Unexpected rains can quickly ruin sightseeing when on a once in a lifetime trip or even a hike. This underlines the importance of investing in a good quality travel umbrella to keep you dry.
The best compact umbrellas for travel should be light, small, and durable. It should easily fit in your carry on or handbag without any inconvenience.
Compact umbrellas are made of flexible fiberglass that will be able to withstand strong winds. Also anything with a strong canopy fabric. You will also want a sizable canopy that will be able to protect you from rain and strong sun if needed.
Finding a quality umbrella can be challenging given the number of options out there. We have looked at over a dozen umbrellas to save you the stress of doing it yourself. We have tested five noteworthy styles for the best compact umbrellas this year.
Top 5 Best Compact Umbrellas for 2020
|Repel Windproof Travel Umbrella|
Less than 1 lb
|Bodyguard Travel Umbrella|
|Rain-Mate Compact Travel Umbrella|
Just under 1 lb
|EEZ-Y Compact Travel Umbrella|
|McConnor Travel Windproof Umbrella|
1. Repel Windproof Travel Umbrella with Teflon Coating – Best Umbrella Overall
Most travel umbrellas are made using six to eight ribs, the Repel umbrella goes further and encompasses eight ribs.
The fiberglass-reinforced ribs paired with the umbrellas metal frame and shaft make the Repel one of the most resilient umbrellas you can ever have.
The fiberglass material used to create the ribs is corrosion free and also adds some additional longevity to the umbrella.
The Teflon coating on the fabric of the umbrella helps improve water resistance, and also allows the umbrella to dry quickly once you step inside. The Repel Windproof Travel Umbrella is very user-friendly. The automatic opening and closing mechanism allows you to operate the umbrella one-handed when your other hand is occupied with your luggage.
The Repel compact umbrella has everything going for it including an ergonomic handle crafted from slip-proof rubber and a wrist strap to make sure it never slips from your grip. Additional features include its lightweight design coming at less than one pound and measuring 11.5 inches with all the quality materials used.
Repel are geared to making sure that you don’t purchase any other umbrella. The company offers a lifetime replacement guarantee if it ever breaks so you only have to be careful not to lose it.
2. Bodyguard Travel Umbrella – Best Windproof Umbrella
The umbrella is built of 10 flexible long lasting ribs that prevent it from turning inside out even during the strongest gusts.
The high-quality material trend is seen in other parts as well. The umbrella has a wide 46″ high-density fabric canopy that is coated with Teflon which allows it to be water repellent with great coverage.
Built to withstand harsh winds, the company made sure to make the open and close button equally resistant. Like the Repel Umbrella, the Bodyguard Travel Umbrella also has a rubberized handle that is ergonomic and offers a good grip.
Compressing the umbrella reduces it into a neat 12.6 inch package that easily slips into the included waterproof leather sleeve. The company also offers a lifetime guarantee and will replace your umbrella- no questions asked, if at all it falls short of your expectations.
3. Rain-Mate Compact Travel Umbrella – A Virtually Indestructible Umbrella
The Rain Mate Compact Travel Umbrella has nine reinforced fiberglass ribs and an all-metal shaft. Feel free to walk out even on the gustiest days because this umbrella features a flip technology that ensures your canopy stays convex.
Even when the umbrella manages to flip inside out, the canopy’s fiberglass hinges prevent the ribs from breaking.
These features alone are ideal for many people as it makes the umbrella virtually indestructible, not to mention the lifetime guarantee that comes with it.
The Rain-Mate Compact Travel Umbrella comes with an automatic close and open mechanism for quick handling and control. Collapsed, the umbrella folds in three stages to 12 inches, and you will also love that it comes with a storage sleeve so you can easily carry it in your purse or backpack.
Though small, the 42″ canopy offers enough space for two and many of you color lovers will appreciate the wide variety of options available. The Rain Mate Compact Travel Umbrella comes in black, pink and rainbow colors.
4. EEZ-Y Compact Travel Umbrella – Top Pick for Versatility
The EEZ-Y umbrella offers a no-frills package that is easy to transport and comes in a sleeve that helps in keeping it neat and dry.
The EEZ-Y company claims that the umbrellas double-canopy design ensures incredible resistance to gusts of up to 55 mph. The tempered metal shaft and nine reinforced ribs make the umbrella stronger than the competition and tough to invert.
One big flaw of the umbrella is that the 9-rib design does not offer structural strength as the ribs did not coincide with ribs on the opposite side. The umbrella is very easy to use, however, thanks to the ergonomic handle and automatic mechanisms embedded.
The canopy of the EEZ-Y umbrella is quite heavy and is somewhat difficult to close. You will need some additional muscle technique to open the umbrella despite having an open button. Overall, the EEZ-Y is a perfect umbrella for outdoor events and travel due to its weight.
5. McConnor Travel Windproof Umbrella – Strong and Lightweight
The umbrella is made using an 8-rib carbon and steel frame that can easily withstand the pressure from weather elements and time.
The ultrafast single open and close button ensures that you can quickly get in or out of your car without getting wet.
The one-handed operation makes the McConnor efficient and elegant. The slim and lightweight design means that the umbrella can easily fit in your purse or backpack.
The umbrella also has an ergonomic rubber handle that is designed for a good non-slip grip, especially for those windy days. An elastic strap is also included on the handle to make sure this does not happen.
Other Best Selling Options
- 🌂COMPACT TRAVEL UMBRELLA - This small light mini purse umbrella weighs only 0.5 lbs, and that includes the waterproof case.
- 🌂STURDY & WINDPROOF UMBRELLA - The frame is a silver aluminum shaft and comes with fibreglass rib meaning the umbrella won't break for strong winds. The Yoobure Travel Umbrella is great choice for you when traveling.
- 🌂99% UV PROTECTION - An extra layer was added to form this UV umbrella in order to provide UPF 50+ protection which blocks 99% of UV rays. Additionally, this extra layer of UV protection will help you feel much cooler than other umbrellas when it is sunny and hot outside!
- 🌂WATERPROOF CASE AND IDEA GIFT - The mini umbrella comes with a stylish waterproof case that is only 7 inches long. Perfect gift for Men,Women, kids and students, parents, friends, colleagues ,lovers.
- 🌂LIFETIME WARRANTY - If you don't love your umbrella for any reason then just return it for a full refund. Or, we'll replace it if you have any problems.
- ☔ Automatic Open Close Compact Travel Umbrella: This windproof umbrella features an innovative, one button auto open and close design, making it's one of the simplest folding umbrellas to operate. At 11.5 inches (29 cm) when closed, our lightweight umbrella (15 ounces) fits into any backpack, briefcase, or carry all with ease
- ☔ 9 Rib, Double Vented Windproof Canopy: Our black umbrella features 9 resin reinforced fiberglass ribs that withstand the strongest gusts of wind and are designed to give, not break, preserving your umbrella should you face extreme conditions. The canopy on our small umbrella is double vented, which lets wind pass through while keeping you dry
- ☔ Teflon Coated for Superior Protection and Repellency: Our umbrellas for rain are designed to beat back Mother Nature. No matter the conditions, you'll stay dry. The canopy of our folding umbrella features a Teflon coating that sheds water and resists the extreme punishment of the sun, keeping you protected
- ☔ World Renowned Workmanship: Featured on TV and on Wire Cutter, our portable umbrella is known for its durability, functionality, and size. From its ergonomic rubberized grip to its small size, our compact umbrella is designed for travel and protection from whatever mother nature can throw your way
- ☔ Lifetime Replacement Policy: You're protected for life from the rain, snow, and sun through our lifetime replacement policy. If anything goes wrong with one of your rain umbrellas, we'll send you a replacement; no return is required. We strive for the highest customer service
- DURABLE DESIGN TO WINDPROOF UMBRELLA:This is an unbreakable umbrella for men and women. This Compact umbrella has Black Metal Shaft and Fiberglass Ribs ensure high resistance to 55 mph wind gusts. It comes from an umbrella manufacturer with a history of 15 years.
- SUPERIOR WATERPROOF: SY Travel Umbrella have a premium quality canopy which is made from 210T pongee that in highly water repellent and quick drying. The fabric won't easily soaked to shake gently after closing the umbrella, then all the drops will gone
- FULLY AUTOMATIC UMBRELLA: Auto open and close umbrella can handy for quick entry into a car, building or tent. You can quickly open or close the travel umbrella at the press of a button
- COMPACT AND LIGHTWEIGHT UMBRELLA: It is convenient to carry that is only 10.8 inch when folded, allowing you to store it anywhere. Because of the fiberglass material, our umbrella is lightweight(about 12.2 oz)
- ABSOLUTE SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: We are a real umbrella manufacturer that can guarantee the quality of the umbrella. You can buy a great quality umbrella at a very good price. If it doesn't meet your expectations, just contact us at once. If anything at all goes wrong with your umbrella, we will send you a repair replacement absolutely free
Things You Must Know Before Buying a Compact Umbrella
When purchasing a travel umbrella, you will want to make sure that it can protect you from weather elements and is also durable. Here are some pointers on what to look for in a good compact umbrella.
Umbrellas primary purpose is to protect you from rain, but other factors such as wind and sunlight might affect their performance as well. Here are a few elements you should pay particular attention to when buying one.
One important factor to consider when sheltering from the rain is the size of the canopy, and a large-sized canopy will serve you best.
Picking one from the store, however, is easier said than done. There is usually a trade off between the compactness and the size of a canopy. A more compact umbrella will not typically have a big canopy.
While the benefits of a large canopy are easy to see, small canopy umbrellas are fine for light rainfall. These can also be great for kids due to their lightweight design.
A deep and rounded shaped canopy will protect you better from the wind. Some unique designs like the double-canopy designs also perform well and are easily maneuverable in high winds. If winds are a major concern, some models have deep canopies that can be pulled down over your head and shoulders.
An overhead canopy will not only protect you from the rain, but also protect you from the sun. A large canopy means you will get a larger shade.
If you plan to use an umbrella for shade on a hike you will want to use a lightweight and compact style.
Another factor to consider on sun protection is the color of the canopy. A black color canopy or one with dark patterns will absorb more heat and radiate it underneath the canopy. A clear canopy, on the other hand, offers no sunlight protection whatsoever.
The strength of the shaft and stretchers play a big part in the performance as well as the longevity of an umbrella.
Shafts and Stretchers
Most products we have tested were made out of wood, acrylic, steel, or aluminum.
While a compact sized umbrella offers its advantages, their durability suffers more than non-compact styles.
A shaft made out of a single material will endure abuse more than a segmented shaft. Material such as steel and iron are just as durable as aluminum and fiberglass.
Umbrella canopies come in a range of sizes and are made from a variety of materials. Most are made from nylon or some tightly woven fabric, but you will also find others that are crafted from PVC plastic.
PVC is naturally waterproof, and nylon canopies will have some chemical treatment to make them water resistant as well. Such information is undisclosed on the product tags, as it is not very important.
The canopy fabric will most likely survive all kinds of abuse, and the main features to research should the stretches and shaft.
Portability (Length and Weight)
A compact, lightweight umbrella is useful because it won’t weigh you down during your adventures. Most travel umbrellas are just over one-pound, but there are some light builds that weigh close to half a pound.
Most compact umbrellas measure about 12 inches in length and can easily fit in a purse, carry-on luggage or side pocket of a backpack.
We recommend that you consider the compressed length and weight of a travel umbrella before making a purchase.
The Bottom Line
Whether you are traveling to a new city or are just preparing to go to the office, all these compact umbrellas are solid options.
Compact travel umbrellas tend to have similar features, but the buyer’s guide above will ensure that you are able to distinguish the tiny differences that separate them.
The umbrella you want to purchase will depend on your main travel needs. Just ensure that you take into consideration an umbrella’s portability, durability, and weather protection before picking one.