When it comes to snorkeling, you want to be sure that you choose a high-quality camera that will stand up to the elements and that you can rely on to capture clear images. Since snorkeling is such a popular activity, it comes as no surprise to find that that are plenty of snorkeling cameras to choose from; just do a quick search online for “snorkeling cameras” and you’ll find so many different models.
How do you sift through all of the different options and ensure that you’re choosing a high-quality and reliable model that will suit your needs? In order to save you the trouble and point you in the right direction, we’ve taken the liberty of doing the research for you.
We’ve narrowed down the options to what we believe are the best models currently available on the market. In this guide, we’ve compiled a list of our top picks and have provided overviews of the features that they offer, as well as the pros and cons of each one.
You’ll also find a handy buyer’s guide, which highlights the key factors that you should take into consideration when you’re shopping that will help you choose the best snorkeling camera for your specific needs. To wrap things up, we provide answers to some of the most frequently asked questions that consumers have about these specialized cameras.
With the information presented in this guide, you should be able to choose a high-quality camera that you can count on to capture the memories of your underwater adventures.
Our Top Picks
We realize that not everyone has the time to read through long, detailed reviews, yet they still want to be able to find a top-quality snorkeling camera, which is why we included this section in our review. Here, we offer a brief overview of our top picks for the best overall, best premium, and best budget picks for snorkeling cameras.
Best Pick: Fujifilm FinePix XP 130 Waterproof Digital Camera
- Fujifilm FinePix XP130 16.4MP Digital Camera - NP-45S Li-ion Battery - AC-5VF AC Power Adapter - USB Cable - Hand Strap - Owner's Manual - Fujifilm 1 Year Limited Warranty 7
- 16.4MP back-illuminated CMOS sensor and FUJINON 5x optical zoom lens with 28mm wide-angle setting
- Intelligent Digital Zoom function extends zoom range up to 10x
- Four-way protection - Waterproof up to 65 feet/20 meters, shockproof to 5.7 feet/1.75 meters, freeze proof to 14°F/ -10°C and dust proof
- Compact lightweight design with 3.0 inch 920K dot high definition LCD monitor with anti-reflective coating
Fujifilm is one of the most trusted names in the camera industry, so it comes as no surprise that their FinePix XP130 Waterproof Digital Camera with 16GB SD Card is our pick for the best overall snorkeling camera. It’s outfitted with the most advanced Bluetooth technologies and boasts four robust protection features and multipurpose showing functions, like Electronic Level and Eye Detection to capture exceptional images and is outfitted with a Fujinon lens, a lens that’s exclusive to Fuji cameras.
Premium Pick: Olympus Tough TG-6 Waterproof Camera
- Water proof (50 feet /15 meter), dust proof, shock proof (7 feet / 2.1 meter), crush proof (100 kgf), freeze proof (14 degree Fahrenheit / -10 degree Celsius), anti-fog
- High resolution F2.0 lens, maximum 8x zoom, true pic VIII, back illuminated CMOS image sensor
- Variable macro system comprised of 4 macro shooting modes, magnified shooting up to 1 centimeter from the end of the lens
- 5 underwater shooting modes including underwater microscope, 3 underwater white balance modes
- 4K movie and full HD 120 fps high speed movies can be recorded. Battery life - Approx. 340 Images (using Toshiba SDHC UHS-I Card Exceria with is on, based on CIPA testing standards). Approx. 50 minutes (under standard JEITA testing). Approx. 110 minutes (when zoom and other operational functions are not used). When repeatedly recording at the maximum time of 29 minutes
For snorkelers who are looking for a top-of-the-line camera and have room in their budget to spare, the Olympus Tough TG-6 Waterproof Camera is an excellent choice. Like Fuji, Olympus is one of the best-known names in the camera industry. Their TG-6 camera is robust, yet lightweight, and is outfitted with a number of advanced features, making it one of the most reliable premium snorkeling cameras on the market. Waterproof up to 50 feet, shock-proof up to 7 feet, crush-proof up to 100kgf, freeze-proof to 14 degrees F, and anti-fog, too, this camera can stand up to harsh underwater climates with ease.
Budget Pick: Safe and Perfect Underwater Camera
- ▶【48MP Image, 2.7K Video】Upgraded to higher resolution, this underwater camera can shoot 48 megapixels high-quality JPEG format photos. With the 2.7K video resolution option, you can record your extraordinary cool moments at AVI format vividly. 16X digital zoom allows the waterproof camera to capture the precious moments near, far, and in between.
- ▶【10 Feet Waterproof, Shockproof】This underwater camera is completely sealed for waterproof purpose, and you can dive up to 10 feet for one hour per time without using extra casing for protection. The wrist strap makes sure you won’t lose the waterproof camera while snorkeling, swimming or drifting. The state of the art built-in anti-shaking function delivers steady and smooth pictures.
- ▶【Continuous Shooting】Never lose the moment. Select the continuous shooting mode, start taking multiple photos in a short time. Never miss recording any interesting moment. The waterproof camera digital is equipped with a LED flashlight that can be turned on by one single press on the "flash" button. Our underwater camera for snorkeling
- ▶【Double Screen, Self-timer】Featured with a 1.8 inch front screen and a 2.7 inch rear screen, the waterproof digital camera allows you to easily take a selfie by pressing the screen switching button. With the 2/5/10s self-timer, no one will be missed in group photos! The underwater camera supports micro SD card maximum 128G (which is not included in the package).
- ▶【What You Will Get】A Li-ion battery, a camera sack, a user manual, a wrist strap, a USB cable and an adapter will come with the waterproof camera. If you have any issues with your waterproof camera within one year since the purchase date, get in touch and we’ll be happy to make it right.
If you’re looking for a reliable snorkeling camera but you don’t want to invest a lot of money, the Safe and Protect Underwater Camera is an excellent choice. This durable camera is outfitted with robust features that will allow you to capture reliable images of your underwater adventures. It can capture 48 megapixel high-quality JPEG format photos and features a 2.7k video resolution option so you can record moving images of your adventures, too. With 16X digital zoom, you’ll be able to capture images that are both nearby and far away. It’s waterproof up to 10 feet without extra casing, so while it may not be able to bring it as deep as our top picks for the best overall and best premium snorkeling cameras, but given the affordable price tag, it’s pretty impressive.
Snorkeling Camera Reviews
Now that we’ve shared a brief overview of our top picks for the best overall, best premium, and best budget snorkeling cameras, let’s dive in and explore a little further. In this section, we share more in-depth reviews of our top picks for the highest quality and most reliable snorkeling cameras, including the above-mentioned options, as well as a few additional models.
Fujifilm FinePix XP130 Waterproof Digital Camera
The Fujifilm FinePix XP130 Waterproof Digital Camera with 16GB SD Card is our pick for the best overall snorkeling camera. A robust and durable design combined with numerous useful feature, this camera is one of the best snorkeling cameras currently available on the market.
Outfitted with the most advanced Bluetooth technology and rugged protection features, this camera can stand up to harsh underwater conditions with ease while capturing reliable images of your snorkeling adventures. The lightweight body is highly durable and boasts some of the most revolutionary protection features; it’s waterproof up to 65 feet, is shock-proof up to 5.7 feet, is freeze-proof up to 14 degrees F, and is dustproof.
The battery is housed in a compartment that features a double-locking mechanism, too, so you won’t have to worry about the battery being exposed to the water. A smart grip design allows you to grasp the camera and take pictures with one hand. With Bluetooth technology and Wireless LAN connectivity, you’ll be able to transfer your images with just a push of a button and print them out or transfer them to a smartphone or table so you can share your images with family and friends with ease.
You can even sync time and location information from the camera onto your images. This camera is also outfitted with new shooting functions, such as an Electronic Level and Eye Detection and features a Fujinon lens.
With the Fujifilm XP130, you’ll have peace of mind knowing that you’ll have the ability to capture incredible images when you’re exploring the underwater world.
- Waterproof up to 65 feet, shockproof up to 5.7 feet, freeze-proof to 14 degrees F, and it’s dust-proof, too
- Battery compartment features a double-locking mechanism
- Outfitted with Bluetooth technology and Wireless LAN Connectivity
- Thoughtful one-handed grip design
- New shooting functions include Electronic Level and Eye Detection
- Fujinon 5x optical zoom lens with 28mm wide-angle setting
- 45MP back-illuminated CMOS sensor
- Intelligent Digital Zoom function that extends zoom rang up to 10X
- 0 inch 920K dot high definition LCD monitor with anti-reflective coating
Olympus Tough TG-6 Waterproof Camera
If you’re looking for a high-end snorkeling camera that is outfitted with the most state-of-the-art technologies, the Olympus Tough TG-6 Waterproof Camera is an excellent option.
The robust construction is waterproof up to 50 feet, dust-proof, shock-proof up to 7 feet, 100kgf crush proof, and freeze-proof up to 14 degrees, so you can have confidence knowing that it will be able to withstand harsh conditions.
The high-resolution F2.0 anti-fog lens offers maximum 8x zoom and has a true pic VIII, back-illuminated CMOS image sensor. The variable macro system is comprise of 4 macro shooting modes, including magnified shooting up to 1 centimeter from end of the lens.
With five underwater shooting modes, complete with an underwater microscope and three underwater white balance modes, you’ll be able to capture incredibly clear images. In addition to taking still images, the Olympus Tough TG-6 is ca also capture full HD 120 fps high-speed moving images.
With so many outstanding features, there’s no doubt about it; the Olympus Tough TG-6 Waterproof Camera really is a revolutionary, high-end snorkeling camera.
- Waterproof up to 50 feet
- Dust-, shock-, freeze-, crush-, and fog-proof
- High resolution F2.0, maximum 8x zoom lens
- Back-illuminated CMOS image sensor
- Variable macro system with four macro shooting modes
- 5 underwater shooting modes
- Can capture 4k full HD 120 fps high-speed movies
Safe and Perfect Underwater Camera
For shoppers who want a high-quality and reliable camera but don’t want to invest a lot of money, the Safe and Perfect Underwater Camera is an economical choice. It’s waterproof up to 10 feet and is shock-proof, too. It also features a state-of-the-art anti-shaking function, so you’ll be able to take smooth images, even when the setting isn’t so smooth.
With a continuous shooting mode, you’ll never have to worry about losing a moment of your underwater adventures, because it takes multiple photos in a short period of time. An LED flashlight will perfectly illuminate your photos and can also be used to light your way.
Outfitted with two screens – an 1.8 inch screen on the front and a 2.7 inch screen on the back – you’ll be able to take standard photos and selfies with ease. In addition to great durability and numerous features, this camera also comes complete with a lithium-ion battery, a camera sack, a wrist strap, and a USB cable.
The Safe and Perfect Underwater Camera Full HD 2.7K 48MP Waterproof Camera proves that you don’t have to spend a lot in order to get a high-quality and reliable snorkeling camera, as it is very affordably priced.
- Waterproof up to 10 feet and shake-proof, too
- Features a continuous shooting mode that will snap multiple photos in a short period of time
- Equipped with an LED flashlight
- Double screen design: a 1.8 inch front screen and a 2.7 inch rear screen
- A 2/5/10 second self-timer
- Comes with everything you need, including a lithium-ion battery, a camera sack, and a USB cable
- Affordable price tag
Panasonic LUMIX Waterproof Digital Camera
From Panasonic, another one of the most trusted camera manufacturers, comes the LUMIX Waterproof Digital Camera Underwater Camcorder. Thanks to the robust construction, you can safely take this camera up to 26 feet underwater. It’s also shock-proof up to 5 feet, dust-proof, and freeze-proof up to 14 degrees F.
With such durability, you’ll have complete confidence knowing that this camera will stand up your snorkeling adventures. The Mega O.I.S. lens automatically compensates blurring from shaking hands and instantly detects shaking by a sampling frequency of 4,000 times/second in order to generate sharp, clear images.
Thanks the Advanced Underwater Mode, which offers red color reproduction, it compensates for red tones, which are lost underwater, which allows you to capture more natural looking underwater images. In addition to capturing still images, you’ll also be able to record moving images, as this camera features an MP4 HD video recording feature, which records MP4 HD videos in 1280x720p, which you can start with just the push of a button.
It also features 220MB of built-in memory, so when the SD card is full, the camera’s built-in memory automatically takes over to deliver 220MB of extra storage.
- Waterproof up to 26 feet, shockproof up to 5 feet, dust-proof, and freeze-proof up to 14 degrees F
- Mega OIS Camera Lens automatically compensates blurring caused by hand-shaking
- Advanced Underwater Mode compensates for red tones that are easily lost in underwater shooting
- MP4 HD video recording in 1280x720p
- 222MB of built-in memory
- Durably constructed
- Available in three colors: black, blue, and red
Cocac Waterproof Camera
The Cocac Waterproof Camera 21 MP 1080P Underwater Digital Camera is another high-quality, reliable, and affordably priced snorkeling camera. This digital camera is waterproof up to 5 meters and takes high-definition 8 mega pixel photos.
It also features a 8x digital optical zoom and offers auto, daylight, cloudy, tungsten, fluorescent white balance. With an auto/on/off flash mode and a 2/5/10 second self-timer, so you can capture selfies when your underwater or on dry land.
The LCD display measures 2.8 inches and it has a micro USB 2.0 PC interface, and is powered by a 1000MAH external lithium-ion battery.
The camera comes complete with a USB cable, the battery, a lanyard, a 32G micro SD card, and a storage bag, too. It can also capture and playback high-definition movies. Of all of the cameras on our list, the Cocac Waterproof Camera 21MP 1080P Underwater Digital Camera is one of the most basic snorkeling cameras on our list, but it’s also the most affordable, and while it’s basic, it’s certainly reliable and will capture clear images.
- Waterproof up to 5 meters
- Features 8 mega pixels
- Boasts an 8x optical digital zoom
- Outfitted with a 2/5/10 second self-timer
- Auto/on/off flash mode
- AVI video file format
- Comes with all components needed to operate it
- Very affordably priced
Other Best Selling Options
- Beach Accessories for Vacation: Big Size Waterproof Phone Holder, Up to 7 inches capacity, compatible for iPhone 12 pro Samsung and others.
- Beach Essentials: 2 Pack waterproof phone bag convenient for you and your family.
- Certified Waterproof Phone Cases: IPX8 certified waterproof up to 100 feet/ 30 meters,beach accessories for vacation must haves.
- Beach Gear: Hiearcool Waterproof phone pouch/case comes with a detachable lanyard from 13.8 to 21 inches.
- Beach Necessities: Not just for the phone but any other you want to keep away from water.
- Color night vision: An all-new Starlight Sensor records night time video in full, vivid color. The Starlight Sensor can see full color in environments up to 25x darker than traditional video cameras and the new f/1.6 aperture captures 2x more light.
- Indoor/Outdoor: Wyze Cam v3 is a wired video camera with an IP65 rating so you can confidently install it outside in the rain or inside in the kids’ room. Wyze Outdoor Power Adapter (sold separately) required for outdoor use. Phone Compatibility - Android 5.0+, iOS 9.0+.
- Motion & Sound detection: Wyze Cam records video when motion or sound is detected and sends an alert straight to your phone. Motion Detection Zones and custom settings allow you to adjust the sensitivity of detection or turn it off completely.
- 24/7 Continuous Recording: Continuous video recording with a 32GB MicroSD card (sold separately). Just insert the MicroSD into the base of the Wyze Cam and you’re all set.
- IFTTT certified connect all of your different apps and devices. When you sign up for a free account, you can enable your apps and devices to work together.
- Monitor the inside of your home day and night with our 1080P HD indoor plug-in smart security camera with motion detection and two-way audio.
- See, hear, and speak to people and pets in your home from your smartphone with Blink Mini’s live view and two-way audio.
- Get alerts on your smartphone whenever motion is detected or customize motion detection zones so you can see what matters most.
- Choose to save and share clips with a free 30-day trial of the Blink Subscription Plan or locally with the Sync Module 2 (sold separately).
- Set up in minutes — plug in the camera, connect it to wifi, and follow the instructions in the free Blink Home Monitor app.
- Water proof (50 feet /15 meter), dust proof, shock proof (7 feet / 2.1 meter), crush proof (100 kgf), freeze proof (14 degree Fahrenheit / -10 degree Celsius ), anti-fog
- High resolution F2.0 lens, maximum 8x zoom, true pic VIII, back illuminated CMOS image sensor
- Variable macro system comprised of 4 macro shooting modes, magnified shooting up to 1 centimeter from the end of the lens
- 5 underwater shooting modes including underwater microscope, 3 underwater white balance modes. Image file format: JPEG, raw
- 4K movie and full HD 120 fps high speed movies can be recorded. Max. recording time: 20 seconds
- LARGE CAPACITY: Great for packing swim training equipment, snorkeling gear, beach items, and the pool, the TYR Big Mesh Mummy backpack features an updated design with 20% more capacity for storing all your swimming gear.
- QUALITY DESIGN: Lightweight and functional, this athletic backpack features a spacious main compartment for storage, small zip compartment, and mesh venting for faster dry time and optimal drainage.
- ADJUSTABLE: Over-the-shoulder straps allow for comfortable, convenient carry, while the secure barrel-lock closure at the top provides quick and easy access to your gear.
- EXTRA COMPARTMENTS: Side zipper pocket for additional organization and quick access to essentials like goggles and swim caps. A built-in mesh water bottle pocket keeps hydration at your fingertips.
- QUALITY MATERIALS: Measuring 25.25 x 19 inches, the mesh backpack has a 40-liter capacity, is made from 100% durable polyester, and is available in a variety of fun colors to complement your personal style.
Snorkeling Camera Buyer’s Guide
Did you know that we know more about the space than we do about the oceans? It’s true! Seventy-one percent of the earth is comprised of ocean and about 95 percent of those waters haven’t been explored, according to the National Oceanic and Atmosphere Administration (NOAA).
Snorkeling is an excellent way to explore the majesty and mystery of the oceans, as well seas, bays, lakes, and even rivers. While you may not be able to dive deep, snorkeling certainly gives you an opportunity to get up close and personal with the underwater world and experience it for yourself.
Whether you’re going to a tropical island or your local beach, if you’re planning a snorkeling trip, you’re going to want to bring an underwater camera along. With an underwater camera, you’ll be able to capture images of the incredible animals, plant life, and structures that you’re bound to discover, as well as the memories that you’re going to make.
A snorkeling camera, as the name suggests, are made with specialized materials that make them waterproof, but they’re more than just waterproof; snorkeling cameras are also specially designed to withstand other harsh conditions that you’ll encounter when you’re diving, such as shock and freezing conditions. These cameras are also specially made to provide great image quality and offer several features, such as Point of Interest (POI), which alerts you to nearby photo-ops, global positioning systems (GPS) and mapping systems, automatic target finding, and zoom (just to name a few).
Now that you’ve read through the detailed reviews of our top picks for the best snorkeling cameras, you’re probably wondering which one you should choose. While each of the cameras on our list are certainly high-quality, you really only need one, and each one offers specific features that will make them better suited for specific buyers.
So which one should you choose? By taking some key factors into consideration before you start shopping, you’ll be able to determine which snorkeling camera will best suit your needs. In this part of our guide, we review some of the most important factors to consider.
Waterproofing and Durability
It goes without saying that when you’re shopping for a snorkeling camera that waterproofing and durability are extremely important factors to consider. Obviously, all snorkeling cameras are waterproof, otherwise they wouldn’t be able to be used for snorkeling; however, different cameras offer different types of waterproofing.
Some options, for example, are waterproof up to 60 plus feet, while others are waterproof up to 10 feet. Typically, the deeper the camera can go in the water, the more expensive it’s going to be; but, that isn’t always necessarily the case. To determine what degree of waterproofing you’ll need your camera to offer, consider how far you’re likely to dive down when you’re snorkeling.
For instance, if you’re only going to skim the surface of the water, you probably won’t need a camera that can go to extreme depths, but if you are planning on diving down pretty far under the waves, then you’re going to want to choose a snorkeling camera that can go further down in the water without being damaged. Read the description of the cameras you’re considering to find out how deep the camera can go under the water.
In addition to waterproofing, you’ll also want to consider other durability factors that the camera offers. While you were reading through the reviews of the snorkeling cameras on our list, you probably noticed that most models were shake-proof, freeze-proof, crush-proof, and feature anti-fog lenses.
These features increase the durability of the camera and ensure that it can withstand the harsh conditions that it may be exposed to when you’re snorkeling. Again, read through the descriptions of the camera that you’re considering to find out more information about durability.
Mega pixels are units of graphic resolution that are equivalent to one million pixels. The more mega pixels the snorkeling camera offers the higher the resolution your images are going to be.
If you want super-clear, life-like images, opt for a snorkeling camera that offers a high amount of mega pixels.
Optical Zoom and Digital Zoom
An optical zoom allows the lens of the camera to behave similarly to a telescope; it magnifies whatever you’re taking a photo of with the lens. Digital zoom, however, refers to the lens zooming in on a part of the photo.
Both play an important role in picture clarity, but optical zoom is more important. The higher the optical zoom the camera offers, the better your images are going to be.
If you plan on using a snorkeling camera to capture different types of image, you should consider investing in one that features different shooting modes. Shooting modes allow you to adjust the lighting that the camera uses to capture a photo can alters the color setting, thereby adjusting the image.
Different types of cameras have different types of shooting modes. With white balance, for example, the camera will adjust the level of blue light and red light in the image; a light with higher color temperature, such as blue, has a higher Kelvin value, while lower color temperatures, like red, have a lower Kelvin value.
White balance adjusts the current lighting conditions so that the white or light colored images will appear in the images. Another shooting mode to consider is advanced underwater mode. This type of mode is designed to compensate for the red modes that are often lost under water, thus ensuring that they are captured and that they show up in the image.
If capturing motion images is important to you, look for a snorkeling camera that features a video mode. With this mode, you’ll be able to capture short videos on your camera.
If video mode is important to you, make sure that the snorkeling camera you choose is designed to make switching to the mode simple when you’re underwater.
Shaky hands aren’t uncommon when you’re trying to capture a photo on dry land; they’re even more common when you’re trying to take a picture when you’re underwater. Your hands naturally move with the current of the water, so it’s hard to keep them still, which could result in capturing distorted images.
In order to ensure that the pictures you capture are as crisp and clear as possible, it’s a good idea to invest in a camera that features an anti-shake mode. With this feature, the camera will automatically detect shaking movements by sampling frequency of up to 4,000 times per second so that the camera can capture sharp, clear images.
Photo Transfer Feature
If you want to share your photos and videos, a photo that’s outfitted with a photo transfer feature is a great choice. This feature incorporates Bluetooth Pairing and Wireless LAN Connectivity, which allows for instant transfer to printers and to mobile devices, such as smartphones ad tables, so that you can sync your still and moving images directly to your device and then share them via email or your social media profiles.
Lastly, it’s a good idea to figure out how much you want to spend before you start shopping. Snorkeling cameras vary widely in price from under $100 to a few hundred dollars.
Generally speaking, higher priced cameras are more robust, more durable, more waterproof, and are outfitted with more features, while less expensive cameras are waterproof and do offer features, they aren’t as robust and feature-rich. Consider how much you want to spend before you start shopping so that you can avoid over-extending your budget.
Snorkeling Camera FAQs
Is the size of the camera important?
You should consider the size and weight of the camera, as it will impact its mobility and ease of use. While you don’t want it to be overly small, as it will be difficult to access the buttons and features underwater, you also don’t want it to be too large, otherwise it might be difficult to manage.
Are snorkeling cameras really waterproof?
Yes, of course! If they weren’t waterproof, you wouldn’t be able to use them for snorkeling.
What’s the best snorkeling camera brand?
It depends on your specific needs and your budget, as there are several high-quality brands to choose from such as Fuji and Olympus.
Snorkeling is always an adventure, and with the best snorkeling camera, you’ll be able to capture your adventures and preserve your memories for years to come. With the information that we have presented in this guide, you should have no trouble choosing the best snorkeling camera for your specific needs.