In this guide, we’ve compiled reviews of our top picks for the best family camping tents. Each review highlights the key details, as well as the pros and cons, of each model. We’ve also included a handy buyer’s guide, which includes the key factors that you should take into consideration when you’re shopping for a family tent.
We wrap things up by answering some of the most frequently asked questions that consumers have about family tents. With the information featured in this review and buyer’s guide, you should be able to choose the best tent that will serve as the centerpiece of your family camping trips and will allow you and your loved ones to enjoy some much-needed quality time in nature together.
Our Top Picks
We realize that not everyone has the time to read through an extensive list of reviews. That’s why we put together this section, which features our top three picks for the best overall, best premium, and best budget tents for families.
Best Pick: Ozark Trail 9-Person Instant Cabin Tent
- Large windows with mesh screens, No assembly required, poles pre-attached to tent
The best tents for camping are durably constructed, easy to assemble, offer plenty of space to spread out, feature distinct areas, and offer other convenient features that make camping with a family easier and more enjoyable. The Ozark Trail 9 Person Instant Cabin Tent with Bonus Screen Room checks off all of those boxes. The floor plan offers enough room for up to 9 adult campers and can fit three queen airbeds, and boasts a room divider that splits the tent into two sections to create two separate areas.
Premium Pick: NTK Arizona GT 9 to 10 Person Camping Tent
- RATED #6 FOR THE BEST FAMILY TENT IN THE USA IN 2016. SPACIOUS 9 to 10 Person (aduls/kids), 2 Rooms, 2 Doors, 3 Windows Tent Designed for Easy Assembly with color coded poles. Super 6.2 FT height for maximum comfort.
- FULL COVERAGE RAINFLY: Double layer 190T polyester laminated with polyurethane 2500 mm water column, partially aluminium, heat-welded PU seam sealed and UV protection, Large covered mesh vents provide even more ventilation. Inner tent: Large D-style doors with mosquito mesh for great views and ventilation. Roomy utility pockets and gear loft for gear storage.
- FRAME: 100% virgin NANO-FLEX shock corded fiber glass rods with improved diameter and double gold plated ferrules. Aluminium Pin-and-ring system for easy and quick setup.
- MOSQUITO MESH: Inner tent fully breathable with generous Ultra-thin polyester no-see style mesh keeps you safe from smallest insects and mosquitos while offering some privacy from side view (when not using the rainfly).
- FLOOR MATERIAL AND DESIGN: Heavy duty anti-fungus seamless polyethylene with inner silver coated layer keeps you dry and protected enhanced by the unique element barrier bathtub-style construction (you won't wake up in a puddle!). Security: Meets CPAI-84 flammability requirements. Heavy duty carry bag with compression straps and ID label to personalize your tent.
For families who are looking for a high-end tent and have extra room in their budget, the NTK Arizona GT 9 to 10 Person Camping Tent is an excellent choice. This premium-quality tent is well-constructed, super durable, easy to set up, and offers all of the features that you and your family could possibly need to have a great experience. This three season tent offers enough space for up to 10 adults and children and has a room divider to create two distinct spaces.
Budget Pick: Hikergarden Campros 8-Person Camping Tent
- 【Roomy for 8 People or 9-Person Family】 CAMPROS tent is the perfect family tent you’ve ever seen. With the dimension of 14 x 9 x 6(H) ft. 3 queen air mattresses or 8 sleeping bags are well fit in the tent. Ideal for family car camping or camping site.
- 【Durable & High-Quality Material】 Made with 185T polyester. With the 1000mm polyurethane hydrostatic rated coating high-tech, the tent guarantees PU1000mm water-resistant. The tent stays completely dry under the light rain. CAMPROS tent keeps you warm and take you to sweet dreams at night. Ideal for outdoor camping, hiking, fishing in all weather.
- 【Easy Set-Up】 No particular skills needed, 2 people could set up the tent easily in 5 min. The camping tent comes with a smooth 2-way zipper and well-made poles. The carry bag is 24.6 x 8.26 x 8.26 inches big as a sleeping bag. You could restore the tent in the carry bag easily.
- 【Breathable & Separated Room】The camping tent has 1 large mesh door, 5 mesh windows & mesh tent top, which allow the breeze to come in and keep the bugs out. CAMPROS tent comes with a separated curtain to provide divided rooms. You could also enjoy movie time at night when projecting on the divided curtain. The camping tent weighs 17.4 lb. You could carry the bag in your backpack or store in the car easily.
- 【No Risk Purchase】 CAMPROS offers unconditional 1-year quality assurance to offer you a risk-free purchase. If you have any questions about the tent, email us at any time. We offer a 24/7 customer service and we’ll give you a satisfied solution in 12 hrs. The tent also includes stainless stakes, guy line rope for protection. Just buy it!
For families who want a spacious and reliable tent but don’t want to spend a fortune, the Hikergarden Campros 8-Person Camping Tent is a fantastic choice. The room floor plan offers enough space to accommodate up to eight people and can comfortably fit up to three queen sized air mattresses or eight sleeping bags. Constructed of high-grade 185T polyester and coated with high-tech polyurethane hydrostatic material, this tent is water-resistant and built to last.
Family Tent Reviews
Now that we’ve provided you with a sneak peak of our top three picks for the best overall, best premium, and best budget family tents, let’s dive in a little deeper and take a closer look.
In this section of our guide, we provide a more detailed look at our picks for the three above-mentioned tents for families, as well as additional high-end, durable, and reliable models that are perfect for families. These reviews highlight the key features of our favorite tents, as well as a list of the pros and cons for each one.
Ozark Trail 9-Person Instant Cabin Tent
Our pick for the best overall camping tent is the Ozark Train 9-Person Instant Cabin Tent with Bonus Screen Room. It checks off all of the boxes that a good family tent should have: it’s well-made, easy to set up, offers plenty of room, offers some handy additional features, and it will most certainly protect you from the elements.
It measures 82 inches by 29 inches by 32 inches and with a center height of 7 feet, anyone who measures 6’10” will have plenty of head clearance. Made of high-end lightweight yet durable polyester UV-resistant fabric and featuring a rain fly that’s treated with a water-resistant coating and tapes seams that prevent moisture from getting inside, you’ll have peace of mind knowing that you’ll be protected from the elements.
The frame and legs of the tent are made out of lightweight and the tent comes complete with 18 steel stakes to ensure that it’s well secured to the ground. The super-fine mash screens offer great ventilation so you’ll have plenty of fresh air and the interior will keep nice and cool. It also offers an e-port to store away electrical cords so you can power your electronics inside the tent without having to worry about tripping.
With enough space to fit up to nine sleeping bags or three queen sized air mattresses, you and your family will have plenty of room to stretch out. A fabric divider is easy to put up so you can create two individual spaces and a wall with mesh pockets provides plenty of storage space to keep your gear in easy reach and neatly organized.
It also features a bonus screen room on the front. All of these features and the Ozark Trail 9-Person Instant Cabin Tent Camping Outdoors Family with Bonus Screen Room is really easy to set up.
- Made of high-grade water- and UV-resistant material
- Fits 9 sleeping bags or three queen sized air mattresses
- 7 foot overhead clearance
- Large windows and doors with fine-mesh screens for proper ventilation and protection from pests
- Features plenty of pockets for easy organization
- Electrical cord storage
- Room divider to create two separate spaces
- Screened-in porch
- Easy to set up
- Seam seal to prevent moisture penetration
NTK Arizona GT 9 to 10 Person Camping Tent
The NTK Arizona GT 9 to 10 Person Camping Tent is our pick for the best premium family tent. It’s made of 190T polyester and laminated with polyurethane 250mm water column with a partially aluminum, heat-welded PU seam, which keeps moisture and UV rays out.
The large covered mesh vents offer exceptional ventilation and the fine mesh keeps pests at bay. Oversized D-style doors will let you enjoy the views of the great outdoors while you’re relaxing inside.
The nano-flex shock corded fiberglass rods and aluminum pin-and-ring system allows for fast, easy, and secure setup. Heavy duty anti-fungus seamless polyethylene with an inner silver coated layer keeps the ground underneath you dry. There’s plenty of room for up to nine campers or three queen sized air mattresses.
When you need some privacy, you can put up the room divider in seconds, and there are lots of built-in pockets to keep your gear close at hand.
- Exceptionally durable, water-resistant and UV-resistant.
- Great ventilation
- Two doors for easy access
- Can accommodate 9 sleeping bags or three queen sized air mattresses
- Features a room divider to create two separate spaces
- Easy and quick setup
- Heavy duty ant-fungus seamless polyethylene bottom
- Built-in storage pockets
Hikergarden Campros Tent 8-Person Camping Tents
For campers who are looking for a durable, reliable, spacious, and affordable family tent, the Hikergarden Campros Tent 8-Person Camping Tents is a great choice. It’s made of 185T polyester material that features a 1000mm polyurethane hydrostatic rated coating to ensure water-resistance.
There’s enough space to accommodate up to 8 campers or three queen sized air mattresses, ad a divided curtain can be used to create two separate areas; it can also be used to project movies on. Mesh pockets on the interior can be used to store your essentials and an e-port makes it easy to charge up your electronics.
In about five minutes, two people can set the tent up, so you’ll have the protection you need in no time. All of these benefits and the Hikergarden Campros Tent 8-Person Camping Tents is also very affordably priced.
- Made of 185T water-resistant and UV-resistant polyester
- Easy to set up
- Can accommodate up to eight sleeping bags or three queen sized air mattresses
- Excellent ventilation
- Room divider can be used to create two separate spaces
- Backed by a 1-year quality assurance guarantee
- Available in three colors: blue, green, and red
- Affordably priced
Coleman Weather Master 6-Person Tent with Screen Room
Coleman is one of the most trusted manufacturers in the camping gear industry, and their Weather Master 6-Person Tent with Screen Room is a testament to their reputation. The floor plan offers enough space for up to six campers or two queen sized air mattresses.
A separate floorless screen room on the front of the tent is a great place to hang out and enjoy pest-free lounging. The WeatherTec system features patented welded floors and inverted seams that you can count on to keep you nice and dry. The large windows and doors with fine mesh screens keep the bugs at bay.
An interior divider can be used to delineate two separate areas for parents and children and built-in pockets are great for storing your essentials close-at-hand. An e-port allows you to easily run an extension cord through the tent so that you can keep your electronics powered up.
A hinged door makes enter and exiting the tent a cinch. Leak-free seams, weather-resistant fabric, waterproof floors, and a wind-resistant frame are just some of the additional features that round out the benefits of the Coleman WeatherMaster 6-Person Tent with Screen Room and make it a great choice for family campouts.
- Made of high-grade materials
- WeatherTec system ensures protection from the elements
- A patent-pending hinged door makes entering and exiting the tent a cinch
- Divider creates two separate rooms
- Can fit six sleeping bags or two queen air mattresses
- Floorless screened-in room at the front of the tent
- Built-in pockets for convenient storage
- Fast and easy to set up
- Wind-strong frame
- E-port for convenient charging
Core Two Room 12 Person Instant Cabin Tent with Side Entrance
Next up on our list of the best family tents is the Core Two Room 12 Person Instant Cabin Tent with Side Entrance. With enough room to fit up to 12 campers, you and your family will have plenty of space to spread out and enjoy the protection this tent offers when you’re sleeping under the starts.
The instant-setup ten-leg pole design makes set up a breeze; in fact, it can be set up in two minutes or less. The poles are pre-attached to the tent, so all you need to do is unpack it, unfold it, lift up the legs and extend them. Made of super durable materials, complete with a water repellent rainfly will keep you well protected from the elements.
The rainfly can be removed to expose the mesh ceiling so you can enjoy even better ventilation of views of the sky. A D-door and a T-door allows for easy access to the tent, and an attachable center room divider will allow you to create two distinct areas. It comes complete with all of the hardware you’ll need to set it up and it’s backed by a 1 year limited warranty.
- Made of high-end materials to ensure durability
- Water-repellent rainfly
- Fabric room divider can be used to create two spaces
- Two entryways: a D-Door and a T-door
- The poles are pre-attached to the tent to allow for fast and easy setup
- Interior storage pockets will keep essentials nearby
- Backed by a 1 year limited warranty
Ozark Trail 12-Person 3-Room Instant Cabin Tent with Screen Room
Last on our list of the best family tents is another option from Ozark Trail. Their 12-Person 3-Room Instant Cabin Tent with Screen Room offers plenty of space for up to 12 campers or three queen sized air mattresses.
It boasts two room dividers, so you can create three distinct areas. The fully taped factor-sealed seams ensure that the tent remains dry and there are 10 full closable windows that allow for great ventilation when it’s nice out and can be zipped shut if the weather turns.
Three entry doors – one for each room – make entering and exiting the tent a cinch. A screened-in room at the front of tent is a great spot to enjoy nature without the bugs. Electrical cord access and plenty of built-in pockets round out the features, and it comes complete with all of the gear that you’ll need to set it up, and set up is a cinch.
- Durably constructed and weather-resistant
- Can fit up to 12 campers or three queen sized air mattresses
- Features two room dividers to create three distinct rooms
- A screened-in porch can be used as an additional sleeping area or a space to enjoy nature without the bugs
- 10 fully closable windows provide great ventilation
- Three entry doors provide easy access
- Built-in storage pockets and an electrical cord storage area
- Can be set up in less-than 2 minutes
Other Best Selling Options
- Spacious 8-person tent has enough room for 3 queen size air beds
- WeatherTec system with patented corner welds and inverted seams helps keep water out
- Extended door awning keeps shoes and gear dry; hinged door offers easy access
- Measures 16 x 7 feet with 6-foot 2-inch center height
- Quick setup in 15 minutes with carry bag included for easy transportation
- Instant 60 Second Setup; Sleeps 9 people; Fits two queen air mattresses; Center Height:78
- CORE H20 Block Technology and adjustable ground vent
- Features room divider and wall storage pockets keep items neat and off the tent floor
- Electrical cord access port (port is fully closable when not in use)
- Includes rain fly, tent stakes, and carry bag
- Weatherproof; Welded corners and inverted seams keep water from getting in; included rainfly offers extra weather protection
- Conventional Pitch: Sets Up in 15 Minutes
- Roomy interior: 15 x 12 ft. With 6 ft. Center height; fits 2 queen-size air beds
- Bug-free lounging: 10 x 5 ft. Full-floor screen room
- Carry bag: Included for easy storage
- 6-person camping tent with built-in illumination for family or group trips
- LED system offers three brightness settings for overhead interior light
- Attached 9 x 6 ft. screen room offers bug-free area for relaxation
- Spacious interior has room for 2 queen airbeds
- WeatherTec system and rainfly keep tent interior dry and comfortable
- Spacious 6-person tent has enough room for 2 queen-size airbeds
- Separate floorless screen room offers bug-free lounging
- WeatherTec system with patented welded floors and inverted seams to keep you dry
- Measures 11 x 9 feet with 6-foot 8-inch center height; Screen room measures 9 x 6 feet
- Rainfly and expandable carry bag included
Family Tents Buyer’s Guide
Between carting the kids to and from school, sports, and playdates, work, chores around the house, appointments, you lead a hectic lifestyle. With so much on your plate, it can be hard to fit what matters most into your schedule: Spending time with your family.
What’s the perfect way to get spend some quality downtime with the ones you love? Camping! There’s nothing better than getting back to basics and appreciating all the wonder that Mother Nature has to offer with your family. Camping is the perfect way to have meaningful experiences and make memories that will last a lifetime.
Of course, when you’re planning a camping trip, you need to make sure that you have all of the necessary gear if you want the experience to be a success. As far as gear goes, a tent is one of the absolute staples.
The portable roof and walls shield you from the elements and give you a temporary shelter where you can sleep safely and comfortably. When it comes to tents, however, standard designs and models that are made for families aren’t the same. Family tents are specifically designed with adults and children in mind.
In other words, they offer more space than a standard tent, but they also feature other elements, such as sectioned off spaces that delineate mom and dad’s “room” from the kids “room” so that you can all enjoy a little privacy when you need it.
Just like traditional tents, however, there are so many different kinds of family tents on the market, and they aren’t all cut from the safe cloth. The last thing you want to do is make a poor choice and then end up regretting it when you’re out roughing it; talk about a hassle.
To avoid frustration and tears (from both the kiddos and adults alike), we’ve taken the liberty of doing the research for you. After hours of research and reading through the descriptions and customer review of dozens of customer reviews, we’ve narrowed down the options to what we consider to be the best family tents currently on the market.
Now that we’ve introduced and provided detailed descriptions of our top picks for the best family tents, you’re probably wondering which one you should choose. While each option on our list is very well made and they all offer an array of features that would make them ideal for family camping trips, some options may be better suited for you than others.
To help you decide which tent to choose, we’ve included this handy buyer’s guide, which highlights the key factors that you should take into consideration before you decide on a tent for you and your family.
Of course, you want to make sure that the tent you choose will offer enough space for everyone who will be camping with you. Of course, you could always opt for a tent that’s larger than what you actually need – a tent made for eight people when you only have four in your party, for example – that may not be the best strategy.
Firstly, the larger the tent, the more space you’ll need to set it up, which may limit where you can use it. Secondly, larger tents usually have higher price tags, so unless you don’t mind spending more for something that you don’t need, going for the larger than you need tactic may not be the right option.
Generally speaking, when you’re choosing a tent for your family, keep the +2 rule in mind; in other words, opt for a tent with a capacity that’s two higher than your party. In other words, if you have a party of four, a tent for six will offer enough space for everyone to stretch out, as well as any gear that you need to keep inside.
You’ll also want to consider the materials that the tent is made of. Polyester, nylon, and canvas are among the most popular options. Canvas tents are extremely durable and are considered four-season tents (they can be used year-round); however, that protection does come at a price, as canvas tends to be pretty pricey; plus, canvas is heavy.
Nylon and polyester are lighter weight and durable; however, they are usually considered three-season tents, meaning they aren’t ideal for winter weather. You can get around that though, as you can use tents, heated pads, camping stoves, and other tools that are designed to keep you warm. Nylon and polyester tents are also less expensive than canvas.
Ventilation is another very important factor to consider. If the tent doesn’t offer good ventilation, the interior will get hot, stuffy, and moisture can accumulate inside (not to mention the fact that things can get a little smelly).
The best tents have lots of ventilation; multiple windows, as well as ventilation along the top and bottom of the tent. Make sure that the ventilation can be covered, however; make sure that it comes with a rainfly that covers, but doesn’t block, the vents at the top and that the windows and vents along the side have feature flaps that can be zippered closed. In the event that the weather turns, you can zip up the flaps to keep moisture out.
Another extremely important factor that you’re going to want to take into consideration is weather-resistance. The best tents feature water-resistant materials that prevent them from becoming saturated and keep moisture from making its way into the tent. Make sure you look for a tent that says it is treated with a waterproof component. Some tents also feature what is referred to as “bathtub floors”.
These floors are made of various water-resistant materials to prevent moisture from seeping in through the floor. You should also check that the seams are sealed. Seam sealing is important, as it seals up any holes where the fabric was sewn together. Those holes may be tiny, but there are a lot of them and water can easily drip into the tent through them. To block moisture penetration, the seams are covered with waterproof tape and a waterproof adhesive is used to secure it in place.
In addition to protection from the water, you’ll also want to look for a tent that offers protection from other elements, such as UV rays and the wind. The last thing you want to do is lay down to take a nap in the afternoon and wake up with a sunburn, so make sure you look for a tent that is UV-resistant. A tent that features strong, durable poles and with the fabric properly secured to it is a must to withstand the wind.
The layout is another important factor to consider. For privacy, you’ll want to look for tent that has separated areas. Some tents feature a fabric divider that can be opened and closed or that installed and removed to create distinct spaces.
Others feature separate pods that are connected to a common gathering area and the pods act as individual rooms and can be closed off. Some tents also feature a screened-in room at the front of pack of the room, which can be used as a place to enjoy bug-free fresh air or as a separate sleeping area.
Consider the storage that the tent offers, too. Attached or removable pockets are great, as they provide you with a place to keep your valuables and anything else that you want to keep close at hand in a convenient location. Some tents also feature e-pockets that can be used to feed electrical cords through the tent so that you can charge up your devices.
Family Tent FAQs
Should I try to reach the maximum occupancy?
No, avoid meeting the maximum occupancy; always stay underneath it by at least two people. For instance, if the tent says it can hold eight people, stick to no more than six campers, otherwise you’re going to end up being really cramped.
Can family tents be used in the snow?
It depends on the type of tent you purchase. If you want to camp in the snow, make sure you choose a four-season tent, which is designed to handle snow. A valuable tip: even with a four-season tent, try to avoid using it while it’s actively snowing, as they may not be able to handle snow loads.
Should more than one person set up a family tent?
Technically speaking, one person could set up a family tent; however, if you want it to go faster, you should ask someone in your party to lend a helping hand.
Camping is a great activity for families of all sizes and with kids of all ages. It’s a great way to get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life and just enjoy the simpler things – and of course, time with one another. With the information presented in this guide, you should be able to choose a top-quality tent that will suit the needs of your family and that will help to make your camping adventures all the more enjoyable.