ANTI-THEFT PROTECTION features anti-pry bars, two point anti-impact latches, interior mounted hinges, and NEW interior security brackets for the ultimate prevention against break-ins. Available with the entire Vaultek product line up including the new VT10i.
- TOUGH AND RUGGED heavy-duty 16-gauge carbon steel construction with a durable powdercoat finish preventing corrosion and ensures long lasting protection of your belongings for years to come.
- QUICK ACCESS to your valuables, documents, and firearm(s) from the automatic opening door. Get in quick when it matters most using the rapid fire backlit keypad or biometric fingerprint scanner.
- SMART SAFE TECHNOLOGY a highly interactive experience from your smartphone. You can easily toggled on/off using the available hotkeys if desired and still maintain all other safe functions. A RECHARGEABLE LITHIUM-ION battery provides power up to 4 months, and charges in 2.5 hours with the included micro-USB charging kit.
- RESPONSIVE LED LIGHTING in low light situations so you can locate your safe with the backlit keypad and easily view your safe contents with an adjustable interior LED light.
For those firearm owners that want the best-of-the-best when it comes to gun safes – the Vaultek model is your best choice. This safe features multiple access options, ensuring you never experience a lockout. This safe comes with smart-functionality that links to an app on your smart device. You can use the app to check if anyone tampers with your gun safe while you’re away.
Rifle Pick: Barska Quick Access Biometric Rifle Safe
- Your purchase includes One Barska Quick Access Biometric Fireamrs Safe – AX11780 Model, One External Battery Pack, Four AA Batteries, Mounting Hardware & Two Back-Up Keys
- Safe Dimensions: Interior – 56.5” H X 13.5” W X 12.5” D. Exterior – 57” H X 13.75” W X 13.38” D. Weight: 114 lbs
- Internal Adjustable 12 Position Rifle Rack, 3 Removable Shelves. Mounting the product is not mandatory. Secured by a five-point dead bolt made of one-inch steel locks.
- An optional Silent Access Mode is available for those who wish to have more covert access to their safe
- The advanced Biometric Fingerprint Identification System features an optical scanner that analyzes the scanned fingerprint and compares it to unique characteristics of those stored in the safes, allowing up to 120 fingerprints
This model is an excellent option if you’re looking for a gun safe to suit both handguns and rifles. You get a durable and robust design made with premium materials. This safe is a good choice for more gun capacity, and you get a robust and tamper-proof lock to keep your weapons safe and secure.
The Best Gun Safe Reviews
Now that you have an idea of the best gun safe models available, let’s unpack each of the offerings in further detail. We’ll also look at some other excellent options for your home gun safe, and our buyer’s guide section will help you settle on the gun safe that’s the right choice for your firearms.
The Best Overall Gun Safe: SentrySafe QAP1BE
This model is the ideal bedside gun safe. The SentrySafe QAP1BE features an advanced biometric fingerprint lock, ensuring you never have to worry about losing your safe key or remembering the combination late at night when you’re dealing with the stress of a break-in.
The SentrySafe comes with gas-powered struts on the door, opening the safe silently. This feature is important. If there’s anyone in your house, they might hear the distinctive sound of your gun safe opening, and either run or confront you. Either way – you lose the element of surprise.
This gun safe also comes with anti-tamper features, and thieves will find it impossible to pry open the safe with a crowbar. Mount this gun safe to the wall by your bedside for easy reach during the night.
The only gripe we have with this model is that you only get two fingerprint combinations.
- Opens silently for stealth operation
- Available in one or 2-gun capacities
- Floor or wall bolt mounting
- Biometric fingerprint scanner
- Only has a memory for two fingerprints
- Not suitable for rifles
Runner-Up: Vaultek VT20i Biometric Handgun SafeThis handgun safe features an auto-open lid and rechargeable battery. With design and construction from 16-gauge steel, this model features a powder-coated finish and a sleek look. The Vaultek is the best premium handgun safe in this review, featuring smart connectivity to your mobile device.
By downloading the Vaultek app to your phone, you can check on the status of your safe at any time. If someone tries to tamper with your safe, then it sends you a notification direct to your smartphone.
This model features multiple access options, with biometric fingerprints, combinations, and electronic keypad. This safe even features a Bluetooth option, allowing you to open it from your smart device. This model stores up to 20-fingerprints, allowing you and your partner to enter all your digits for easy use.
The scanner is sensitive, and it picks up your fingerprint successfully every time. The safe does make a slight noise when opening, but we doubt anyone in the opposing room is going to hear it. When the safe door opens, there is an inner light that helps you find your gun.
The Vaultek can accommodate two handguns and a few spare magazines. This model also comes in different sizes, full-size handguns, compacts, and you even get a rifle safe.
- Multiple access options – never experience a lockout
- Smart-safe technology with a dedicated smartphone app
- Rechargeable battery
- The safe door makes a noise when unlocking
Rifle Pick: Barska Quick Access Biometric Rifle Safe
If you’re looking for a rifle safe, then the Barska Quick Access Biometric Rifle Safe offers you the best value for your money. This model is tall enough for long guns and features some of the most impressive capacities in its class.
This safe might be more expensive than all the handgun models in this review. However, it’s available at a fantastic price point for a rifle safe.
The 12-gun capacity on this safe can comfortably hold 6 to 8 rifles with scopes and other attachments. This gun safe comes with biometric functionality, and it’s remarkably accurate. Behind the nameplate, you’ll find an emergency keyhole in case the battery for the safe dies, and you need to get into it manually.
The biometric scanner takes up to 120-fingerprints, giving you access with a single touch. You also get the option of using “silent mode” where the safe doesn’t make any noise when reading your finger or opening.
This gun safe comes with removable storage shelves, featuring 12 combinations for optimal configuration to your weapons and accessories. This model is a heavy and bulky safe. However, you’ll still need to bolt it to the floor. We recommend you keep this rifle safe in your office or the garage.
The door snaps open quickly, giving you immediate access to your guns. The anti-pry concealed hinges ensure no-one can tamper with the structural integrity of this gun safe. The door slams shut and secure with five steel deadbolts, ensuring that no-one but you will get into this gun safe.
- Plenty of storage capacity for handguns and rifles
- Strong, safe construction with a durable design
- Extra capacity for rifles
- Robust and secure locking system
- Might be too big and heavy for apartments
Viking Security Safe VS-25BL Biometric SafeThis gun safe features a 5-mm steel door with 20-mm automatic deadbolts. The Viking Security Safe features seamless welding and a scratch-resistant finish. We like the laser-cut finish on the door and body of the safe, leaving no room for a crowbar to fit into the gap.
This model comes with three methods of access.
- The first is the biometric fingerprint scanner, with 32 memory settings for fingerprints.
- The second access point is the digital keypad combination, where you enter your PIN.
- The final access system is the high-security lock and key option.
The interior of the safe features full carpeting and an interior LED light for easy identification of your gun at night. The interior of the Viking safe features an adjustable shelf for valuables or ammunition.
- This safe has a reliable fingerprint scanner
- Scanner memory holds 32-fingerprints
- The scanner works even with dirty or wet fingers
- Fully carpeted interior
- No internal display lights
- Challenging to operate at night with the lights off
GunVault SV500 – SpeedVault Handgun Safe
This handgun safe is a model that belongs in a movie. If you want a safe for a single handgun, then the GunVault SpeedVault is a fantastic option for the study or your bedside. This gun safe features a high-strength locking mechanism that’s exceptionally reliable.
The combination pad allows for easy access to your gun in a split second. However, you do get a set of backup override keys as well. When opening the safe, the interior LED light switches on, giving you a full view of your gun handle.
The interior of the SpeedVault consists of cut-out foam padding to allow snug and secure storage of your handgun. This model will fit any manufacturer, from compact to full size. The 18-gauge steel construction of this safer is impenetrable, and the mounting bracket ensures that no-one can pry this safe away from the wall.
- Designed for mounting in your home or vehicle
- Includes internal lighting
- Features a silent mode, so no-one hears you keying in your combination
- Solid, durable construction
- The unlocking latch makes a slight noise when opening
- Low battery warning only alerts you when touching the keypad
Stealth Handgun Hanger SafeThis quick access electronic pistol safe is a great choice. This model holds up to five handguns, and it’s suitable for compact to full-size guns. Three of the pistols mount on hanging racks, providing quick removal from the safe in a home security emergency.
The illuminated push-button lock system features stealth mode for silent use. You get a subtle red interior light and won’t give away your position. This safe mounts securely to your wall and includes an anti-theft cable to prevent people from walking off with your safe.
The door of this model features design and construction with a durable, 3/8″ thick steel door and high-strength locking latch. The laser-cut finish on this safe ensures there are no pry gaps, and the spring-loaded door features a speed reducer to eliminate sound when opening the door.
This safe also includes an external power port with cable and a 9-volt battery included. The interior of the safe features a padded liner to protect the finish on your guns.
- Solid and durable design for robust, secure protection for your firearm
- The easy-access keypad allows you to enter your combination in the dark effortlessly
- No-scratch barrel pegs ensure no wear on your guns
- The buttons beep when entering your combination
- You’ll have to wait a fraction of a second before entering consecutive numbers on the keypad.
Other Best Selling Options
- 【MAXIMUM SECURITY】: Tamper-resistant, pry-proof, and crafted with steel, this safe box is in high strength and solid structure. A digital keypad lets you program this electronic storage safe with your own pass code, and the included keys allow for manual locking and unlocking, secures firearms away from kids, and deters theft.
- 【BIGGER & MORE RELIABLE】: This shotgun safe/gun storage cabinet can hold 4 rifles or shotguns with accessory (scope) much easier, also deep enough to have several pistol hangers or handgun organizer on the back of the door. The TOP COMPARTMENT inside can store bullets, handguns(enough space for at least 4 handguns), money, jewelry, passports and other valuables in your home or office.
- 【INSTANT HOME DEFENSE】: Quick firearm access during emergencies. Solid all steel body and the reliable locking system can completely prevent the children and others from reaching inside.
- 【COMPACT DESIGN】: Keep it hidden from intruders, as the slim, sleek design allows you to store in compact areas such as your closet; OVERALL DIMENSIONS: (inch): 11.8”(W) x 11”（D) x 55”(H) ; TOP COMPARTMENT DIMENSIONS(inch): 11.8” (W) x 6.7"（D) x 7.5” (H).
- 【COMPLETE ACCESSORIES AND BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE】: includes: 1 x rifle gun cabinet, 1 x Emergency battery box, 2 keys, 2 x anchor bolts, 1 x manual. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us ,our professional customer service team will respond in less than 24 hours.
- GUN SAFE - If you have young children who don’t understand the potential danger of firearms, it’s essential that you keep them safely stored. Placing them in this Pistol Safe is a responsible way to properly secure your small firearms at home or on the go.
- 3-POINT ENTRY with the upgraded smart biometric scanner with immediate access mode, rapid fire backlit keypad and manual keys. INSTANT ACCESS to your valuables, documents, and firearms from the automatic opening door. Get in quick when it matters most using the fingerprint.
- TOUGH & RUGGED - Expertly crafted using sturdy steel construction, the RPNB handgun safe will provide long-lasting strength and use for years to come. It also features a prevents corrosion, black finish for a durable, professional appearance, making it easy to incorporate into any interior space.
- HIGH CAPACITY & ANTI-THEFT PROTECTION: Deluxe quick-access firearm safe for multiple handguns. Featured on safes includes pry-resistant door, durable dual-layer steel housing and seamlessly welded pry-proof steel body for the ultimate prevention against break-ins. Pre-drilled holes and hardware included for floor-mounting.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - We are committed to business integrity quality after-sales guarantee. 1 year warranty!
- ✅【QUICK ACCESS Biometric Gun Safe for Pistols】 QUICK ACCESS to your gun safe and valuables, documents, and firearm(s) from the automatic opening door. Get in quick when it matters most using the rapid backlit keypad, spare key or biometric fingerprint scanner
- ✅【TOUGH AND RUGGED steel construction】 The heavy-duty handgun safe is made of reinforced solid steel wall construction. Built-in hinges and a new internal safety bracket for the maximum prevention against break-ins. Durable powder coating finish preventing corrosion avoid being destroyed and ensure long-term protection of your belongings for years to come. Moutec gun safe pistol safe keeps you and your family away from firearms and protecting your belongings all the time.
- ✅【INSTANT Biometric / PIN Code and Key ACCESS】For extra-fast 1 second access, a simple touch (of a pre-determined fingerprint) is all it takes. This gun safe can hold up to 20 individual fingerprints, and its touch lifetime is more than 1,000,000 times. INSTANT ACCESS to your valuables, documents, and firearms from the automatic opening door. Get in quick when it matters most using the fingerpirnt.
- ✅【Backlit Keypad and SILENT MODE】 In low light situations so you can locate your pistol safe with the backlit keypad quickly. You can also set the silent mode. It is important function when you have introducer at night or you want to use the safe without distubing others.
- ✅【LARGE CAPACITY & ANTI-THEFT PROTECTION, 2 Year Warranty】Exterior Dimensions : 13.4" x 11" x 3.3", Interior Dimensions 11.8" x 7.5" x 2.4". Deluxe quick-access firearm safe for 2 handguns or 1 handgun and some magnizines. Featured on safes includes pry-resistant door, durable dual-layer steel housing and seamlessly welded pry-proof steel body for the ultimate prevention against break-ins. Pre-drilled holes and hardware included for floor-mounting.
Gun Safe Buyer’s Guide
Now that you have an idea of the best gun safes available, let’s look at why you need a gun safe in the first place. Securing your gun or gun collection using a safe just makes good sense. You keep them out of the hands of criminals and unqualified individuals.
However, there’s more to a gun safe than merely selecting one that fits your gun. A gun safe has numerous specialized features built-into it specifically to cater for storing firearms.
In this section, we’ll look at the reasons you need a gun safe, and what features to look out for when selecting your safe.
Why Do You Need a Gun Safe?
There are plenty of reasons why gun owners need to invest in a high-quality gun safe for their residence. Here are a few of our top reasons why you need one in your home.
Do you have kids in the house? – Kids see cartoons with characters shooting each other all the time. Unfortunately, we all grow up around violence. If they see your gun lying around, they’re likely to start playing with it. Older kids may try to steal your weapon or sneak off to use it behind your back.
Are there kids in the neighborhood? – If you have kids that are responsible with firearms, it doesn’t mean that their friends have the same attitude. Avoid letting your gun fall into irresponsible hands and keep in the safe when you aren’t carrying.
Firearms cost plenty of money – Losing your guns to theft, damage, or fire is enough to make you want to burst into tears. Secure your weapons in a safe, and never concern yourself with the thought of loss.
Thieves and criminals target guns – There’s a significant black market for stolen weapons. If a thief breaks into your home and finds your gun, they’ll steal it, and you’ll have to explain that loss to law enforcement who won’t be happy with your behavior.
What are the Important Features of a Gun Safe?
So, what are the crucial features of a gun safe? You need to know what you’re looking at when comparing models. In this section, we’ll give you everything you need to know about selecting a gun safe with the right accessories and storage requirements for your gun or firearm collection.
What kind of Capacity do I Need?
When selecting your gun safe, the priority you have is to choose a model that offers you enough space for your gun collection. If you only have a handgun, then it’s senseless to buy a large rifle safe. You need a small, compact safe you can install close to your bed, in the closet in the bedroom, or nearby your nightstand.
Most manufacturers will over-state the capacity of the safe to meet other competitor models in the market. However, the reality is that that most safes will hold much less. Sure, a standard 10-rifle gun safe might hold ten rifles with no accessories. However, add a few scopes to the guns, and you’ll find you can only fit five or six rifles into the safe.
You also need to consider other family members using the safe to store jewelry or other important documents like passports. You’ll have to accommodate these storage items alongside your guns and still have ample space for your weapons.
The last thing you need is to battle with opening your safe and accessing your rifle or gun in an emergency.
The safe interior design will likely feature racks and other components that hold your rifles too close together. Interiors featuring this type of design don’t suit guns with pistol grips, wide fore-ends, long barrels, and flared mag wells.
When choosing your gun safe, make sure that you go with a larger model than you think will be necessary for your gun collection. If you think you might be adding to your gun collection in the coming years, then we suggest you investigate a larger gun safe to accommodate any new purchases.
Is the Gun Safe Accessible?
Choosing where to position your gun safe in your home is a critical decision. If your bedroom is on the second floor, then storing a heavy gun safe in your bedroom will likely damage the floors and take up plenty of space.
Large gun safes are better in the garage or a secure room on the ground floor. We recommend you always secure the safe to a foundational, load-bearing wall.
Unfortunately, having a gun safe on the ground floor of your home won’t help you if criminals break into your home at night. Navigating your way to the safe without alerting intruders is next to impossible. How will you get to your guns in time?
The solution is to add a smaller gun safe in your bedroom. A smaller gun safe should house your handgun, as well as a few spare mags and some ammo. In an emergency, you have your firearm, and you’re ready to deal with the threat.
If you have kids, then make sure you choose a gun safe with biometric access. Kids will spend hours looking for the safe key or trying to figure out your code – even after you tell them never to touch the safe or your guns, they’re still going to try – it’s just what kids do.
Therefore, a biometric lock helps to prevent anyone but you from opening the safe. Some gun safes come with smart functionality. You can connect these safes to an app on your phone.
The safe sends notifications to your phone via Wi-Fi if anyone tampers with the keypad or biometric reader.
What Do Gun Safes Weigh?
Gun safes can weight a few pounds, or a few hundred pounds, depending on the size and rating of the model. As a rule of thumb, the heavier the safe, the more secure it is, and the higher the safety rating. It might surprise you to learn that thieves will do their best to remove your safe from the wall and load it into a car or truck if they can.
Bolting your safe to the wall helps, but having a heavy, immovable gun safe is always the best option. Heavy rifle safes require installation on a solid floor with plenty of support. We recommend that you choose a load-bearing wall and place the safe in the corner of the room.
In some cases, a heavy safe might require you to reinforce the floor around the base to prevent it from damaging the floor.
What are the Kinds of Locks Available on Gun Safes?
It might surprise you to learn that the locks on gun safes are not all equal in security features and ratings. Make sure you choose a lock with a rating of UL 768 Group II or higher. This rating will provide your safe with enough protection to stop thieves from breaking into the safe.
When selecting your lock, you have a few choices available. Here are the common types of locks you’ll find on gun safes.
A biometric system requires your fingerprint to open the lock on the safe. This locking mechanism works in the same way as the fingerprint ID on your smartphone. As you apply your chosen finger to the biometric pad, the system identifies and opens the lock on the safe.
Most gun safes will permit you to enter multiple fingerprints to open the safe. As a result, you can program it to accept any finger or your partner’s finger.
With a biometric lock, you don’t have to worry about misplacing your keys or your kids finding them and opening the safe. You don’t have to worry about getting your combination, and your safe snaps open with a simple touch.
One disadvantage of biometric safes is that they require electricity to operate. Therefore, if the battery on your safe dies, you won’t be able to get to your gun. Make sure you check the safe after a power outage to make sure the battery has a full charge.
Some biometric safes come with a key override system, making it easy to access your safe if the power goes out.
Quick-Combination Vault Locks
Quick-combo locks require the use of a PIN to provide entry to the safe. Some models have manual combination locks, while others are electronic. As we mentioned previously in the biometric section, digital safes require a power supply. Therefore, make sure your battery always has a charge.
When receiving the safe, you program it with your combination. When you want to access your gun, all you need to do is enter the PIN, and the safe opens. Most combination PINS are four to five digits in length, allowing you to memorize it for easy recall.
Most combination locks also allow you to change the combination at any time. Therefore, you can change it up every few months to ensure no-one learns your PIN. The only disadvantage of combination safes is that they take some time to enter the PIN before opening the safe. There’s also the chance that the stress of the situation might cause you to forget your PIN.
Never write your code down anywhere. Your kids could find it and open the safe.
Radio Frequency ID Locks (RFID)
These gun safes require the use of an RFID chip to open the door. These safes come with a fob that you attach to your keyring. Whenever the fob is within a specified distance of the safe, it automatically unlocks the door.
This tech is handy, and some models will permit you to fix your dot to your smartphone, allowing you to open the safe by swiping your device over the RFID reader. Most RFID gun safes come with a backup entry system, such as a key or keypad.
Dial Combination Locks
The dial combination lock is the first lock advancement Away from the traditional key. These locks are like those you see in the movies where the cat-burglar pulls out a stethoscope to listen to the tumblers line up.
Dial combination locks are picky, and they’re a terrible choice for a home gun safe lock. These locks require calibration after every few years of use, or the tumblers stop lining up, and you won’t be able to open the safe.
Along with the maintenance, they also take some time to open. If your mess up the combo, you must start from the beginning again. That’s not the ideal situation you want to put yourself in when there’s an intruder in your living room.
Key Lock Mechanisms
Keys are the most affordable option, and they work. Unfortunately, there’s a laundry list of problems associated with key locks.
What if you misplace or lose your key? What if the key breaks in the lock? What if your kids find the key? When there’s an intruder downstairs, fumbling through your key chain could cost you’re your life.
Can I Bolt the Safe to the Floor?
If you want to ensure that thieves don’t take off with your safe, you’re going to have to bolt it into position. Don’t assume that you have a heavy 10-gun safe, and no one will have the strength to move it.
There are some ingenious criminals out there. If they somehow find out that you have an unbolted gun safe, they’ll probably rent a forklift and rob your home when you’re away with the family.
It’s important to note that standard and mid-range fireproof gun safes feature pre-drilled holes in the steel base, allowing you to bolt them to the floor. Other gun safes, particularly handgun safes, will feature pre-drilled holes in the rear panel of the safe, allowing you to fix it to the wall.
Always fix your gun safe to a secure and stable surface. Set up large safes in a corner, preferable on the ground floor of your home. Before you drill the holes to fix your safe to the wall or floor, make sure there is no wiring or plumbing.
Never bolt your gun safe to timber flooring, tiles, wooden cladding, or the carpet. Tiles will shift and move under the weight of the safe. Wood splinters and carpets twist when tightening the bolts.
Ensure that you remove a section of your skirting board when installing your safe. This technique helps you safe fit flush against the wall.
What Kind of Steel Gauge Is Best for Gun Safes?
The grade of steel and thickness of the material is a significant factor in determining the strength and weight of your gun safe. To ensure that your gun safe offers your collection the best security and safety, we recommend that you check the gauge of the steel and the thickness of the walls and door.
Gun safes manufactured in the United States offer the best quality steel and construction. US steel is high-quality, and American-made gun safes feature excellent workmanship. The most important feature is the UL rating of your new gun safe.
When selecting your safe, make sure you choose a quality product. Some safes feature thin 14-gauge steel covering drywall, making the safe appear robust. Look for safes with varying thicknesses in the walls and doors, as that can also be a sign of drywall stuffing.
Thin-wall safes that use low gauge steel offer minimal levels of protection. A thief could drill through the wall and the lock in less than an hour.
Ensure that your gun safe features design and construction with minimum 10-gauge steel of the sides, top, and bottom. The door should feature a minimum of 7-gauge steel for the best protection.
The welding is another crucial part of your safe. Check the joints on your gun safe and look at the quality of the welds on the hinges. The hinges should feature a full-length weld to ensure the best strength. Partial welds make it easy for thieves to grind or snap off the hinges.
A properly welded joint that gets good penetration will be stronger than the base steel. Gun safes featuring a UL 687 rating or more require a continuous quarter-inch weld in its construction. Make sure the manufacturer mentions these details on the spec sheet of the gun safe.
What Kind of Warranty Do You Get with Your Gun Safe?
If you purchase a well-built gun safe, without any electronic components, you can expect it to last a lifetime. Many gun safe manufacturers offer lifetime warranties or guarantees on safes. However, it’s more of a marketing gimmick. A solidly constructed gun safe will never give you any problems.
If you’re settling between two safes, and one offers a warrantee, and the other doesn’t don’t use that as the deciding factor. If you check your homeowner’s insurance policy, you might find that it includes coverage for your gun safe as well.
In most cases, the causes and events covered by the warranty will rarely occur. Therefore, don’t rely on the warranty length as your deciding criteria.
If you’re purchasing an electronic safe that relies on biometrics or keypads, then it’s a good idea to go with a model that has a warranty covering the electrical components. If anything goes wrong, you send it back for replacement, repair, or refund.
Most electronic gun safes come with lifetime warranties on the safe and up to 25-years on the electronics. Check the features of the warranty to see the terms and conditions, and what it covers. The electronics and lock are the two most expensive components on your safe to replace or repair. In some cases, it might cost up to $600 for a locksmith to crack your safe and replace the lock.
Gun Safe FAQs
Do you know which gun safe will suit your rifle or firearm collection? If you’re still sitting on the fence with your decision, read through these frequently asked questions.
Will my floor support the weight of a gun safe?
Most floors will support the weight of a standing gun safe. However, we recommend that you bolt the safe to the foundation wall, removing the pressure from the floor. According to country-wide building regulations, you should find a floor joist or a bearing wall to mount your gun safe.
Must I reinforce the floor around my gun safe?
If you live on a second apartment floor and have a heavy gun safe, it’s best to reinforce it using additional joists as braces.
Is it easy to break into a gun safe?
It might surprise you to learn that while your gun safe looks secure, locksmiths have no hassles opening them. Therefore, if a thief has locksmith knowledge, they ill probably be able to get into your safe.
How much money do I need to spend on a gun safe?
The amount of money you spend on your safe depends on how many guns you own. The size of your weapons also plays a role in selecting your gun safe as well. You could pay anything from $100 to $2,000 for your gun safe, depending on what model you choose and your requirements.
Where is the best place to place the safe in my house?
The safest place to mount your safe is where two exterior walls meet. This mounting position provides the best support and protection for a heavy gun safe. If your home has multiple levels, then we recommend keeping your gun safe on the ground floor.
By now, you should have a clear indication of which gun safe suits your needs, and where you need to install it in your home. If you’re still having trouble with narrowing down a shortlist of gun safes, why not rely on our top choices?
The SentrySafe QAP1BE wins our top honors as the best overall gun safe in this review. You get secure storage for your firearm, along with easy access and silent operation. It’s an excellent choice for a safe for the bedroom. The biometric fingerprint technology allows for easy opening and provides storage for one handgun.
The Vaultek VT20i Biometric Handgun Safe is a fantastic choice for a premium gun safe with all the bells and whistles. You’ll never experience a lockout with this safe, thanks to the multiple points of entry. The smart-functionality of this safe is a standout. You can check on its status anytime through the smartphone app on your device.
If you’re on a tight budget for your gun safe, then we recommend the Barska Quick Access Biometric Rifle Safe. This model is also the best choice for rifle or gun owners that need a safe for storing both. It’s available at an affordable price point and comes with a lifetime guarantee.