If you are looking for the best camping lantern, then you are in the right place. A well-lit lantern will be one of the must-have things to have on hand whenever you decide to spend a weekend camping. You’d be crazy to go camping without one.
If you are looking for a lantern that will last you a long time and will be useful while you are camping, we have seven different options available that we’ll be looking over shortly. We also have a list of top three picks in case you are in a hurry and may not have time to read through the review. The three picks are the best overall, best premium, and best budget picks.
Otherwise, let’s get through the list of the best camping lanterns that are currently on the market. Be sure to make note of any interesting features as well as their pros and cons. Let’s go over the top three picks and then reveal the list itself
Top 3 Picks
Best Pick: Vont 4-Pack LED Camping Lanterns
- SUPER BRIGHT & LONG LASTING ––– Equipped with 30 crazy bright LEDs, this compact lantern cuts through 360 degrees of darkness on the stormiest, dimmest nights. Easily lights up the entire tent or room. Battery life lasts over 90 hours - that is TWICE longer than competitors.
- COMPACT & LIGHTWEIGHT ––– Unique, patented collapsible design that reduces or increases the light as you collapse or expand the lantern. When collapsed it's as small as your phone. Easily fits in your backpack or emergency kit. Our lanterns are a life-saver in unpredictable situations like hurricanes or a zombie apocalypse.
- WATERPROOF & INDESTRUCTIBLE ––– Constructed with aircraft grade materials: your lantern is able to survive a 10-foot drop, being temporarily submerged under water and even caffeinated toddlers.
- ORIGINAL PATENTED VERSION ––– We are the original patent holders for this lantern. We hand-craft each lantern with the strict quality control to give you the best product you deserve. Don't equip yourself with inferior lanterns.
- LIFETIME WARRANTY ––– You’ll be pleasantly surprised at the brightness, quality, durability, longevity and performance or we will refund your money no questions asked. Lifetime warranty & support provided by Vont. CE/ROHs/EMC certified.
With four lanterns on hand, these will be perfect for you and the people you go camping with. It’s bright, durable, and has a battery life that is triple the average of its competitors. How can you say no to that?
Premium Pick: LE LED Lantern
- 【 Convenient to use】 This portable camping lantern comes with two hooks, one on the top and the other at the base that can hang the tent light upside down to get better light when lighting up a big area.
- 【Waterproof and Enough Brightness】 IPX4 protection grade, making it quite suitable for camping, hiking, fishing, walking the dog, etc. And the 1000 Lumens brightness and 360 degree lighting provides you the sufficient brightness.
- 【Long Last Time】 Using 1.5V 3 x D batteries (NOT included) as power supply, enables it can be used up to 12-25 hours, which last longer than most of the camp lamp in the market. Energy saving and suitable for power outage, emergency usage, hurricane and earthquake survival kit, etc.
- 【4 Light Modes and Dimmable】 Simply Short Press the switch of the tent light to adjust from 700lm (cool white), 300lm (warm white), 1000lm (cool white) to 1000lm (flash mode), While long press it can adjust the brightness to meet your need.
- 【Two-Year Warranty】 We are so confident you will love LE camping lantern that we offer money back guaranty and after sales support with two years warranty.
At 1000 lumens, this lantern is perhaps one of the brightest of the bunch. Plus, it has four different light options and a dimmable switch. This has some features that no other lantern on the list has.
Runner Up Pick: Monomax LED Camping Lantern
- 【Super Bright and Well made】 This LED camping lantern's output can reach 15W max extremely bright by using 4*D batteries (included), it is very easy to use by simple switch function. Our camping light use new ABS plastic well built to make it durable working time.
- 【4 Light Modes and Dimmable】 Simply Press the switch of the tent light to adjust from High-1500lm, Med-900lm, Low-500lm to Nite-90lm, While long press it can adjust the brightness to meet your need.
- 【Long Last Time】 The LED camping light using 1.5V 4pcs D batteries (included) as power supply, enables it can be used up to 1.5-72 hours, which last longer than most of the camp lamp in the market. Energy saving and suitable for power outage, emergency usage, hurricane and earthquake survival kit, etc.
- 【Waterproof and Enough Brightness】 IPX4 waterproof, making it especially suitable for camping, hiking, fishing, repair, etc. By using New COB technical to get 1500 Lumens brightness and 360 degree lighting provides you the enough brightness.
- 【Convenient to use】 Our portable camping lantern comes with two hooks, one on the top and the other at the base that can hang the tent lantern upside down to get better light when lighting up a big area.
While it has good durability and bright, 360 coverage this lantern is one of the more affordable options on the market. It’s small in size, but very easy to take with you for EDC or camping purposes.
Top 7 Camping Lantern Reviews
Vont 4 Pack LED Camping Lanterns
First, we’ll be taking a look at the Vont 4 Pack LED Camping Lantern. Rather than have one lantern at your disposal, you’ll have four of them handy. Each of them is very bright with 30 LED lights that last longer than most lanterns.
Plus, they have a battery life of nearly 90 hours. If you look at it compared to other lantern batteries, that’s actually a long time. Considering that you’ll be using these at night, the use won’t be as frequent since you’ll be mostly turning them on for a bit and shutting them off soon after.
With four lanterns on hand, this is perfect for when you want to bring friends or family with you for a weekend of camping. In fact, these lanterns are quite useful not just for the purpose of lighting. These can be used for emergency situations as well.
The lanterns are made with aircraft-grade aluminum, the strongest kind of aluminum in the business. So if durability is one of those attributes you look for in a lantern, make no mistake about it. These will last you a long period of time.
Not only that, but they also are waterproof and can sustain a 10-foot drop. That ain’t a bad thing for lanterns like these. If you are looking for lanterns for yourself or for those camping with you, the Vont 4-Pack LED Camping Lanterns will definitely be a great choice.
- Indestructible. Can last you a long time in terms of durability
- Battery lifespan is fairly decent
- Very bright lights
- Useful for camping and survival situations
- No dimmable option
LE LED Camping Lantern
Up next is the LE LED Camping Lantern. You can get this as an individual lantern or as a two-pack (one for you and one for the other member of your camping party). No matter how many you use, you’ll get a good number of benefits out of a lantern like this.
The light brightness is pretty solid, so if you are looking for something that will help you get through obstacles through complete darkness, this is the lantern that you’ll need. At 1000 lumens, it’s by far the brightest on the list. Thus, it’s a great lantern for camping and survival situations when you need it the most.
If you are looking for a lantern that will give you dimmability and four different lighting modes, then this could be a good choice for you. At this point, there have been no other lanterns that had this feature. So if the light is too bright, you can just adjust it to a level of brightness you might find comfortable.
It’s not a bad lantern to have on hand for camping or just in case things go wrong like a power outage. On the bright side (no pun intended), you have a light that is bright, reliable, and will literally light up a room when you need it most.
- Super bright light
- Easy to dim to a lower level
- You can switch to different light settings
- Great for camping and survival use
- Lightweight and portable
- Battery installation may be a challenge
Monomax LED Camping Lantern
Finally, we’ll be taking a look at the Monomax LED Camping Lantern. If you are looking for a a great lantern that is well-built and well-lit, this could be what you need.
It can even resist water splashing as well. This has the ability to last you quite a while if you are looking for durability and reliability in one lantern. It’s tough and definitely worth the money if you want something with excellent quality.
The light is bright enough to light a small room. With its 360 degrees of design, the light will give you plenty of coverage. That’s definitely a plus if you want something that is miles better than those old school lanterns.
The lantern is easy to operate and will be useful for all kinds of survival situations and even your usual camping trip. Also, the battery life will run anywhere between 30 to 35 hours. That’s pretty good considering you might only use it a few times during your camping trip.
- Super Bright at 1500 Lumens
- 360 degree light
- Runs through batteries fast
Amacool Portable Battery Camping Fan with LED Lantern
Imagine a fan/lantern hybrid. Sounds crazy, right? Well guess what…it exists!
The Amacool Portable Battery Camping Fan with LED lantern is perhaps the coolest camping lantern out there. Not only does it have a fan to keep you cool on those hot days and nights, but it also has an LED lantern that’s equipped with it.
Talk about the ultimate camping tool. This comes with a sturdy hook that you can hold with your hand or hang it somewhere in your tent or camper. If you think this is one of those fans that don’t do anything else but keep you cool, you ain’t seen nothing yet.
You can use this to keep the mosquitos and other insects at bay. That’s right, you can use diffusers or bug repellent to ensure that those biting bugs like mosquitos, black flies, and everything in between stay away from your tent or camper. If there is one annoyance that you would want to get rid of during camping, it’s those darn bugs.
This comes with a battery that will last you 40 hours. Plus, you have a rechargeable power option. It furthers the added convenience that this lantern already has. You can charge it with a USB cord and use your vehicle’s phone charger as a plugin.
Simply put, this is the kind of camping tool that you’d be silly not to own. With 360 degrees of manual rotation, a bright LED light to help you navigate through obstacles safely, and so much more this is no ordinary lantern. This is the future of camping equipment that has finally made its mark among outdoor enthusiasts everywhere.
- Perfect for almost any outdoor situation
- Great for keeping you cool or keeping the bugs away
- Very sturdy hanging hook for tents and campers
- Can be recharged fairly quickly
- Bright LED light that can last a long time
- May not be suitable for long continuous use (i.e. — 8 consecutive hours)
EZORKAS 2-Pack Camping Lanterns
Up next is the Ezorkas 2-Pack Camping Lanterns. If you want one lantern for yourself and these other for a friend or family member, this would be a good choice. These also are one of your best options if you are looking for something on a budget.
Simply put, these lanterns will give you plenty of brightness. You can be able to navigate through the obstacles and the woods no problem even when there is a lack of sunlight. You get 360 degrees of light in one small package.
Not bad, right? But this is where things get better. These are also easy to recharge.
Sure, pack the extra batteries as part of your camping bag if you need to. But the odds of them being used for these lanterns are slim to none. All you need is a USB cord and a charger (like your phone charger) and you can charge these fairly quickly. After all, isn’t that what we rely on for everything these days when it comes to batteries?
The structure of these lanterns is pretty sturdy. They are well-built, can survive impact, and will definitely come in handy for a long time. If you want durability and reliability in not one, but two lanterns these are exactly what you want on hand during camping trips or survival situations.
- Great for yourself and a camping friend
- Excellent brightness
- Easily rechargeable
- Lightweight and easily portable
- Water-resistant and impact-resistant to an extent
- No battery level indicator
Odoland Portable LED Camping Lantern
Now, we’ll look at the Odoland Portable LED Camping Lantern. Another lantern/fan hybrid on the market. If you are looking for a great lantern to help you keep your immediate vicinity visible while staying cool, this could be the lantern you need. At two different speeds, you can keep cool or keep the bugs out of your tent or camper.
The fan will run as normal but will not make too much of a sound. It’s ideal for nighttime use whenever you need to fall asleep and can’t do so with a lot of noise. Not bad for a camping fan that doubles as a lantern.
The lights are battery-operated and can run on 37 hours total on one set of D batteries. Plus, the fan can run for 5 hours straight on high. Compare that to other battery-operated fans, it won’t even last that long as that speed.
On the slower fan speeds, obviously it will last longer (with the low speed lasting at least 15 hours in consistent running). For a fan that can go the distance, you can definitely rely on something like this no matter what the purpose. If you are looking for a great fan that will be a useful tool come the summer months and you’re out camping, this will definitely be a worthy addition to your camping tools and gear.
- Really bright light
- Fan can last a long time on a consistent speed
- Great for two-person tents and small campers
- Keeps you cool on a regular basis
- Perfect for keeping the bugs away including mosquitos
- Drains batteries fairly quickly
Etekcity Lantern LED Camping Lantern
Now, we’ll be taking a look at the Etekcity Lantern LED Camping Lantern. This is another kind of lantern that comes with not one, not two, not three, but four lanterns in total. Why not get lanterns for yourself and the people who go camping with you?
These lanterns are easily deployable and very durable. If you are looking for a lantern that will last you a long time, this could be exactly what you’re looking for. Plus, the body of the lantern is made from military-grade aluminum (which is pretty durable compared to other types).
It can handle a good degree of impact, so don’t worry about these lanterns instantly breaking if they somehow hit a hard surface. If you are looking for what might be a very durable lantern, then you can consider the Etekcity Lantern LED Camping Lanterns as your best choice.
- Nearly indestructible
- Bright lights for low-light navigation
- Easily portable
- Great for various situations
- May be too bright for some
Other Best Selling Options
- ULTRA BRIGHT: Includes 30 individual low consumption LED bulbs carrying 360° of luminous light while saving energy.
- LONG-LASTING: Light up at least to 30 hours of regular, continuous use with enough battery capacity (batteries pre-installed in the lantern).
- EASY TO OPERATE: Easily expand or collapse the lantern to turn on or off the lantern，and to adjust the light you want.
- TACTICAL STORAGE: The top lid of the lantern contains a small room for storing some small things like some change, yours keys, some spare batteries, etc.
- DURABLE MATERIALS: Constructed with military grade ABS material，promising long-time durability; FCC Certified, RoHS Compliant. Some accidental slight collisions or water splashing are acceptable.
- ULTRA BRIGHT! 360 Degree 146 Lumen LED Camping Lanterns - Highest Quality CE & ROHS Approved Military Grade ABS Material is the Best Camping Lantern Accessories Flashlight Survival Gear & Camping Equipment Gift Set built to last. DESIGNED FOR YOU - collapses into small bundle for easy control and storage - Excellent for outdoor furniture [AA Batteries Sold Separately]
- PREMIUM PACK OF 4! The MalloMe LED Lantern Lights Set includes four Colors: Black, Blue, Green and Gold
- PERFECT CAMPING GIFTS for MEN, FAMILY and FRIENDS: Outdoor Backpacking Gear & Camping Backpack and Hiking LED Lantern Set for anyone looking for a high quality, great value product for the camping world to enjoy with the people you love!
- The Full Camping Gear Camping Equipment Lantern Bundle and with a 30 day no questions asked return policy
- ★COMPACT & LONG LIGHTING -- Palm-sized(5.7 X 2.1 inch) portable led tent light, takes up very little room, easy to carry and grip for kids. Powered by 3 x AAA alkaline batteries (Not Included), lighting time up to 10-15 hours in high-light mode, avoid frequent battery changes, protable led camping lantern for outdoor adventure aficionados.
- ★150 LUMENS OFFERS MAXIMUM BRIGHTNESS -- Each battery operated camping lights built-in 3 LED tent lamps beads, camp night light easily illuminate the whole campsite, super bright protable LED camping light whatever you do like long talks, playing games, reading or walks at night. Four colors mark different teams. Bring millions of practical uses!
- ★3 LIGHT MODES SUPPORT MULTI-APPLICATION --The LED tent light bulbs comes with 3 light modes: HIGH / LOW / Strobe. Use protable LED lantern to illuminate a large area, as emergency lights, or create a flashing party atmosphere. Perfect camping gear fits different needs.
- ★DURABLE & WATER-RESISTANT --IPX8 water-resistant & crafted from super-durable ABS plastic. With anti falling carabiner stroller hook design, camp lanterns can be fasten to tree, the stable, rope, backpack or tent, free worry about dropping and free your hands. Great for emergency hurricane, support all activities such as camping, hiking, hunting, fishing, sos lights and etc.
- ★ONE LIGHT, ENDLESS USES! --Our camp tent lights also used as decorative indoor lights, night lights, battery operated lights, as a useful handy aid while you’re working, studying, or reading a book just before you go to sleep! Perfect gift for the people you love.
- ✅ [ENERGIZER POWER]: Energizer LED Emergency Lantern works with 3 Energizer MAX D batteries for maximum power, or 3 Energizer MAX AA batteries for lower power (batteries not included).
- ✅ [SUPER BRIGHT LED TECHNOLOGY]: This camping light Puts out up to 500 lumens* in high mode, delivering bright, brilliant visibility for a variety of tasks, from nighttime camping, to blackouts during storms, or work around the house.
- ✅ [VERSATILE MODES]: Switches between 3 light mode settings: high, low, and night light with the click of a glow-in-the-dark button.
- ✅ [LONG-LASTING RUN TIME]: Runs up to 650 hours in low mode for a portable, handheld light that lasts.
- ✅ [WATER RESISTANT & RUGGED]: Durable and rugged, the water-resistant construction withstands splashing.
- SUPER BRIGHT: Our COB LED lanterns are far brighter than regular LED lanterns. They easily light up a room, tent or garage.
- ENERGY-EFFICIENT: Last 20+ hours with AA batteries (depending on type and brand of batteries). Extremely useful in power outage and emergency situations.
- COLLAPSIBLE & LIGHTWEIGHT: Simply pull out lid to turn on the light. They are small in size and can be easily fit in your backpack or survival kit.
- DURABLE & WEATHERPROOF: Made with extra strong material to ensure the durability under any emergency situations.
- FREE GIFTS: A heavy-duty carabiner, a carry bag and 6 AA batteries are included ($10 value).
Camping Lanterns Buyer’s Guide
If you are finding it difficult to choose between the options above, this Buyer’s Guide will help you make a choice based on a few aspects. We’ll be taking a look at things to consider, the pros and cons of camping lanterns, and frequently asked questions from potential buyers.
Let’s begin with the considerations:
The first thing that people look for in an item is the price. It’s almost as if it’s second nature. Of course, it might be the first thing you look for if you are on a budget.
If you are on a budget, price should be a secondary factor. Choose a lantern that has the best performance and quality that fits your budget. Also, refrain from sacrificing quality as a way to save money. These lanterns won’t last long since the quality is usually subpar.
Lanterns like these come in different lumens. The higher the lumens, the brighter the light. Find a lantern that you believe will be bright enough for you to navigate through a room during a power outage or while you’re out in the woods at night outside your tent or camper.
A lantern will eventually be used in even the direst of situations. A bright 1000 lumen light can be seen as far away as a half-mile. The brighter the light, the more visible it can be seen from far away.
That’s why it should be essential to pack a flashlight and a lantern in case you find yourself in a situation like being lost in the woods or stranded on the side of the road.
Considering that you’ll be on rough terrain most of the time, a lantern with enough durability to sustain repeated amounts of impact and water exposure is a must. Most of the lanterns are made with high-quality types of aluminum.
The tougher, the better. Plus, the more durable means it has the ability to last you a long time as well.
Batteries or rechargeable?
Most lanterns will require batteries and others can be charged using a USB. It’s up to you to consider which will be the best option for you. If you opt for anything that operates regular batteries, you may need to consider packing extra batteries with you in your camping bag or EDC kit. A USB compatible lantern will require nothing more than a USB cord and a USB charger (like the ones you use for charging your phone).
Pros & Cons
Yes, camping lanterns have come a long way in decades. But they still have their own pros and cons that you need to know about. Here’s what they are, starting first with the pros:
- No need for gas: Gone are the days of using gas lanterns. Not to mention, you are less likely to risk any kind of fire hazard. Plus, waking up to gas fumes is not pleasant either. Simply put, lanterns are much safer to use now than ever before with the elimination of gas.
- More light: With the presence of LEDs, the lights have become brighter. On top of that, LEDs can also last much longer compared to incandescent bulbs. LEDs may last years compared to their old school counterparts. Plus, they’ll fade out over time rather than suddenly “burn out”.
- Easy to recharge: To take it one step further, most of the lanterns can be charged with a simple USB cord. Thus, the use of batteries may not be needed unless they are necessary. All you need is a USB charger like you would your phone. Plus, these lanterns can be charged for as little as an hour (and no more than that).
- Great for survival situations: In survival situations, you’ll need to find a way to alert someone who may be within your general vicinity. These lanterns (like flashlights) are so bright that they can be visible from a distance. If a 1,000 lumen light is very bright, it should have no trouble with visibility if seen by someone from a half-mile away.
- Easy to pack: Lanterns are now so small in size that they can also be easy to pack in a camping bag or an EDC kit. Depending on the design, some lanterns can even be retractable so they can fit in tiny spaces.
- May drain batteries fast: If you are using a battery-operated lantern, the battery life may not be as long as some expect. Sure, it might be suitable for just the simple “on and off” use. But as far as continuous use is concerned, the longevity of the batteries might be a tad shorter.
- Some may not be waterproof or water-resistant: One of the things to keep an eye out for is a lantern that is waterproof or water-resistant to an extent. Some of the camping lanterns won’t have that ability at all.
- The need for extra batteries: As mentioned before, continuous use where the light stays on may drain the battery faster. In this instance, you’re going to need to pack extra batteries since you’ll be more than likely to change them out.
Camping Lanterns FAQs
The following is a list of frequently asked questions from potential buyers. Use this as a guide to help you get an understanding of camping lanterns and how they work. Here are the following questions:
How many lumens do I need for a camping lantern?
On the low end, 40 lumens might be the minimum amount that you need. However, you can also find a lantern that ranges from 100 lumens to even 1000 lumens. Consider how many lumens are considered “too bright” before choosing.
How long do LEDs in a lantern last?
LEDs have quite a long lifespan. On average, the LED lights can last anywhere between 30,000 to 50,000 hours.
How far can a 1000 lumen light be seen?
Assuming there are no obstructions, a 1000 lumen light can be visible up to a half-mile away.
Can you have a lantern in your vehicle?
If you need a flashlight or a lantern in your vehicle in case of being stranded, you can carry a lantern as part of an EDC tool. These will be perfect on days when you are stranded on the side of the road during inclement weather.