Unexpected rains can quickly ruin sightseeing when on a once in a lifetime trip or even a hike. This underlines the importance of investing in a good quality travel umbrella to keep you dry.
The best compact umbrellas for travel should be light, small, and durable. It should easily fit in your carry on or handbag without any inconvenience.
Compact umbrellas are made of flexible fiberglass that will be able to withstand strong winds. Also anything with a strong canopy fabric. You will also want a sizable canopy that will be able to protect you from rain and strong sun if needed.
Finding a quality umbrella can be challenging given the number of options out there. We have looked at over a dozen umbrellas to save you the stress of doing it yourself. We have tested five noteworthy styles for the best compact umbrellas this year.
Top 5 Best Compact Umbrellas for 2020
|Repel Windproof Travel Umbrella|
Less than 1 lb
|Bodyguard Travel Umbrella|
|Rain-Mate Compact Travel Umbrella|
Just under 1 lb
|EEZ-Y Compact Travel Umbrella|
|McConnor Travel Windproof Umbrella|
1. Repel Windproof Travel Umbrella with Teflon Coating – Best Umbrella Overall
Most travel umbrellas are made using six to eight ribs, the Repel umbrella goes further and encompasses eight ribs.
The fiberglass-reinforced ribs paired with the umbrellas metal frame and shaft make the Repel one of the most resilient umbrellas you can ever have.
The fiberglass material used to create the ribs is corrosion free and also adds some additional longevity to the umbrella.
The Teflon coating on the fabric of the umbrella helps improve water resistance, and also allows the umbrella to dry quickly once you step inside. The Repel Windproof Travel Umbrella is very user-friendly. The automatic opening and closing mechanism allows you to operate the umbrella one-handed when your other hand is occupied with your luggage.
The Repel compact umbrella has everything going for it including an ergonomic handle crafted from slip-proof rubber and a wrist strap to make sure it never slips from your grip. Additional features include its lightweight design coming at less than one pound and measuring 11.5 inches with all the quality materials used.
Repel are geared to making sure that you don’t purchase any other umbrella. The company offers a lifetime replacement guarantee if it ever breaks so you only have to be careful not to lose it.
2. Bodyguard Travel Umbrella – Best Windproof Umbrella
The umbrella is built of 10 flexible long lasting ribs that prevent it from turning inside out even during the strongest gusts.
The high-quality material trend is seen in other parts as well. The umbrella has a wide 46″ high-density fabric canopy that is coated with Teflon which allows it to be water repellent with great coverage.
Built to withstand harsh winds, the company made sure to make the open and close button equally resistant. Like the Repel Umbrella, the Bodyguard Travel Umbrella also has a rubberized handle that is ergonomic and offers a good grip.
Compressing the umbrella reduces it into a neat 12.6 inch package that easily slips into the included waterproof leather sleeve. The company also offers a lifetime guarantee and will replace your umbrella- no questions asked, if at all it falls short of your expectations.
3. Rain-Mate Compact Travel Umbrella – A Virtually Indestructible Umbrella
The Rain Mate Compact Travel Umbrella has nine reinforced fiberglass ribs and an all-metal shaft. Feel free to walk out even on the gustiest days because this umbrella features a flip technology that ensures your canopy stays convex.
Even when the umbrella manages to flip inside out, the canopy’s fiberglass hinges prevent the ribs from breaking.
These features alone are ideal for many people as it makes the umbrella virtually indestructible, not to mention the lifetime guarantee that comes with it.
The Rain-Mate Compact Travel Umbrella comes with an automatic close and open mechanism for quick handling and control. Collapsed, the umbrella folds in three stages to 12 inches, and you will also love that it comes with a storage sleeve so you can easily carry it in your purse or backpack.
Though small, the 42″ canopy offers enough space for two and many of you color lovers will appreciate the wide variety of options available. The Rain Mate Compact Travel Umbrella comes in black, pink and rainbow colors.
4. EEZ-Y Compact Travel Umbrella – Top Pick for Versatility
The EEZ-Y umbrella offers a no-frills package that is easy to transport and comes in a sleeve that helps in keeping it neat and dry.
The EEZ-Y company claims that the umbrellas double-canopy design ensures incredible resistance to gusts of up to 55 mph. The tempered metal shaft and nine reinforced ribs make the umbrella stronger than the competition and tough to invert.
One big flaw of the umbrella is that the 9-rib design does not offer structural strength as the ribs did not coincide with ribs on the opposite side. The umbrella is very easy to use, however, thanks to the ergonomic handle and automatic mechanisms embedded.
The canopy of the EEZ-Y umbrella is quite heavy and is somewhat difficult to close. You will need some additional muscle technique to open the umbrella despite having an open button. Overall, the EEZ-Y is a perfect umbrella for outdoor events and travel due to its weight.
5. McConnor Travel Windproof Umbrella – Strong and Lightweight
The umbrella is made using an 8-rib carbon and steel frame that can easily withstand the pressure from weather elements and time.
The ultrafast single open and close button ensures that you can quickly get in or out of your car without getting wet.
The one-handed operation makes the McConnor efficient and elegant. The slim and lightweight design means that the umbrella can easily fit in your purse or backpack.
The umbrella also has an ergonomic rubber handle that is designed for a good non-slip grip, especially for those windy days. An elastic strap is also included on the handle to make sure this does not happen.
Other Best Selling Options
- AUTOMATIC, COMPACT, AND LIGHTWEIGHT - Auto open close function allows for easy one-handed operation. Measuring just 11.5" long and weighing less than 1lb the folding handheld umbrella is extremely packable in purses, briefcases, backpacks, luggage and more.
- WIND-DEFYING, DOUBLE VENTED, 9-RIB CANOPY - Most small or mini umbrellas are made of 6 or 8 aluminum ribs but Repel is fortified with 9 resin-reinforced fiberglass ribs and a vented double canopy that flex slightly to withstand powerful gusts without turning inside out.
- SUPERIOR REPELLENCY - Waterproof, weatherproof and instantly dry, the foldable and durable Repel Travel Umbrella defends against the elements like nothing else.
- QUALITY WORKMANSHIP - Designed with a three-fold chrome plated black metal shaft, and strong metal frame to allow for greater stability in high winds. The ergonomic, slip-proof, and rubberized grip handle with wrist strap allow for easy carrying. A protective travel sleeve is included. Perfect for men, women, teens and kids.
- WORLD RENOWNED AND CRITIQUED - Featured on Good Morning America, Rated by Wire Cutter as the Best Umbrella in 2019.
- 【ULTRA MINI & COMPACT TRAVEL UMBRELLA】- This compact umbrella is only 11 oz weight , 8.5 inch length yet open to form a large 38"(not 34") canopy, fitting perfectly in your makeup bag,briefcase,suitcase or kids backpack. It is also ideal gift for parents, friends, colleagues, lovers.
- 【UPGRADED SMALL AUTOMATIC UMBRELLA】- Unlike other mini manual umbrellas are so difficult to open/closed as the reviews customer left,this Goothdurs folding umbrella is auto open/close.You don't have to struggle with the closing your umbrella when getting into a car,building or tent.It needs just less than one second to open and close the umbrella with the auto button.
- 【UPGRADE STURDY & WINDPROOF UMBRELLA CONSTRUCTION】- Unlike other mini umbrellas made of 6 ribs,our compact mini umbrella is made of 8 ribs.And the shaft is designed thicker than other ordinary 6 or 8 ribs umbrellas.So,this compact travel umbrella can withstand the normal heavy wind/rain and make sure that it won't easily to flip out inside easily.
- 【SUPERIOR WATERPROOF】- The cannopy is made of high density 210T Teflon material which makes it good at waterproof function.Waterproof,weatherproof and instantly dry,the foldable and durable Travel Umbrella defends against the elements like nothing else.
- If there is any problem, just contact with us, we will handle with it immediately.
- 🌂Lightweight & Compact - Weight: 7oz, Length:6.9in. Mini design allows this umbrella to fit perfectly in your pockets and bags
- 🌂Upgrade Button Design - Easy to open and close by pressing the button without much strength needed
- 🌂An Ideal Gift - Perfect gift for Men, Women, students , parents, friends, colleagues and lovers
- 🌂Sturdy & Quality -Made of 6 ribs fiberglass and steel shaft aluminum alloy come with a metal shaft. They effectively withstand the strong wind without breaking
- 🌂Guarantee - A full refund or replacement warranty for Lifetime and lifetime technique support (This is only for YUI Galleria products, because other seller's products in this listing will not be as described on the website and maybe a trap)
Things You Must Know Before Buying a Compact Umbrella
When purchasing a travel umbrella, you will want to make sure that it can protect you from weather elements and is also durable. Here are some pointers on what to look for in a good compact umbrella.
Umbrellas primary purpose is to protect you from rain, but other factors such as wind and sunlight might affect their performance as well. Here are a few elements you should pay particular attention to when buying one.
One important factor to consider when sheltering from the rain is the size of the canopy, and a large-sized canopy will serve you best.
Picking one from the store, however, is easier said than done. There is usually a trade off between the compactness and the size of a canopy. A more compact umbrella will not typically have a big canopy.
While the benefits of a large canopy are easy to see, small canopy umbrellas are fine for light rainfall. These can also be great for kids due to their lightweight design.
A deep and rounded shaped canopy will protect you better from the wind. Some unique designs like the double-canopy designs also perform well and are easily maneuverable in high winds. If winds are a major concern, some models have deep canopies that can be pulled down over your head and shoulders.
An overhead canopy will not only protect you from the rain, but also protect you from the sun. A large canopy means you will get a larger shade.
If you plan to use an umbrella for shade on a hike you will want to use a lightweight and compact style.
Another factor to consider on sun protection is the color of the canopy. A black color canopy or one with dark patterns will absorb more heat and radiate it underneath the canopy. A clear canopy, on the other hand, offers no sunlight protection whatsoever.
The strength of the shaft and stretchers play a big part in the performance as well as the longevity of an umbrella.
Shafts and Stretchers
Most products we have tested were made out of wood, acrylic, steel, or aluminum.
While a compact sized umbrella offers its advantages, their durability suffers more than non-compact styles.
A shaft made out of a single material will endure abuse more than a segmented shaft. Material such as steel and iron are just as durable as aluminum and fiberglass.
Umbrella canopies come in a range of sizes and are made from a variety of materials. Most are made from nylon or some tightly woven fabric, but you will also find others that are crafted from PVC plastic.
PVC is naturally waterproof, and nylon canopies will have some chemical treatment to make them water resistant as well. Such information is undisclosed on the product tags, as it is not very important.
The canopy fabric will most likely survive all kinds of abuse, and the main features to research should the stretches and shaft.
Portability (Length and Weight)
A compact, lightweight umbrella is useful because it won’t weigh you down during your adventures. Most travel umbrellas are just over one-pound, but there are some light builds that weigh close to half a pound.
Most compact umbrellas measure about 12 inches in length and can easily fit in a purse, carry-on luggage or side pocket of a backpack.
We recommend that you consider the compressed length and weight of a travel umbrella before making a purchase.
The Bottom Line
Whether you are traveling to a new city or are just preparing to go to the office, all these compact umbrellas are solid options.
Compact travel umbrellas tend to have similar features, but the buyer’s guide above will ensure that you are able to distinguish the tiny differences that separate them.
The umbrella you want to purchase will depend on your main travel needs. Just ensure that you take into consideration an umbrella’s portability, durability, and weather protection before picking one.