Whether to enjoy more relaxation while you’re tent camping or you are interested in ditching the tent all together and want to take your outdoor experience to the next level, you might be thinking about investing in a camping hammock.
There really is nothing more peaceful than lounging in a hammock and taking in the beautiful views Mother Nature offers. Just picture yourself floating above the ground and swaying back and forth while overlooking a pristine lake or a picturesque forest (you’re probably feeling more Zen-like just thinking about it).
Hang it up off the trail or at a campsite, or make the bold move and give hammock camping a try. You can even set your hammock up in your backyard or in your bedroom! However you use it, lounging in a hammock is the ultimate in relaxation.
Like most camping products, there are dozens of hammocks to choose from. To make the process of selecting the perfect camping hammock a bit easier, we’ve done the research for you.
After assessing dozens of options and reading through countless reviews, we have compiled a list of the best camping hammocks currently available on the market.
We’ve also provided a buyer’s guide that highlights some key factors that should be taken into consideration when you’re shopping and included answers to some of the most frequently asked questions consumers have about camping hammocks.
Top 3 Camping Hammocks
Before you dive in, take a look at our top three picks for the best, premium, and budget camping hammocks.
Best Pick: Covacure Double Camping Hammock
- Durable & Reliable- Made from high quality 210T parachute nylon materials which is tear-resistant,breathable and quick-drying.Triple-Stitching and ultra-strong nylon straps provide reliable support to reduce pressure points.
- Upgrade Hammock- Hammock net made from special designed durable net,2 times density than similar products on the market. Remove the string and turn hammock over when you don't need net.Storage bag can be used for storing small items.
- Dimensions & Weight- Our Camping Hammock Unfolded Size: 94.5x47.2 inch, which can carry maximum weight up to 440lbs.Weighs only 1.76lbs(Includes 2 iron carabiners and 2X9.8ft adjustable tree straps)
- Lightweight & Easy Setup- Parachute hammock is perfect for camping,hiking,backpacking,emergency survival and any adventures!Takes a few minutes to set up and packs away into a conveniently small integrated stuff sack for anyone.
- Trusted Choice- If you have any questions about the product or are not satisfied with it, please contact us at any time,we will offer you the best solution.Your satisfaction is our main concern.
This double camping hammock from Covacure offers plenty of room for two, or you can use it solo and really spread out. Made of premium-quality 210T parachute nylon, this hammock is tear-proof, breathable, and dries really fast.
Premium Pick: Easthills Outdoors Jungle Explorer Double Camping Hammock
- EVERYTHING INLCUDED: No need to look elsewhere! We include 2 long tree straps with 16 adjustable loops(750 lb. per straps/10 feet), 2 aluminum wiregate carabiners, 2 net ropes and a hammock with bug net. In addition, we also include 4 guylines, 4 aluminum stakes and a waterproof rainfly if you choose the rainfly version.
- TOP QUALITY MATIERAL: Crafted from high-strength, breathable 210T Taffeta parachute with triple stitch edge seams. The No-See-Um mesh on top provides excellent insect protection and ventilation. The mesh contains 2500 holes per square inch. Even the smallest pests won’t get through it.
- ROOMY DESIGN FOR COMFORT: Measuring 300 x 200cm (118 x 79 Inches), it can fit two adults, so you can relax with a buddy or just hog the whole thing for yourself. The hammock supports a maximum capacity of 700 lb. yet weighs only 36 oz. and takes up little space in your pack.
- VERSATILE: Features 4 internal hanging loops and 2 gear pockets inside to hold your small personal items. Full-length double side SBS zippers make getting in and out of the hammock a breeze. Top mesh mosquito net can be taken off.
- EASY SUSPENSION SYSTEM: Easy setup with no complicated knots to learn. Relax in the hammock within minutes thanks to the daisy-chain loop system in our tree straps. Wrap the strap around the tree and clip our aluminum wiregate carabineers into any loops. Customer friendly 1 year replacement warranty.
If you’re on the market for a top-of-the-line camping hammock, then you’ll definitely want to consider the Easthills Outdoors Jungle Explorer Double camping Hammock. Like our best pick, this hammock offers enough space to accommodate two adults and has mesh netting. However, the netting is even finer than the netting featured on our top pick; in fact, it’s so fine that it can even prevent no-see-ums from cramping your camping experience.
Budget Pick: Wovuu Double Camping Hammock
- Durable Parachute Nylon Fabric-WOVUU camping hammock well made of 210T parachute nylon fabric,the strongest and most comfortable fabric available,breathable,ultralight. Also it comes with triple stitching to provide extra strength durability and safety.
- Extra Large Double Hammock& 660lbs Supported- The unfolded size of our double hammock is 118”x78"(300cm x 200cm) with a legal weight capacity of 660 lbs,comfortably to hold 2 people or 4 children.It's large enough to lay down with your friend or loved one and you will still have plenty of room.
- Adjustable Tree Strips- Upgrade adjustable tree strips,each tree strip is 10 feet long with 18+1 loops, easily locking the carabiners to any loops which adjust a perfect height and comfort level.Less then 3 mins then you can set up well your camping hammock on a tree and adjust your hammock in seconds easily.
- Portable & Easy to Carry-Our travel capming hammock is very lightweight and portable,the bundled dimensions size only 5x5x7.4inch & weight only 2.2lb, just pack into your packbag and carry around easily. And you can choose it as great GIFT IDEAL for friends, father, mother, traveler, tent campers,beach visitors and so on.
- Package & After-sale Satisfaction-All accessories included to save money,the camping hammock comes with hammock,2 pieces carabiners and 2 adjustable tree straps.We offer afer-sale guarantee,if you meet any questions about our WOVUU camping hammock, just contact us anytime.
For shoppers who are looking for a bargain, the Woovuu Double Camping Hammock is a great choice. Like our best and premium picks, this one is also made out of heavy-duty parachute nylon material and it is triple-stitched for added durability.
Camping Hammock Reviews
Now that you’ve had a sneak peek at our top picks for the best, premium, and budget camping hammocks, let’s take a more in-depth look at these three options, as well as four other camping hammocks that we highly recommended.
Covacure Double Camping Hammock
Offering plenty of room for two adults and mesh mosquito netting, the Covacure Double Camping Hammock is ideal for lounging and for sleeping. It’s made of 210T nylon, the highest grade nylon available and the same material that’s used for parachutes.
The nylon is tear-resistant, highly breathable, quick-drying. Triple stitching and durable nylon straps provide added durability and peace of mind. Zip up the super fine mesh netting to keep mosquitoes and other pets at bay, or if you prefer, you can remove the strings and flip the hammock over to use it without the netting.
Thanks to the storage bag, you can keep your personal items within arm’s reach. This hammock has a maximum weight capacity of 440 pounds and it weighs just 1.7 pounds, so toting it around is a breeze. It comes complete with two iron carabiners and two 2.98 foot tree straps, and it can be set up in a jiffy.
- Made of 210T parachute nylon material
- Breathable, tear-resistant, and quick-drying
- Removable fine-mesh mosquito netting
- Convenient storage bag
- Comes with two durable nylon adjustable tree straps, two iron carabiners, and a carrying case
- Easy set up
- Can accommodate two adults
- Affordably priced
- The max weigh capacity is 440 pounds, which is lower than other camping hammocks on our list
- Some users said that the tree straps were smaller than the thought they would be
Easthills Outdoors Jungle Explorer Double Camping HammockThe Easthills Outdoors Jungle Explorer Double Camping Hammock is our premium pick, and for good reason; it’s well-made, highly durable, easy to set up, and offers some additional key features that really make it a premium choice.
For example, with the addition of a waterproof rain fly, you won’t have to worry about getting wet if storm clouds roll in; plus, it prevents the hot sun from beating down on you. Also, like our best pick, the Easthills Outdoors camping hammock features mesh netting, but it’s even finer than netting featured on the Covacure hammock; it contains 2500 holes per square inch that even those tiny no-see-ums can’t get through.
Offering enough space for two adults to fit comfortably, this hammock can support even more weight than our best pick – up to 700 pounds! The easy suspension system makes set up super quick and easy and the full-length doubled sided SBS zippers make getting into and out of the hammock a cinch.
Made of 210T Taffeta parachute material with triple stitched edge seams, you’ll have peace of mind while you’re hanging amongst the trees. There are two interior gear pockets that you can use to stow your personal items nearby and the hammock comes complete with two 10 foot tree straps with 16 adjustable loops, two aluminum wiregate carabiners, two net ropes, and a carrying case.
- Made of 210T Taffeta parachute material
- Triple stitch edge seams
- Can accommodate two adults and support up to 77 pounds
- A waterproof rainfly will keep you dry if it rains and shaded when it’s sunny
- Super-fine nesh provides protection from the tiniest pests
- Two interior gear pockets
- Easy suspension system for easy set up
- Comes with two 10 foot adjustable tree straps, two aluminum wiregate carabiners, and two net ropes
- Backed by a 1 year replacement warranty
- It’s a bit pricier than other camping hammocks featured on our list
- Some users said that the material tore after a few uses
Yoomo Camping HammockThis camping hammock from Yoomo is made with the same heavy-duty nylon material that parachutes are made of, so you know it’s incredibly durable. It also features 2-in-1 mosquito netting, so you don’t have to worry about creepy crawlies bugging you.
When you don’t need the netting, just flip the hammock 180 degrees you’ll have a standard tree hammock. With a maximum weight capacity of 600 pounds, you can have peace of mind knowing that you’ll be safe and secure. There’s even a built-in pocket attached to the side of the hammock, so you can keep your phone, glasses, a water bottle, or any other personal items close at hand. If comes complete with premium-quality nylon tree straps, carabiners, and a storage bag, too.
For campers who are looking for a budget-friendly, yet high-quality hammock, the Wovuu Double Camping Hammock is a great choice. Made out of 201T parachute nylon fabric, this camping hammock is highly durable, breathable, quick drying, and lightweight. There’s enough space for two adults or four kids to comfortably lounge and it can hold up to 660 pounds.
Two 10 foot long tree straps with 18+1 loops and easy-locked heavy-duty carabiners allow for fast and easy set up; in fact, it can be set up in under three minutes. Though this camping hammock is extremely durable, it’s very lightweight; weighing in at just 2.2 pounds, carrying it around will be a breeze. There’s a built-in storage pocket and it comes with a carrying case, too.
- Made of 210T parachute nylon material
- Triple-stitched seams
- Highly durable
- Offers enough space for two adults and four kids
- Can accommodate up to 660 pounds
- Comes with two 10 foot adjustable tree straps and two heavy-duty carabiners
- Fast and easy set up
- Features a built-in storage pocket
- Lightweight design
- Comes with a convenient carrying case
- Very affordably priced
- It lacks mesh insect netting
- Some users said that they felt it was “flimsy”
Geertop Portable Camping Hammock
If you like the idea of having protection from pests and the elements but you don’t want to spend a lot, then the Geertop Portable Camping Hammock might be the perfect option for you. Made of 70D taffeta parachute nylon material, this hammock is extremely durable and very breathable.
Polyester hexagonal mesh will keep those pesky insects away and a built-in shade cloth prevents the hot sun from beating down on you. This hammock is intended for a single adult or one adult and one child and has a max weight capacity of 440 pounds. Measuring 9.5 feet long and 4.6 feet wide, you’ll have plenty of room to stretch out and relax.
The durable double-sided zippers make it easy to get into and out of this camping hammock, and the two adjustable tree straps and two heavy-duty metal carabiners make set up a breeze. Use the storage bag to keep personal items nearby and when you’re finished using it, tuck it into the carrying case for convenient transport.
- Made of 70D breathable taffeta parachute nylon
- Hexagonal insect mesh keeps pests away
- A built-in shade cloth provides protection from the hot sun
- Double-side zippers make getting into and out of the hammock a cinch
- Comes with two long and adjustable tree straps and two heavy-duty carabiners
- Max weight capacity of 440 pounds and can comfortably hold one adult and one child
- Easy to set up
- Affordably priced
- While the sun tarp provides shade, it isn’t waterproof and won’t prevent rain from entering the hammock
- We couldn’t determine if the sun tarp and mesh netting are removable
Wovuu Camping Hammock with NetThe Wovuu Camping Hammock with Net is another high-quality, yet affordable option. Made of 210T nylon, the same fabric they use to make parachutes, this camping hammock is lightweight and breathable, yet extremely durable.
It dries fast, too. It features a built-in mosquito net, too, so you don’t have to worry about those nuisance and sometimes dangerous pests bugging you. Measuring 114 inches by 57 inches when unfolded, this camping hammock offers plenty of space to spread out and relax; it can support up to 500 pounds, too.
Despite the large size when it’s folded, it folds down to just 4 inches by 8.9 inches by 4 inches and weighs only 2 pounds, so you’ll have no trouble stowing it away. It comes with all of the parts you need to set it up, including two durable tree straps that feature 18 adjustment loops and measure 20 feet long, two heavy duty carabiners, two elastic ropes, and two sand pegs.
Like all of the other hammocks we’ve reviewed so far, this one also features a storage compartment to hold your belongings, and it comes with a convenient carrying case, too. It’s also backed by a full lifetime warranty; if anything happens, just let the manufacturer know and they’ll issue you a full refund.
- Made of durable 210T parachute fabric
- Lightweight, breathable, and quick-drying
- Features built-in mosquito netting
- Can accommodate up to 500 pounds
- Comes with two long and adjustable tree straps, two heavy duty carabiners, two elastic ropes, and two sand pegs
- Easy to set up
- Features a storage bag and carrying case
- Backed by a lifetime warranty
- Affordably priced
- Some consumers said that while the mosquito netting is a nice feature, it’s very delicate and tears easily
AEET Camping Hammock
Last, but certainly not least, on our list of the best camping hammocks, is the AEET Camping Hammock. Made of military-grade 210T nylon material, the same fabric that parachutes are made of, this hammock is highly durable, breathable, comfortable, and dries quickly.
Measuring 114 inches long and 55 inches wide, there is lots of space to spread out and relax; it can support up to 660 pounds, too! The attached fine mesh net can keep out even the smallest bugs, but if you don’t want to use it, you can just flip the hammock over and use it net-less.
A waterproof rain fly extends out over the length of the hammock, so when wet weather strikes, you’ll stay nice and dry. It provides shade from the sun, too. The rain fly features a camo print, making this hammock ideal for overnight or all-day hunting excursions.
It comes compete with all of the accessories that are needed to set it up, including two solid steel d-shaped carabiners, two 2-meter long tree belts with 5+1 rings, two ropes, and a carry bag. As an added bonus, it comes with an eye-mask to block out the light if you want to catch a snooze.
Easy to set up and relatively pretty affordably priced, you’ll be able to enjoy hammock camping in comfort without having to break the bank.
- Made of 210T military-grade nylon parachute material
- Highly durable, lightweight, breathable, and quick-drying
- A fine mesh net provides pest protection
- A waterproof rain fly will keep you dry if it rains and provides shelter from the sun
- Comes with all of the components that are needed to set it up, as well as a bonus eye mask
- Easy to set up
- Features a built-in storage pocket
- Compact size when folded down makes it easy to transport
- Max weight capacity of 660 pounds
- Measures 114 inches long and 55 inches wide
- Backed by a risk-free money back guarantee
- Affordably priced
- Some users said that the found the rain fly was difficult to set up
Other Best Selling Options
- Enjoy the Swing: Lie down and rest with your friends, kids or lovers, relax in complete comfort under the sway. There are multiple colors available in the Kootek hammock. Small size (108''L X 55''W) fit for 1 person , holding up to 400lb (180kg).
- Super Lightweight: Can be folded into the small attached sack, portable to carry and fits into backpack. It is a great replacement for tent, sleeping pad, ground mat, swing, cradle, etc.
- Adjustable Tree-friendly Straps: Each strap 10 feet long with 18+1 loops, easily locking the carabineers to any loops which adjust a perfect height and comfort level. No need to tie any knots and not damaging the trees.
- Durable & Comfortable: Made of 210T parachute fabric material, has excellent antifraying, anti-tearing, dirty resistance. Easy to be cleaned and dry quickly after being wet.
- Great Gift: Various of color to select, ideal gift for friends, kids, lovers, father, mother, traveler, beach visitors, tent campers who loves traveling camping, backpacking hiking for a relax. Or hanging the hammock and relaxing on it in the patio.
- 【Hammock with Mosquito Net】Mosquito net and hammock are not separately, but in one-piece design, can not be removed. Small and dense mesh net can effectively stop the bites and harassment of mosquitoes and insects. If you do not want use with the net, turn it to the downsideand, and enjoy the happy time without the mosquitonet.
- 【Max Capacity 440lbs/200kg】The camping hammock is made of high quality thickened 210T taffeta nylon fabric, comfortable and durable and non-fading. Tear resistant and strong load bearing. Note: Please confirm that the object attached to the hammock can bear the weight of the user before use. !!! Please do not hang sharp things (such as key rings) on your pants when sit on the hammock to avoid scratch the fabric!!!
- 【Multifunctional Hammock Upgraded Tent Tarp】We're upgrade the hammock tarp size to 122 x 122 inch (Diagonal size); 90.5 x 82.7 inch (Length x width), your backpacking net hammock can be fully covered in sunny and rainy days. As camping gear it can be folded into the storage bag, or use it separately as a tent or picnic mat.
- 【Lightweight Foldable & Easy to Carry】The hammock netting set comes with a attached stuff sack. When your hammock is not used, your can fold it into this pocket for portable backpacking. Also it can be used place your mobile phones, water cups and other stuff during use.
- 【What You Get 】Various accessories, easy to install.Automatic quick-open design, with upgraded metal steel carabiner, 102 inch tree straps and other accessories, superior easy to install and enjoy it, no need to knot, complete the installation in seconds.
- Unlike Other Hammocks ours are made of high quality heavy duty 210T parachute nylon. This extra soft yet super strong material gives you the most comfortable and relaxing experience ever.
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - So you don’t have to wonder if you are risking your hard-earned money. If you don’t love it just let us know. We take great pride in taking care of our awesome customers. Don’t take our word for it… just look at our reviews.
- We Won't Empty Your Wallet For Essentials! We love the outdoors just like you and we know that the cost of gear can really add up, therefore, we offer the same quality products as other well-known brands for a much more affordable price. Trust us, our gear is just as good! It's also a great multifunctional inexpensive gift for your mom, dad, sister, girlfriend, boyfriend, son, daughter or even the dog 🙂
- Lightweight And Compact - So you can take them anywhere. The SingleOwl (1 person) is 9ft long by 4 1/2 ft wide, weighs 24 oz.(straps included) and packs down to about the size of a grapefruit. Want a bigger one? Check out our DoubleOwl (2 people) that is 10ft long by 6 1/2 ft wide, weighs only 30 oz.(straps included) and is about the size of an eggplant so you can just throw it in your backpack and go.
- Relax Immediately W/Super Fast & Easy Set Up: Tree straps & carabiners are included w/this hammock making set up a breeze. No need to tie any knots. The hammock straps are 9 ft long (not 2 ft like others) and come with 5 separate loops so you can adjust your hammock to the perfect height and comfort level. You can attach them to anything sturdy, like trees and get to relaxing in just one minute! It’s that fast.
- EXTRA LARGE SIZE & Comfortable: large double size measuring (Approx. 126 x 79 Inches) supporting up to 500 lbs. fits two adults and enjoy your relaxing time comfortably. Bright colors make it very nice-looking! Perfect for camping, hiking, backpacking, boat trips, road trips, traveling and even in your backyard!
- LIGHTWEIGHT & COMPACT: Can be folded into the small attached sack, pack down to about the size of a volleyball and weighs only about 1.5 lbs. fits into backpack so you can take them anywhere conveniently.
- Durable & STURDY: Made of parachute fabric makes it very sturdy & durable. Exquisite touch feeling, anti-tearing, dirty resistance, easy to be cleaned and dry quickly after being wet. Unique strap design has breaking strength of 1000 lbs.!
- FAST & EASY SETUP: All necessary stuff are included in sack and unfolded in just seconds. You can adjust the hammock to the perfect height and comfort level of your preference with the adjustable ropes and lock which making the set up a breeze for even the novice without making any knots.
- Great Gift: variety of bright color options, ideal gift for those who loves camping, backpacking hiking, traveling etc. 60 DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!!!
- QUALITY YOU CAN CRASH ON: With this Double Camping Hammock from Legit Camping, you’ll have everything you need to relax in complete comfort on your next camping or hiking trip. Heading to the beach or taking in a festival? Don’t leave home without your parachute hammock. With its lightweight, spacious design and 400-pound capacity, it’s the camping companion you can’t go without.
- STUFF IT IN A SACK: This portable hammock redefines grab-n-go camping. No need to take along a bulky pad and heavy sleeping bag; just stuff the hammock into the small attached sack, put it in your pack and off you go. When you’ve found the best camp spot, setup is a breeze with the included steel carabiners, rope and tree friendly straps. You’ll be swinging in utter bliss in no time. (No need to buy hanging straps separately like with other camping and hiking hammocks)
- A CUT ABOVE: There are all kinds of camping accessories out there, but very few can compete with the quality you’ll find at Legit Camping. We create camping gear designed to stand up to the rigors of windy days, rainy nights and the wear and tear that comes with outdoor survival. When you go Legit, you say goodbye to shoddy construction and poor performance over time. Your hammock should work just as well five years down the line as it does when you take it out of the sack for the first time.
- WRAP, SNAP AND SWING: We wanted to ensure that our backpacking hammock was easy for anyone to setup – whether you’ve worked with backpacking gear before or not. The first time you unpack your travel hammock, you’ll be blown away by just how simple it is. There’s plenty of room for two, and the military-grade 210T nylon fabric makes both a durable and comfortable bed.
- HAMMOCK FOR LIFE: We’re proud to provide a lifetime warranty on all our products. If for some reason you don’t like your camping hammock, just return it for a full refund. If something goes wrong, we’ll be right there with a replacement. That’s a lifetime warranty the Legit way.It's the perfect gift for your mom, dad, sister or brother this coming holidays! Give your husband, your wife, or your kids this quality hammock for a unique gift they will surely love!
Camping Hammocks Buyer’s Guide
Just like any other product you would purchase, when you are looking to buy a camping hammock, there are some important factors that you’re going to want to take into consideration before you make your final decision. There are so many different types of hammocks on the market.
So, what type of factors should you consider? Here’s a look at some key features and factors that can help you determine what type of and which camping hammock you should purchase in order experience maximum enjoyment.
First and foremost, you should consider your end use for your camping hammock? In other words, what and how do you intend on using it? Wil you be using it in place of a tent? Will it be used as a spot to kick-back, relax, and lounge when you are tent or RV camping, or hiking?
What time of the year will you be using it: all year, even during inclement weather, or solely when the weather is pleasant? How you intend on using it will provide you with a good idea of what type of hammock would best suit your needs.
Size and Weight Capacity
Camping hammocks are available in two different sizes: single and double. Generally, single hammocks measure between 4 to 5 feet wide and typically, the weight capacity is between 300 and 400 pounds. Double hammocks, on the other hand, usually measure between 5 and 6 feet wide and on average, can accommodate between 400 and 600 pounds.
If you’re only planning on using the hammock for yourself and want something that’s easier to tote around (if you’re hiking or backpacking, for example), then a single hammock may be the best option for you.
However, if the hammock will be used for two adults or an adult and children or pets, or if a single user wants more space to stretch out (if you plan on using it in lieu of a tent, for example), you should consider a double hammock; bear, though, in mind that double camping hammocks are usually a bit heavier than the single-sized variety.
In terms of length, length doesn’t vary as widely as width, so unless you are on the tall side, the length of the hammock really shouldn’t be a concern. If you are tall and want to ensure that you won’t be cramped, we suggest choosing a hammock that is 2 feet longer, or more, than your height.
Obviously, you want your camping hammock to be durable, comfortable, and supportive, and the material that it’s constructed out of plays a big role in durability. The best camping hammocks are made of high-grade parachute nylon materials; yes, the same material that the parachutes skydivers use is made of.
Parachute nylon is extremely durable, yet lightweight and breathable, which is why it’s so commonly used for camping hammocks. Some hammocks are also treated with water-repellant compounds, so if staying dry is a concern, look for a hammock that is made of waterproof parachute nylon.
Material isn’t the only component that will affect the durability of a camping hammock; so do the seams. Ideally, you should look for a camping hammock that features, at minimum, double-stitched seams; however, triple-stitching is even stronger and thus, more durable.
If you’ve read through our list of the top camping hammocks already, you’ve likely noticed that there are a number of accessories available. It’s important to consider which accessories – if any – would be beneficial so that you can pick a hammock that will best suit your needs. Some of the most common accessories include:
- Rain flies. Similar to a tent, some camping hammocks are equipped with rain flies. They’re made of waterproof material and they hang over the top of the hammock with guylines, which ensures that they retain a proper pitch so as not to allow water to drip into the hammock. Do note, however, that if the wind blows, there is a chance that some rain could still make its way into the hammock. A larger rain fly can help to prevent this issue, as it will offer more protection.
- Insect netting. There’s nothing worse than hearing flying insects buzzing past your ear, except getting bitten by those nuisance pests. To keep bugs at bay, look for a camping hammock that is equipped with insect netting. For maximum protection, opt for super-fine, “no-see-um” netting, as it will lock out those tiny pests. Another note about insect netting: make sure that this feature is outfitted with a durable two-way zipper so that you can easily enter and exit the hammock.
- The majority of camping hammocks come equipped with carabiners, as well as tree straps, which combined, is known as a suspension system; however, some hammocks do not come with straps and need to be purchased separately. In regard to tree straps, make sure that they are a minimum of 0.75 inches wide, so as to prevent damaging the trees they will be attached too. Additionally, look for adjustable straps so that you can get the best and most comfortable fit for your needs.
- Storage pockets. When you’re lounging in a hammock, it’s helpful to have a spot where you can store those items that you want to keep close-at-hand, such as your phone, a map, glasses, a water bottle, etc. Many camping hammocks are outfitted with pockets that provide storage.
Weight of the Hammock
In addition to weight capacity, you should also consider the weight of the hammock itself. The majority of camping hammocks are very lightweight; most weigh less-than 3 pounds, though there are ultralight models that weigh a little as 6 ounces.
A three pound hammock might not seem like a big deal if you’re taking a short hike or are driving up to your campsite, but when you’re backpacking, a few ounces makes a big difference and can affect your comfort. With that said, however, lightweight hammocks are usually more costly than heavier models.
Which brings us to the final factor that you’re going to want to take into consideration before you purchase a camping hammock: the price. Prices can vary widely, and as expected, larger hammocks and those that are equipped with more accessories tend to cost more.
Additionally, as noted, lighter weight hammocks are usually more expensive than heavier designs. Make sure you consider how much you are willing to spend before you start shopping, as well as the above-mentioned factors, so that you can find a hammock that will work best for your needs, yet won’t exceed your budget.
Camping Hammock FAQs
If you’ve never purchased a camping hammock before, there’s no doubt that you have a few questions. To further assist you with the selection and purchasing process, we’ve provided answers to some of the most frequently asked questions consumers have about camping hammocks.
How can camping hammocks be used?
As the name suggests, these hammocks are intended to be used for camping; they can be used in lieu of a tent so that you can actually sleep up off the ground and in the trees. They can be used in numerous other ways, too; for example, you can use it for lounging while tent or car camping, or even in a backyard, living room, dorm room, etc.
Why should I use a camping hammock as opposed to a standard hammock?
Camping hammocks are much more versatile than standard hammocks. They are designed for sleeping, so they are more supportive; they’re also more durable and are more lightweight than standard hammocks. Furthermore, many models are equipped with a variety of features that make them even more useful than a standard hammock. So, even if you don’t intend on camping overnight in one, but rather, just plan on using it for lounging, a camping hammock would be more comfortable and supportive than a standard model; especially if you purchase one that has a rain fly and insect netting.
Will I be colder in a camping hammock than a tent?
Yes, generally speaking, it is colder in a camping hammock than it is in a tent. That’s because there is more surface area exposure in a hammock than there is in a tent. There are ways that you can combat the cold, however; for example, you can sleep in a high-quality sleeping bag, add an underquilt (essentially, a quilt made out of thick material that is specifically designed for camping hammocks and blocks out cold air), or you can use both.
Summing It Up
Whether you want to ditch pitching a tent or you just want something you can relax in, a camping hammock is worthwhile investment if you spend a lot of time outdoors. In this guide, we’ve provided a list of what we consider to be the very best camping hammocks currently available on the market. Before you make your final decision and purchase a hammock, however, be sure to consider the key factors that we mentioned in the buyer’s guide portion of our review so that you can find the right option for your specific needs. Happy lounging!