Camping pillows, as the name suggests, are specifically designed for camping. They’re lighter weight, more compact, made with special materials that are intended for outdoor use, and they’re a lot more durable than a standard bed pillow.
Like all camping products, however, there’s a seemingly endless supply of pillows to choose from. How do you know which one to choose? We’ve taken the liberty of doing the research for you.
After combing through dozens of camping pillows and reading the specs and customer reviews, we’ve narrowed down the options to what we consider to be the best options currently available on the market.
We’ve also included a buyer’s guide, which highlights some of the key features that you should take into consideration before you make a purchase. You’ll also find answers to some of the frequently asked questions consumers, like you, have about camping pillows.
Our Top Picks
Before we dive in and really explore the best camping pillows at length, take a look at the brief overview of our top picks for the best, premium, and budget options.
Best Pick: Therm-a-Rest Compressible Travel Pillow
- Ultralight (7 ounce) compressible travel pillow with soft foam filling that packs down small for road trips, plane travel, camping, and backpacking
- Foam filling expands into a 4-inch thick pillow for head, neck, and back support in tents, cars, planes, and other tough-to-get-comfortable places
- Compact design packs into a backpack, duffle, suitcase, or tote; drawstring and cord lock keeps pillow securely compressed when not in use
- Brushed polyester cover is soft against skin for comfort; lofty urethane fill is an upcycled byproduct of Thermarest mattresses
- Pillow measures 12 x 16 x 4 inches (13 x 4 x 4 inches compressed) and weighs 7 ounces; before use, shake and fluff to restore loft; machine washable; made in the USA
With the Therm-a-Rest Compressible Travel Pillow for Camping, Backpacking, Airplanes, and Road Trips, you’ll be sure to get a restful night of sleep. Available in four different sizes, this pillow is comprised of foam filling, which is wrapped in a soft, yet durable brushed polyester cover, this pillow is well-constructed, supportive, and feels great under the skin.
Premium Pick: Klymit Drift Camping Pillow
- VERSATILE: Pillow easily morphs from travel-friendly use, to a soft, clean sleep surface
- DURABLE COVER: Easy-to-clean, water resistant outer shell
- SOFT: Jersey cotton inner pillow case
- CUSTOMIZED COMFORT: Shredded memory foam strikes the balance between support and comfort
- TRAVEL READY: Packs down small for your next adventure
If you’d like a camping pillow that’s a bit more top-of-the-line, consider this option from Klymit Drift. A water-resistant and washable outer shell encases a soft jersey cotton inner pillow case, which wraps around shredded memory foam, creating a pillow that offers the perfect blend of comfort and support.
Budget Pick: Wellax Ultralight Camping Pillow
- ✅IMPROVED ERGONOMIC DESIGN for ENHANCED COMFORT, EFFICIENCY and DURABILITY: The WellaX inflatable pillow ensures the best neck and head support for back, side and stomach sleepers. It is constructed from strong, durable, water-resistant, elastic TPU fabric. Whether you're backpacking with your family, camping for the weekend, hiking the mountains or you simply need a lumbar support - this is the best air pillow!
- ✅ADJUSTABLE and MULTI-FUNCTION: the most compact and ultralight inflatable camping pillow inflates in seconds to 16 x 12 x 4 inch, which is a proper size for a good sleeping pillow or for a back support and it folds back into a small sack that is only 5 x 2 inches (less than a soda can) and weights only 2.75oz (78g). It can be easily carried in your backpack or pocket for easy access.
- ✅EASY TO INFLATE AND DEFLATE: Simply twist open the top portion of the double-decked air valve and blow air into it, it will only require 3-5 breaths for increased firmness. To deflate, open the bottom of the valve and roll the pillow towards the valve opening. The specially designed Two Way Valve prevent the air leak, so there will be no need of inflating it during night and you will be able to have a good night sleep.
- ✅SLIP-RESISTANT - The back is made of slip resist material that prevents the blow up travel pillow from unwanted sliding. It also comes with a Sleeping Mask, a sleep aid and eye relaxer, made of 100% top-quality silk, super-soft, super-smooth that offers the breathable, cool relaxation of the soothing masks found at the world’s premier spas. Always ensures you have a relaxing good night sleep!
- ✅NO RISK PURCHASE. Making you a happy customer is our main goal. Just try it, and if you don’t absolutely Love it, send us a message and we will Refund or Replace your Purchase, NO QUESTIONS ASKED.
If you don’t want to spend a lot but you still want to be sure that you’ll get the comfort and support you need while you’re sleeping in the Great Outdoors, the Wellax Ultralight Camping Pillow may be the perfect option for you. This pillow is inflatable, which makes it an ideal choice for camping. Just inflate it when you’re ready to catch some Zs and deflate it when it’s time to pack up.
Camping Pillow Reviews
Now that you’ve had a quick look at our top picks for the best, premium, and budget camping pillow, let’s dive in a little deeper and explore each of this options in greater detail. Below, you’ll also find four additional camping pillows that we think are great options, too.
Therm-a-Rest Compressible Travel Pillow for Camping
We chose the Therm-a-Rest Compressible Travel Pillow for Camping as our best pick for a number of reasons; namely, because it’s well-made, smartly designed, comfortable, and affordably priced.
Weighing in at just 12 ounces, this pillow is incredibly lightweight, which makes it perfect for camping or any other type of travel. It’s made high-grade lofty urethane fill that has been upcycled from Thermarest mattresses, so you know it’s comfortable and supportive. The pillow compresses and stays down, thanks to the drawstring cord, which keeps it secure.
When you’re ready to get some sleep, just open up the drawstring cord and the foam filling expands to 4 inches, giving you a plush, yet firm sleeping surface. It’s wrapped in a brushed polyester cover, which feels super soft against the skin, yet is breathable and durable.
This pillow is also available in four different sizes, including small (12 x 16 inches), medium (14 x 18 inches), large (16 x 23 inches), and x-large (16.5 x 27 inches), and there are 12 different colors and patterns to choose from, such as a cranberry print, denim, gray mountains, and a moon print, just to name a few.
To round out the features that make the Therm-a-Rest Compressible Travel Pillow for Camping such a great choice, it’s completely washable, so you’ll always have a fresh, clean pillow to sleep on.
- Stuffing is made of upcycled Thermarest mattress byproduct materials, for exceptional comfort and support
- The brushed polyester cover is soft and breathable, yet durable
- Easy to store, due to the compressible design, which is held securely in place by a drawstring cord
- Expands to 4 inches thick when decompressed
- Available in four different sizes and 12 different patterns and colors
- Both the pillow and the cover are machine washable
- Well priced
- A few users said that it wasn’t as comfortable as they hoped it would be (but remember, comfort is subjective)
- Other said that the color and design they received was different than what they purchased
Klymit Drift Camping Pillow
For our premium pick, we chose the Klymit Drift Camping Pillow, and given the high-end features, it’s easy to see why. Shredded memory foam stuffing is surrounded by a soft jersey cotton pillowcase, which is then wrapped in a durable poly-cotton blend water-resistant and easy to clean outer shell.
All of these elements combined make the Klymit Drift a high-end camping pillow that will surely provide you with the comfort and support that you need while you’re spending time under the stars, traveling, or even just taking a nap at home. Its travel-ready design allows it to pack down to a slim size, making the pillow easy to pack into a backpack, suitcase, or duffle bag.
The soft jersey cotton cover is highly breathable and soft to the tough, and the outer shell is durable and water-resistant, making it the ideal choice for camping. Thanks to the shredded memory foam interior, the pillow adjusts to your contours, providing you with the ideal amount of support through the head and neck, whether you’re sleeping on your back, side, or stomach.
It’s also available in two different sizes, including regular and large, and two different colors: green and orange.
- Filling is made of malleable shredded memory foam for maximum support and comfort
- The jersey cotton pillowcase is soft to the touch and breathable
- A poly-cotton blend outer shell, which is water-resistant and easy to wipe down, provides a protective layer; sleep on top of the shell or remove it for the ultimate comfort
- Packs down to a compact size, making it easy to pack
- Available in two color and two size options
- As far as camping pillows go, the price is a bit on the high side
- Some users said that it was heavy and since it’s difficult to keep it compressed
Wellax Ultralight Camping Pillow
For the best budget camping pillow, we chose the Wellax Ultralight. The price is very budget-friendly, but it doesn’t sacrifice comfort. It’s also uniquely designed in that it’s an inflatable pillow.
When you’re ready to use it, just inflate it using the double-decked air vale (it takes about three breathes to fill it) and when you’re ready to pack it, press down on the valve to release the air. When it’s inflated, the pillow measures 16 x 12 x 4 inches and when it’s deflated, it’s just 5 inches x 2 inches (smaller than the size of a can of soda) and slips back into its convenient storage case.
The improved ergonomic design provides great neck and back support for great comfort and support, whether you sleep on your back, side, or stomach. The back of the Wellax camping pillow features a slip-resistant material, so you won’t have to worry about it slipping or chasing your pillow while you’re sleeping.
It also comes complete with a 100% silk, soft, smooth, comfortable, and breathable sleeping mask. Lastly, this pillow is available in three bold colors: orange, green, blue, and purple, for eye-catching interest.
- Inflatable design makes it easy to pack away
- The enhanced ergonomic design provides superior comfort and support
- Easy to inflate and deflate
- Features a slip-resistant material on the back to prevent the pillow from slipping while you’re sleeping
- Comes with a top-of-the-line, 100% silk sleeping mask
- Easy to wipe down
- Very affordably priced
- Some users said the pillow lost air while they were sleeping
Klymit Pillow X Inflatable Camping and Travel Pillow
Another option from Klymit, this camping pillow is inflatable and features a unique X-shaped design, which is intended for increased comfort and support, as it centers your head in the middle and ensures that it’s perfectly orientated and your neck is properly aligned.
Additionally, the adjustable height and pressure further adds to the comfort this pillow offers; just add air to elevate and increase the pressure and release air to lower it and make it softer.
When deflated and folded down, it measures just 4.5 inches x 2.5 inches x 1 inch (no larger than a lighter) and it weighs less-than two ounces, so you’ll have no trouble packing this pillow away or toting it around. When the pillow is fully inflated, it measures 15 inches x 11 inches x 4 inches, which is the ideal size for a restful night of sleep.
Available in four different colors, including red, blue, gray, and teal, you can choose the color that best suits your taste. The Klymit Pillow X is also backed by a limited lifetime warranty, so you can purchase with confidence.
- Unique self-centering X design keeps your head properly centered and stabilized so that you can enjoy a restful night of sleep
- Inflatable design with customizable firmness and height
- Inflates and deflates in mere seconds
- Folds down to a super compact size
- Easy to wipe down
- Backed by a lifetime limited warranty
- Some users said that it wasn’t as comfortable as they hoped it would be (but again, remember comfort is subjective)
- Others said that it lost air while they were sleeping
Teton Sports Camp PillowThe Teton Sports Camp Pillow was designed with travel in mind. Its small size makes it easy to pack, yet it offers a great deal of comfort and support.
The interior is a lofty poly-fiber fill and the pillow case is made of a brushed poly-flannel blend, so it feels soft to the touch. Measuring just 4 inches by 7 inches by 9 inches, you’ll have no trouble stowing this camping pillow away and weighting just 0.4 kg, you won’t even notice you’re carrying it.
Both the cover and the pillow itself are machine washable, so you’ll always have a nice and clean pillow whenever Mother Nature calls you to spend some time outdoors.
The case also features a woodsy-inspired rustic print: large black and red checked, smaller brown and red checked, small green checkered, and a unique gray and red pattern.
- Compact and lightweight size is perfect for camping
- Soft, yet durable poly-fiber filling
- The case is made of a soft poly-flannel material
- Available in four color/pattern options
- Affordably priced
- Some buyers said that it was “thin and flimsy”, but again, that is a matter of opinion
Wise Owl Outfitters Camping PillowThe camping pillow from Wise Owl Outfitters is inflatable, lightweight, easy to pack and tow, durable, and supportive; all qualities that make for a great camping pillow.
It features an enhanced design that prevents air loss once inflated. The ergonomic design provides the ideal amount of comfort and support for your head and neck and can comfortably accommodate back, side, and stomach sleepers.
It’s water- and slip-resistant, too, which further maximizes comfort. Inflating and deflating the pillow is a breeze; with just a few breathes of air, it will be fully inflated, and when you’re ready to pack up, twist the valve and it will be deflated in seconds.
Measuring 19.5 inched x 12 inches when it’s fully inflated and just 11 inches by 5 inches when deflated, it’s the ideal pillow for camping. It comes with a convenient storage bag and is available in 10 different designs, including orange, green, lime, and a fun “camper” print.
- Inflates and deflates in seconds
- Compact and lightweight size makes packing easy
- Ergonomic design provides ideal comfort and support for all sleeping positions
- Slip- and water-resistant
- Durably constructed
- Available in nine designs
- Affordably priced
- Backed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee
- A few users said that it lost air
Leisure Co Ultra-Portable and Ultralight Camping Pillow
Last on our list of camping pillows, but definitely not the least, is theLeisure Co Ultra-Portable and Ultralight Camping Pillow.
It’s also an inflatable pillow, but it sure doesn’t look or feel like one. That’s because the wide ergonomic design provides excellent neck and lumbar support and it’s covered with a brushed cotton cover that features an extra layer of cushioning.
The pillow inflates in a matter of seconds to its full size, which is 17.5 inches x 10 inches x 3.5 inches. It deflates quickly, too, and is just 3 inches x 3 inches x 5.5 inches, so it’s easy to pack away, and weighing just 5.3 ounces, you won’t even notice you’re carrying it.
- Lightweight, compact design is ideal for traveling
- A two-way valve design inflates and deflates the pillow in seconds
- Ergonomic design provides great neck and lumbar support
- The brushed cotton cover, which features an additional layer of padding, increases the comfort level
- Some users said that they had a hard time trying to figure out how to inflate it
Other Best Selling Options
- ▲SOFT:this redcamp travel pillow camping (shell)flannel+(lining)non woven fabric+(filling)250g hollow fiber, comfortable fabric gives you a restful sleep.
- ▲ULTRALIGHT:the outdoor camping pillow just weight 0.70lbs/320g,you can put in your backpack with a storage bag and you can’t feel this weight from your back.
- ▲EASY TO CLEAN:the backpacking pillow has a pillow+ a pillowslip+a storage bag,so you can remove the pillowslip then clean it and put the pillow under the sun,it is easy making your sleeping bag pillow clean.
- ▲MATCH:this travel lightweight pillow cases match all REDCAMP sleeping bag and back pad.the pillow open size is 20”*12”/50*30cm
- ▲100%MONEY BACK GUARANTEE:REDCAMP off 1 year warranty.if you are unsatisfied,please contact us and we can give you satisfy solution.
- SMALL in SIZE - BIG on COMFORT! This is the most compact & lightweight inflatable camp pillow on the market – folds down to 5x2 inches, smaller than a soda can! Inflates to a comfortable pillow for head or lumbar support. Deflating back down in only seconds. This backpacking pillow can easily be carried in your backpack or pocket for convenient access. Weighing a mere 3.4oz (100g), lighter than a can of soda!
- New in 2.0! NOW MORE DURABLE THAN EVER! Enhanced design with latest highly durable elastic TPU fabric that boasts water resistance. So, whether sleeping under the stars in the mountains, in your boat on the open seas, tenting at your favorite national park or staying at a hotel on holiday—your Aluft comfort travel pillow is the perfect travel companion.
- New in 2.0! SLEEP WITHOUT WORRY with OUR PROPITIATORY DOT and LATCH DESIGN - No more slipping off your pillow in the middle of the night! The new Aluft 2.0 pillow back contain rubber anti-slipping dots to increase frictions between your pillow and the sleeping mat. A latch strap pairs well with air inflatable sleeping pads canfurther prevent your pillow from moving around while you sleep. All these features are designed with your ultimate comfort in mind!
- New in 2.0! NEWLY STYLISH DESIGNED with YOUR ULTIMATE COMFORT in MIND - Improved Ergonomic Design with Enhanced neck support for a restful night’s sleep! The Aluft 2.0 Comfort Air Pillow is ideal for back, side and stomach sleepers alike. Inflates to a generous 16 x 12 x 4 inches, in a mere 3-5 breaths (approx.). Ergonomically designed for superior neck and back support while you travel—sleep like at home. The only thing left to decide is where to go.
- EASE OF USE! With the simple click of a button, Inflate pillow by mouth with approximately 3-5 breaths. Once you are done you can conveniently deflate the pillow with the Quick Deflate feature which rapidly releases air after use in only seconds. With the unique technology in this compact and light pillow, you are able to adjust firmness to your personal sleep preference. You can Rest easy with our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee!
- START SLEEPING IN COMFORT! Our packable camping & travel pillow has memory foam like cushioned support with a soft micro-suede cover giving you a truly supportive rest that you and your head will be thankful for. Resting while traveling has never been more comfortable. With our 5-inch-thick pillow you’ll get a great night sleep!
- COMPACT WITH CONVENIENT BAG FOR EASY PACKING! Designed with a drawstring closure to keep your size small pillow compressed down into a 9” x 6” stuff sack, 10 ½” x 6” in the medium size & 12" x 7" in the large size fitting easily into a backpack suitcase briefcase or tote. Machine washable and dryer friendly for easy clean up as well!
- LIGHTWEIGHT PORTABLE PILLOW IN THREE SIZES! The small size expands to 12 x 16 (9 oz.), the medium 14 x 18 (11 oz.) and the large 16 x 23 (13 oz). Great for adults, kids and even a toddler!
- FIND THE PERFECT MATCH FOR YOUR CAMPING GEAR! We offer 5 bold colors for you to choose from!
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - If for ANY reason you do not love your pillow let us know and our USA based customer care team will take care of you no questions asked!
- SMALL PILLOW THAT’S BIG ON COMFORT: Extra soft travel pillow is the perfect support when it’s time to relax; Just right for camping, backpacking and road tripping
- WASHABLE: Designed to be taken anywhere; This travel pillow and pillowcase can be washed together or separately
- NO INFLATING NECESSARY: Pillow lofts up on its own; Whether you’re sleeping under the stars, driving cross-country or on an airplane, you’ll rest easy
- MATCHING CAMPING GEAR: Each pillow matches the lining of one or more TETON Sports Sleeping Bags and packs down tight
- TETON SPORTS PROMISE: Reach out to our AMAZING product support team if you have any questions or concerns; YOU CAN COUNT ON US to get you taken care of and back OUTDOORS with TETON Sports
- SMALL in SIZE - BIG on COMFORT! This is the most compact & lightweight inflatable camp pillow on the market – folds down to 5x2 inches, smaller than a soda can! Inflates to a comfortable pillow for head or lumbar support. Deflating back down in only seconds. This backpacking pillow can easily be carried in your backpack or pocket for convenient access. Weighing a mere 2.75oz (78g), lighter than a can of soda! This is the only travel pillow you will ever need period!
- NEWLY DESIGNED with YOUR ULTIMATE COMFORT in MIND - Improved Ergonomic Design with Enhanced neck support for a restful night’s sleep! The Dreamer Comfort Air Pillow is ideal for back, side and stomach sleepers alike. Inflates to a generous 16 x 12 x 4 inches, in a mere 3-5 breaths (approx.). Ergonomically designed for superior neck and back support while you travel—sleep like at home. The only thing left to decide is where to go. You can Rest easy with our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee!
- NOW MORE DURABLE THAN EVER! Enhanced design with added layers for head support that is constructed from highly durable elastic TPU fabric that boasts water resistance. So, whether sleeping under the stars in the mountains, in your boat on the open seas, tenting at your favorite national park or staying at a hotel on holiday—your Dreamer comfort travel pillow is the perfect travel companion.
- EASE OF USE! With the simple click of a button, Inflate pillow by mouth with approximately 3-5 breaths. Once you are done you can conveniently deflate the pillow with the Quick Deflate feature which rapidly releases air after use in only seconds. With the unique technology in this compact and light pillow, you are able to adjust firmness to your personal sleep preference.
- SLEEP WITHOUT WORRY with OUR PRIORITORY SLIP-RESISTANT DESIGN - No more slipping off your pillow in the middle of the night! The Dreamer Comfort pillow back is made up of a slip resistant material to prevent your head from moving around while you sleep. Always ensures you have a good night rest! Pairs well with air inflatable sleeping pads.
Camping Pillows Buyer’s Guide
After browsing through our list of the best camping pillows, you can see that there are several different types and designs to choose from. While choice is definitely great, it too much choice can make it hard to figure out exactly what you should purchase for your specific needs.
While the best camping pillow will certainly vary from person to person, there are some key factors that you can take into consideration that will help you select the right one for you.
There are two main types of camping pillows: inflatable and filled. As indicated by the name, the former has to be inflated and deflated, while the latter is filled with some type of material, like a standard bed pillow. Inflatable camping pillows are smaller, lighter weight, and more compact, which makes them easy to transport.
Filled camping pillows can vary in size, but they’re usually about the same size is an inflatable pillow when it’s blown up, and since they’re filled with stuffing, typically, they’re heavier.
The right design for you depends on your end use; for example, if you are planning on hiking, weight matters, so an inflatable camping pillow would be a good option, but if you’re reaching your campsite by car, then the added weight of a filled pillow won’t make much of a difference.
Whether you’ve decided on an inflatable or a filled camping pillow, durability is important, and the materials that these pillows are constructed of determine durability. If you’re looking for an inflatable camping pillow, durability is absolutely essential, as you don’t want it to deflate while you’re sleeping.
You’ll also a good idea to look for a camping pillow that offers some sort of water-resistance and is machine washable so that you can keep it fresh and clean. Of course, you’ll also want the materials to be comfortable. Some come with pillow cases. If the one you’re looking at does, make sure to choose a case that’s made out of soft, breathable fabric.
If you’re interested in a filled camping pillow, you’ll also need to consider the stuffing. Options include foam, polyester, and even down or an alternative down material.
Of course, you want your camping pillow to be as comfortable as possible; it isn’t going to do you much good if it isn’t comfortable. The best camping pillows are ergonomically designed and provide head and neck support while sleeping on the stomach, back, or side.
Camping pillows can range in price from under $20 to upwards of $40 or more. Typically, inflatable pillows are less costly than filled pillows, as are pillows that are made of higher-end materials and boast more features. Make sure you consider your budget before you start shopping so that you can avoid over-spending your budget.
Camping Pillow FAQs
If you’ve never purchased a camping pillow, it’s likely that you have a few questions before you start shopping. Here, we provide answers to some of the most frequently asked questions shoppers have about camping pillows.
Why should you use a camping pillow anyway?
Unless you like the idea of sleeping with your head directly on the ground or you don’t mind using your bed pillow and getting it dirty and filled with campfire smoke, then you’re definitely going to want to use a camping pillow.
Plus, a camping pillow is a lot more portable and easier to pack than a traditional pillow. With this type of pillow, you can be sure that you’ll have the comfort and support you need while you’re spending the night outdoors, yet won’t have to deal with lugging around a bulky pillow or getting your bed pillow dirty or smelly.
Are camping and travel pillows the same?
While camping pillows can be used as travel pillows, travel pillows should not be used as camping pillows. Both are lightweight and compact, which makes them easier to transport; key features that are needed for both camping and for any other type of travel. However, camping pillows are made of materials that are meant to make them more durable for outdoor use; travel pillows do not.
Can a camping pillow be washed?
Camping pillows do need to be washed, but the manner in which they can be washed varies. Some camping pillows are machine washable, while others have to be wiped down.
When it comes to cleaning your camping pillow, make sure you read the instructions that it comes with and if you aren’t sure, ask. For example, cotton and polyester fabrics can be machine washed, while inflatable pillows need to be wiped down with soapy water or gentle cleaning agents.
Does support really matter?
Absolutely! If you want a camping pillow to serve its purpose, then you’re going to want to purchase a pillow that is supportive and comfortable. If it doesn’t meet these qualities, then you’ll end up waking up with a stiff neck and a sore back.
Spending time in the Great Outdoors is a lot of fun, but waking up with a stiff neck and a sore back will quickly turn your fun into misery. By purchasing a camping pillow, you’ll have the comfort and support that you need, whether you’re sleeping in a sleeping bag or on an inflatable mattress, so that you can have a restful night of sleep and enjoy your camping excursion to the fullest.